Author Topic: I still have hopes for the Trump presidency ...  (Read 3085 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
I still have hopes for the Trump presidency ...
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
... but they're fading fast. For a guy who became famous for saying "You're fired!" he just doesn't seem very capable at choosing underlings.

http://www.newser.com/story/246407/scaramucci-on-nasty-interview-i-thought-i-was-off-the-record.html

How can a communications director NOT know when he's on the record and when he's off the record?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: I still have hopes for the Trump presidency ...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
Mooch seems like a perfect fit.
If you think that Trump will be incensed by these distractions, then you clearly haven’t been keeping up with the Trumpians. This is a man whose idea of intimacy is Marla Maples boasting on the cover of the New York Post about his sexual prowess, and whose idea of leadership is a public execution (see: Lewandowski, Corey; the entire cast of the Apprentice). Trump grew weary of Sean Spicer’s attempt to stammer appropriate niceties to the Fake News MSM. Why please people when you can entertain them?

I've never been very convinced by the theories that much of craziness & infighting is fake or done intentionally as a distraction. If Scaramucci sticks around though I think that theory becomes a bit more believable. He's pure entertainment and very much Trump's style.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
I never expected the Trump Presidency to be everything I wanted.  My hopes got up a few months ago. 

My hopes are being MUCH MUCH more greatly affected by the complete inability of Ryan and McConnell to get anything useful done in Congress.  I am starting to think nothing will happen there.  I hope the next congressional elections will encourage some action next year.  I hope Trump gets nasty and picks a handful to campaign against when their primaries come around next year.  Certainly, the ones who voted against Obamacare repeal need to be taken out to the woodshed in their next election.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
I know I'll get blowback, but this is completely inappropriate behavior that has no business in the White House.

I complained about this stuff when Obama was in with the feet on the desk in the Oval Office, knuckleheads skateboarding in the White House, rappers visiting with their pants down to their knees, staff that appeared more like Google employees than White House staff, ad nauseum. Some of the stuff in this admin is worse IMO, and if I complained about Obama, then I have to complain here. Sorry, but I think appropriate decorum is absolutely essential for the highest office in the land. It is respect for the office and all it represents. Refer to the conduct of the GW Bush administration.

I've seen Scaramucci often on Fox Business, and he seems like a smart guy, at least regarding the economy, but Jeebus H Christ, the White House is not his Freshman year frat party. Also, somebody needs to tell him to stop making Jersey girl lips in his photos.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:40:16 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »

My hopes are being MUCH MUCH more greatly affected by the complete inability of Ryan and McConnell to get anything useful done in Congress.  I am starting to think nothing will happen there. 

As for Congress, unless they do a complete 180 and get something done in the next half year, the R's will be out in one if not both houses in 2018. I'll put good money on that. The odds are already against them given historical statistics on a president keeping his party in the majority in mid-terms. These guys are only stacking those stats.

This health care vote was a debacle. Rs that voted "yes" on this same repeal bill under the last admin now decided to vote the opposite and kill the repeal. I predict at least three of them will be out when they are next up for re-election, and that's that for a strong senate majority.

Also, now we have both Bannon and Trump calling for tax increases to 42%+ for the "rich". Pretty much the opposite of "tax reductions for everybody" that Trump ran on. Any tax overhauls they do accomplish (if they do anything) will not be done this fiscal year. Another nail in the mid-term coffin.

Now I'm just waiting for Congress to blow off national reciprocity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
I know I'll get blowback, but this is completely inappropriate behavior that has no business in the White House.

I complained about this stuff when Obama was in with the feet ion the desk in the Oval Office, knuckleheads skateboarding in the White House, rappers visiting with their pants down to their knees, staff that appeared more like Google employees than White House staff, ad nauseum. Some of the stuff in this admin is worse IMO, and if I complained about Obama, then I have to complain here. Sorry, but I think appropriate decorum is absolutely essential for the highest office in the land. It is respect for the office and all it represents. Refer to the conduct of the GW Bush administration.

I've seen Scaramucci often on Fox Business, and he seems like a smart guy, at least regarding the economy, but Jeebus H Christ, the White House is not his Freshman year frat party. Also, somebody needs to tell him to stop making Jersey girl lips in his photos.

My opinion of Trump has not changed: he is a horrible person and, really, it's sad that he's the president... Of course, he's still far better than his opponent.

However, just as with Obama, the president isn't the problem. He's a symptom of the problem.

I'd love to live in a world where people respect the office (while in it and while opposing it) and treated political adversaries with respect. We haven't lived in that world in more than a generation.

The left is now up in arms because it's a REPUBLICAN who's acting without respect, neither for the office nor for his opponents. Maybe a little sauce for the goose might make them wish to return to those times.

My guess, given that they've doubled down, is the answer to that will be no.

(Incidentally, I didn't vote for Trump. As it stands now, though, he's won my vote for re-election. I still dislike him as a person, but he's proven that he intends on following through on his promises.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »
My opinion of Trump has not changed: he is a horrible person and, really, it's sad that he's the president... Of course, he's still far better than his opponent.

(Incidentally, I didn't vote for Trump. As it stands now, though, he's won my vote for re-election. I still dislike him as a person, but he's proven that he intends on following through on his promises.)

I pretty much agree with you. Trump is better than the alternative. As I've mentioned before, I changed my write-in at the last minute to Trump more for the "burn it down" thing. Then I thought, "hey, this guy's not too bad!" Now I'm kind of heading back to "burn it down". Not from totally blaming Trump, who did get some good stuff done with EOs etc. (credit where credit is due), but now from kind of blaming the whole mess, including obstruction by both Ds and Rs, as well as all the civil service holdovers that are leaking and sabotaging left and right.

I've always thought that if nothing else, agree or disagree with them, the Rs have always been the more rational and logical party, working on fact and not emotion. The Maxine Waters type of nutballs were always on the D side. Now I'm seeing the Rs become the Ds.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 11:39:08 AM »

However, just as with Obama, the president isn't the problem. He's a symptom of the problem.

I'd love to live in a world where people respect the office (while in it and while opposing it) and treated political adversaries with respect. We haven't lived in that world in more than a generation.

The left is now up in arms because it's a REPUBLICAN who's acting without respect, neither for the office nor for his opponents. Maybe a little sauce for the goose might make them wish to return to those times.

Mostly this. He isn't the president we need, but he's the president our nation (sadly) deserves. It's as if some Republicans got together and decided that, since a "sharp-elbowed" narcissist won the last two elections, we should nominate someone that really showed 'em how it's done. And since people want to follow celebrities on social media, we should give them a celebrity candidate with a Twitter addiction. (Also, because the internet was such a factor for Obama's election(s).)

A while back, maybe 2015 or 2016, I read an article by an Australian blogger, about how conservatives (political and/or religious) can no longer expect opponents to reason with us. They're not interested in meeting our reasoning with superior reasoning anymore. They prefer to virtually (or actually) gather outside our bakeries or chicken sandwich restaurants, and scream at us until we give up. He described it as a transition from the Areopagus to the Octagon. (Or something like that.) I think, with Trump, GOP voters recognized this. We knew that a Cruz or a Paul would be better at making good arguments, but the Trump backers preferred a professional wrestler. Arguments are out; brute force is in.

Can't recall the blogger's name.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
1.  Scaramucci has to go.  Maybe he IS smart but he has a "smartmouth"  and the kind of vulgarity he indulged in, this to a reporter while he "thought" was off the record (though apparently it WAS SCARAMUCCI that CALLED the REPORTER)  has NO PLACE in the White House.
2.  Trump is NOT a CEO he's PRESIDENT.  Stop haranging his cabinet.  If he has to "have words" with a member, DO IT IN PRIVATE, DO NOT TWEET IT!
3.  While we're on TWEETING,  just STOP doing it ALTOGETHER!  You don't CHANGE THE  U.S. military's recruitment/personnel policies via TWITTER!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:
In short, The Trumpster had better get the administration in ship shape.  As it is it's falling apart and it is a dumpster fire.  We had that kind of election last November, and we're getting THAT KIND of administration.  
Mo Brooks, an Alabama rep, was interviewed on a local radio program today.  He said Trump is RAPIDLY losing gravitas in congress with regards to repealing Obamacare because of his failure to organize and discipline himself & staff.  Well, the dingbats in Congress certainly have their own problems (DO NOT get me started on McCain!!!!!!!!! :facepalm: >:D >:D >:D :facepalm: [barf] :mad: :mad: :mad: )  but Trump is only excacerbating the problem.
TRUMP:    
GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »

I am not sure there has ever been a time since our founding when your ideal was reality.  Perhaps short stints in between the norm.  If there was 24/7 news TV back when Jefferson and Adams were going against each other, I think people would have seen it different.  Burr and Hamilton did duel each other.  Jackson and Adams a little later.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
If nothing happens, I do not know if the R's are done or not.  The typical Trump voter is not likely to go vote for Democrats now.  The pro-Trump union voters have already seen positive things to keep them on board.  And I don't see any non-insane Democrats out there who could draw in undecided voters.  It won't help the R's, but I don't think a Democrat win is a sure thing in that scenario.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
How does the Communications Director think that he somehow outranks the Chief of Staff? Because that's how Scaramucci is acting.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 03:24:32 PM »
I am not sure there has ever been a time since our founding when your ideal was reality.  Perhaps short stints in between the norm.  If there was 24/7 news TV back when Jefferson and Adams were going against each other, I think people would have seen it different.  Burr and Hamilton did duel each other.  Jackson and Adams a little later.

Jackson and Adams fought a duel?  :O

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
How does the Communications Director think that he somehow outranks the Chief of Staff? Because that's how Scaramucci is acting.

Because he was appointed by Trump, to report directly to Trump. It's not that he outranks the chief of staff -- he's just not in the same chain of command.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »
I have a premonition that this will be the first modern presidency where high-level staffers get into a public fistfight.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 04:28:33 PM »

I'm rather certain the post WWII period of relative peace and relative respect was outside the norm.

So is the vast majority of our country's history. The normal state of man is violence, poverty, and oppression. I'd prefer not to be heading back to "normalcy."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
I'm rather certain the post WWII period of relative peace and relative respect was outside the norm.

So is the vast majority of our country's history. The normal state of man is violence, poverty, and oppression. I'd prefer not to be heading back to "normalcy."

Make America Exceptional Again

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »
I have a premonition that this will be the first modern presidency where high-level staffers get into a public fistfight.

Apparently not between Priebus and Scaramucci ...

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
But Bannon v. Scaramucci is still possible. And given the tempers of both of them I wouldn't rule either of them out versus some other staffer.

But is Bannon even on the staff officially? Or does he like a volunteer advisor?

just Warren

• friend

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 02:35:43 AM »
Scaramucci's wife filing for divorce.

I have no idea about that couples personal life, or Mr. Scaramucci's ambition, but I would opine that no one sane would voluntarily join this administration.  You know that everyone from ambitious reporters to idiot college students will devote themselves to taking your life apart and destroying you.  And they will make up crap if they can't find anything.  And you will have hipster aholes counting coup on social media by harrassing you and your family in public.  I suspect that Mrs. Scaramucci has no desire to sacrifice herself on the pyre of liberal anger so hubby can have a crap staffer position.*

*Which, if true, probably signals that she's more intelligent than the rest, and they should try and recruit her.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »
I highly doubt she filed for divorce because he took this job.  I may have been the final straw as normally things have been heading south for a while before someone files.  It might also explain his "off the record" tirade.  And lesson learned, if you are a "Friend of Donald", then everything you say or do will be used against you.

Also Priebus out.  John Kelly in as Chief of Staff.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/28/john-kelly-replaces-reince-priebus-as-white-house-chief-staff.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 10:28:04 AM »

Also Priebus out.  John Kelly in as Chief of Staff.

While Kelly seems like he's more respected than many of Trump's picks and will likely make a good chief of staff just from the "engages brain before putting mouth in gear" perspective, I'm kind of wondering if he won't end up being a bad choice not because of his abilities, but because he has to vacate his current position. When will we see his replacement given the dem resistance? 2019?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 04:48:57 PM »
Move Sessions to DHS, and appoint a new AG.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
Here's a nice article about Trump from a hardcore libertarian.

Though it seems Trump has been captured by non-Trump forces. All his ideological allies have been pruned away leaving only globalists and amnestyistas  and a CoS who is determined to keep the President hemmed in and kept away from non-mainstream publications, people, and ideas.