Author Topic: Another new phone scam  (Read 2232 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Another new phone scam
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:59:29 PM »
I just received a call from a woman from "The Pain Center".  She was so hard to understand with her Indian accent that I had to ask her to repeat the name twice, and she finally just spelled it.  The fact that she was in a very noisy call center didn't help my comprehension.
According to her, their records indicated that I had chronic pain in my back.  She had the wrong location.  The pain I have is somewhat lower, and much of it's due to calls from scammers like her.
I've never got a call for a health related scam before.  Anyone else getting these?  It came from a W. VA number, but I am sure it was bogus.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Another new phone scam
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »
"She had the wrong location.  The pain I have is somewhat lower, and much of it's due to calls from scammers like her."

Verrrry good. :)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 11:51:07 PM »
I do not entertain phone scammers for even a few seconds. I just say don't ever call me again and hang up. seems to work.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
I do not entertain phone scammers for even a few seconds. I just say don't ever call me again and hang up. seems to work.

It USED to work, now the calls are all robo calls and ya can't get a person without wading through a menu system if at all! I simply don't answer ANY number I don't recognize and let the call go to voicemail.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
Every couple of weeks I've been getting what I assume is a semi-spam call to "complete ordering" of my pain relieving back (or knee) brace to be paid for by medicare.

I'm assuming that they're associated with the similar commercials on TV, so are "sort" of legitimate.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »
Every couple of weeks I've been getting what I assume is a semi-spam call to "complete ordering" of my pain relieving back (or knee) brace to be paid for by medicare.

I'm assuming that they're associated with the similar commercials on TV, so are "sort" of legitimate.
The ones I get usually start with the outright lie that "someone at this number called us for a back brace" . . . by alleging that it's a return call, they're trying to skate around Federal and state "do not call" lists.

<expletive> crooked swindlers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
"someone at this number called us for a back brace" "trying to skate around Federal and state "do not call" lists."

Oh yeah! They all have started out like that and it never dawned on me that that's what that meant! I bet you're 100% right.

But, it doesn't work when I'm the only one living in the house...

"But you can't cite us, someone called us for a brace from that number!"

Uhm... no. I didn't make the call, and I know my dog didn't, either, so...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 01:31:12 PM »
I always assumed the office background noise was fake and added to make it sound professional or something.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
I always get a robo-call from Tracy at card members services letting me know there's nothing wrong with my account.  At which point I hang up.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 01:12:33 AM »
I always get a robo-call from Tracy at card members services letting me know there's nothing wrong with my account.  At which point I hang up.

Tracy has been good at keeping me informed, too.  At which point I also hang up.
And I've been getting calls lately to tell me that I can refi my student loans.  Except I have never had a student loan.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 07:14:26 AM »

If I don't get that one at least once a week I get worried that Tracy might have lost her job... :rofl:

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »

I'll agree with "sort" of legitimate, more than slightly scummy.  They maintain some legitimacy in that they work to obtain actual "patients" - even if their brace ends up being a POS no better than you can buy from the average Walmart or Walgreens, but is billed to medicare in the thousands.

Or the mobility scooters that end up killing those that become dependent upon them far quicker.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
Well here's an amusing one...

I was walking down the hall at the office a bit ago and heard the familiar strains of the "There's no problem with your credit card account, but you need to talk to us to reduce your rate!"

I figured it was coming from the conference room, so I was going to have a little fun.

Only...

The call was coming into the emergency panel in the elevator.

I had no clue that the elevator had its own phone number. Unfortunately there's no key pad, just a couple of "push to call" buttons, one for emergency services, one to the monitoring office.

I was very disappointed as I wanted to see how much this company could reduce the elevator's interest rate.