Author Topic: Seems to me he got off light!  (Read 1379 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Pb

• friend
Re: Seems to me he got off light!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »
Suppressor deregulation can't come fast enough.  I am afraid it will never come at all though.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
Got off light?  For what?  Selling empty metal tubes.  He didn't steal anything or hurt anyone.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:00:13 PM »
Got off light?  For what?  Selling empty metal tubes.  He didn't steal anything or hurt anyone.

The article didn't read that way:

Chauhan discussed by email and phone calls manufacturing silencers for the potential client, and importing more silencers and parts by labeling them as “auto parts” to evade U.S. Customs.

They set up a meeting, Chauhan arrived in Shreveport on Dec. 1, 2016 to meet the buyer and brought silencer parts with him. He traveled to a Bossier City restaurant to discuss the sale details with the buyer.  Agents recorded the meeting.

Chauhan did not have a license to deal or conduct a business involving silencers and parts as required by law, and the silencers and parts had traveled in foreign commerce.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »
Chauhan discussed by email and phone calls manufacturing toasters for the potential client, and importing more toasters and parts by labeling them as “auto parts” to evade U.S. Customs.

They set up a meeting, Chauhan arrived in Shreveport on Dec. 1, 2016 to meet the buyer and brought toaster parts with him. He traveled to a Bossier City restaurant to discuss the sale details with the buyer.  Agents recorded the meeting.

Chauhan did not have a license to deal or conduct a business involving toasters and parts as required by law, and the toasters and parts had traveled in foreign commerce.

Read it now and see if his conviction makes sense.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:41:04 PM »
Toasters and toaster parts aren't illegal to manufacture, import or posses without a federal permit/license. While I do NOT agree with the laws concerning silencers, they are valid federal law and he broke a few of them. That is what I am referring to.
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »
Toasters and toaster parts aren't illegal to manufacture, import or posses without a federal permit/license. While I do NOT agree with the laws concerning silencers, they are valid federal law and he broke a few of them. That is what I am referring to.

If you don't agree with the laws, how can you agree with the sentence?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:43:54 PM »
I didn't agree with Obama or Bill Clinton but we have legal ways of dealing with that. Granted, they pretty much failed but that is our legal system of government just like Trump is our current president and many would like to see his head on a pike. I have no issue with people bitching about it as long as they stay within our system of governments laws.

Also just because i said "It seems to me he got off light." does NOT mean I agree with or approve of the sentencing. I am more surprised by it than anything. I would have expected there to be a harsher sentence handed down.
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »
HeroHog, you have been cited for failure to virtue-signal.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 12:28:53 AM »
I agree with Herohog, I would have expected him to get more time.  I'm kinda surprised they didn't throw the book at him, as the ATF get's so few NFA prosecutions it seems like they always try to make examples of the idiots that get caught.

I say that while 100% agreeing that the law is BS.  There's a lot of BS laws on the books that we all still (supposedly) follow.  I can be simultaneously surprised the court gave him that sentence and dismayed that it was a crime at all.

On the bright side, at least he wasn't trafficking in people, and helping bring in an underclass that rich folks can exploit for cheap labor while avoiding tax laws.  Oh, wait, that's OK now.  My bad.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that toasters required some sort of FDA registration/compliance. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that toasters required some sort of FDA registration/compliance. 

I didn't think about the FDA angle then there are US UL safety standards. Hell, Ya may get in MORE trouble for the damned toaster!
MOLON LABE!