Author Topic: Hummers at the feeder  (Read 1320 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Hummers at the feeder
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
Caught this little hummer at the feeder this evening. Light was failing so no the best but still pretty cool little bird.

IMG_8952-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr

IMG_8940-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Hummers at the feeder
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:59:24 PM »
Funny cordex!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:29:59 AM »
Those are some cool shots, RKL.  You really have fun with that camera.

I'd get in trouble if I commented on cordex's picture.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:07:12 AM »
I'd like to have a hummer at the feeder.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 08:30:27 AM »
I'd like to have a hummer at the feeder.

New menu item at the Golden Corral?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
New menu item at the Golden Corral?

Let's take the standard up a little bit from the Golden Corral.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
Let's take the standard up a little bit from the Golden Corral.

Sizzler?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 04:43:45 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
White Castle?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »
I think the pics are more effective with the wing blurring.  I just looked it up --their wingbeats run around 80 per second --that's probably a maximum.

http://home.olemiss.edu/~larryago/hummingbirds/funfacts2.html

80 Hz:
https://youtu.be/nhc4u6nJSWk

Do you know the exposure time?  I'm thinking maybe about 1/250th, judging from the blur.

(
Heh.  Playing around with that frequency site.  This orta drive the household creatures nuts:

https://youtu.be/qNf9nzvnd1k

)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:52:33 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
I'd still like to try for a stop action shot just to prove I can do it.
Current effort is with film. Light wasn't great this evening but I think I got a few good ones. They don't seem to be too skittish so I'm going to try to get a little closer in the morning when the feeder is getting the early morning sun. If they spook with me too close I've got a 25' shutter release I'll try.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »
Lemme see ...

80 wing beats per second. The wings move maybe 5 inches per beat (x2 -- up and down). 10 inches times 80 beats = 800 inches per second.

So ...

Even at a shutter speed of 1/1000 the wings will be moving 800/1000 = 0.8 inches. Not really stop action. Methinks you need a shutter speed of around 1/4000 of a second and, even at that speed, the wings will move 0.2 inches. Still not really stop action.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 11:35:00 PM »
My super nifty Canon F1 only does 1/2000, so on film won't happen.  =D
Currently loaded with Ilford HP5+ shooting at ASA 800. Only 1 stop over box speed so not a big push. Probably soup it in Microphen for the little bit of speed boost that will give me.

However, my marvel of technology Canon 70D DSLR will click at 1/8000, so... possible. I think I'll have to set the ISO(ASA) pretty high but it will be attempted.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 11:37:27 PM »
I think the pics are more effective with the wing blurring.  I just looked it up --their wingbeats run around 80 per second --that's probably a maximum.

http://home.olemiss.edu/~larryago/hummingbirds/funfacts2.html

80 Hz:
https://youtu.be/nhc4u6nJSWk

Do you know the exposure time?  I'm thinking maybe about 1/250th, judging from the blur.

(
Heh.  Playing around with that frequency site.  This orta drive the household creatures nuts:

https://youtu.be/qNf9nzvnd1k

)

Any images from my DSLR will show the exposure data if you click through to Flickr

On the freq test, even with my audio maxed out I was out by 15Khz

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 12:09:51 AM »
Any images from my DSLR will show the exposure data if you click through to Flickr

On the freq test, even with my audio maxed out I was out by 15Khz

Got any dogs? I'll bet they LOVED you ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 01:05:44 AM »
I bookmarked that page just to use it to run the dogs out of my office if needed.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 02:43:02 AM »
Lemme see ...

80 wing beats per second. The wings move maybe 5 inches per beat (x2 -- up and down). 10 inches times 80 beats = 800 inches per second.

So ...

Even at a shutter speed of 1/1000 the wings will be moving 800/1000 = 0.8 inches. Not really stop action. Methinks you need a shutter speed of around 1/4000 of a second and, even at that speed, the wings will move 0.2 inches. Still not really stop action.

That's the way I was roughly figuring to get the 250th of a second.  Except I took the blurred portion estimated as a fraction (20-30%) of the full wing swing, and neglecting the sinusoidal-ish motion of the wing.

1 / (1/80 X .20 or .30 depending on the eyeball guesstimated fraction of the full wing swing.)

20% = 1/400th second
30%  = 1/266th second

So I figured 1/250th as a "standard" shutter speed.  (I know, newer cameras do not "open" to those oldey-timey fixed shutter speeds.  But Road King Larry said he was using a chemical camera, so that seemed reasonable as a SWAG.)

I told you that frequency sweep would drive all the critters nuts.  I done told you so.

I don't get no respect.  No respect at all. <adjusts tie, fusses with shirt cuffs>

Terry

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:14:27 AM by 230RN »