Author Topic: Mattis to Make Major Training Changes  (Read 1277 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Mattis to Make Major Training Changes
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
I reckon this will make much of the military happy. Mattis, after hearing of an enormous amount of complaints regarding mandatory training, is looking to reduce diversity, etc. training and increase warfighter skills training. I wonder if he'll be sending out mandatory reading lists? :)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/25/mattis-moves-to-refocus-military-training-on-warfighting-after-complaints-on-senseless-exercises.amp.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Mattis to Make Major Training Changes
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »
In other words, TEH WHITE SUPREMACY! I've no doubt Stephen Colbert is going to show a photo of klan robes, as an example of Mattis's suggestion for new uniforms. Please, please let me be wrong. ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:02:38 AM »
He also needs to cut the Pentagon staff by 25%.  Send them out to line units, and if there aren't enough slots, the Reserves and National Guard could use a bunch of full time help.

I couldn't find current numbers but here's from 2016:

As of Feb. 29, 2016, there were 411 one stars, 299 two stars, 139 three stars, and 37 four-star active generals and admirals, with several more appointed recently

That's 886 for 1,281,000 troops (enlisted and lower ranking officers).  Seems top heavy to me.

In 1945 there were roughly 1889 flag officers for 12,056,000 troops (enlisted and lower ranking officers)

We had 1017 flag officers at the end of the Cold War.   That's only 131 less then what we have now and we had 2,130,000 troops on active duty.  We've cut 900,000 troops since 1989 and only 131 Flag ranks. 

No wonder officers spend a lot of time doing NCO Business...

;/ ;/ ;/ ;/ :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:08:22 AM »
He also needs to cut the Pentagon staff by 25%.  Send them out to line units, and if there aren't enough slots, the Reserves and National Guard could use a bunch of full time help.

I couldn't find current numbers but here's from 2016:

That's 886 for 1,281,000 troops (enlisted and lower ranking officers).  Seems top heavy to me.

In 1945 there were roughly 1889 flag officers for 12,056,000 troops (enlisted and lower ranking officers)

We had 1017 flag officers at the end of the Cold War.   That's only 131 less then what we have now and we had 2,130,000 troops on active duty.  We've cut 900,000 troops since 1989 and only 131 Flag ranks. 

No wonder officers spend a lot of time doing NCO Business...

;/ ;/ ;/ ;/ :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

God no, we don't need anymore paper pushers on active duty in the National Guard.  Too many COL's and LTC's as it is on AGR/Fed Tech status and not enough NCO's and worker bees.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:09:53 AM »
God no, we don't need anymore paper pushers on active duty in the National Guard.  Too many COL's and LTC's as it is on AGR/Fed Tech status and not enough NCO's and worker bees.

Alright, then we'll find another use for those officers.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

Alright, then we'll find another use for those officers.

UGG! That poor guy.

They should have given him a cup.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:56:57 AM »
UGG! That poor guy.

They should have given him a cup.
Just be glad you don't rent an apartment or storefront in the building behind that (easily penetrated) wooden fence!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
Maybe it is for airguns or simunitions or something.  One can only hope.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »
I'm positive Secretary Kelly has been hearing the same thing from the Coast Guard.  A couple of the DHS mandated training we have to complete are so stupid it is insulting.  There is also one online training for hazmat that you can't test out of because the multiple choice answers in the pre test are incorrect.

;/