Author Topic: Hail and an Airplane  (Read 4203 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Hail and an Airplane
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »
Speaking to reporters after the landing, Akopov gave some insight into how he was able to land the aircraft safely.
"I have been flying for 30 years,” he said. “Well, did you see the plane landing? Was it OK? The passengers are alive. It is normal," he said, according to The Mirror.

Translated to: "What's the big deal, nobody died, get over it".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
I would like to have seen the leading edges of the wings of that Airbus.  I'll bet they looked pretty bad.
I once saw a Beechcraft King Air that had passed through a hail storm north of Colorado Springs. We all stood around in absolute awe because the pilot was able the land the thing successfully.  The windshield and leading edges of the wings were beat to crap.  The airfoil of the wings was disrupted completely.  None of us thought it should have been able to stay in the air.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:46:17 PM »
This is why we stay 20 miles from thunderstorms.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »
Here in CA, the hail (when we get it) is generally pea sized and not very damaging. I don't think I've ever seen hail damage in my entire life here.

My first experience with real hail only happened a couple of weeks ago when driving to Helena from Glacier National Park. It went from 85deg to 60deg in the span of a few miles, then started raining with drops the size of small dogs. Then it started hailing. Big and hard. I was really worried that I was gonna lose my windshield between the strength of the hailstorm and my speed on the highway. I was kinda thinking, "Would I be a wussy Californian if I pulled over?" when I came up to a couple of turnouts with a dozen people pulled over, so decision made. Fifteen minutes later it was down to CA sized hail and I started driving again, but I kept thinking about driving 50mph and that hail and my windshield*. I can't imagine what that's like when you're doing 350mph.

*Thank goodness for all the plastic on modern cars. I'm betting I would have had hail dents if my hood was metal.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:21:30 PM »
I'm surprised he had any engines left.  I know they test the engines against snow and birds and rain and hailstones, but gee, golf ball or chicken egg sized hail stones should have disrupted the compressor blades, it seems to me.

Somehow reminds me of the probably apocryphal story about the British engineers who wanted to test their aircraft windshield designs against birds in flight and asked the Americans how they built their compressed-air "chicken guns" which blew chickens at high speed at the windshields under test.

So the Brits copied the American chicken gun design and were dismayed to find that in every test, the high-speed chickens broke their test windshields.  Every single one.

After much discussion back and forth across the pond and much head scratching and deep analysis of the test parameters, the solution was found.

The Americans finally told them that they couldn't use frozen chickens.  You had to thaw them out first.

....Unnamed poster runs and hides without leaving any trace of forensic evidence.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:34:50 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
The son of one of my cousins used to have the job of shooting the chicken canon for one of the builders in Wichita. He said it was lots of fun.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:02 PM »
As to the 320...That'll buff right out.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:43:44 PM »
The son of one of my cousins used to have the job of shooting the chicken canon for one of the builders in Wichita. He said it was lots of fun.

I understand they were pump-action guns.

https://youtu.be/DToJph_PVFA

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 12:51:29 AM »
I had forgotten that British chicken cannon story, 230RN.  Thanks for the reminder.   It's still good for a laugh.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 01:21:59 AM »
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 04:28:03 AM »

^ Yes, Mythbusters did another one of their "investigations" of the frozen versus thawed chicken story.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://youtu.be/sCQ2oZtVNpg
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:04:30 PM by 230RN »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
This is why we stay 20 miles from thunderstorms.

But privatization will prevent all delays!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »
But privatization will prevent all delays!

You know the country has gotten FUBAR when you and I are in favor of more government.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »
You know the country has gotten FUBAR when you and I are in favor of more government.

I'm all for privatization if it's done right.  But this blowing smoke up my ass and calling it sunshine that both my Union and the administration are pulling ain't cutting it.
NATCA is desperately trying to convince us that we'll end up with pay raises, new equipment and 32 hour workweeks.
Pretty sure the union P and VP are on the take at this point.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »
I'm all for privatization if it's done right.  But this blowing smoke up my ass and calling it sunshine that both my Union and the administration are pulling ain't cutting it.
NATCA is desperately trying to convince us that we'll end up with pay raises, new equipment and 32 hour workweeks.
Pretty sure the union P and VP are on the take at this point.
The last part has likely been true for quite some time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 08:38:12 PM »
There are some parts (very, very few) of government that can't or shouldn't be privatized.  ICE to name one.  The USCG for another.  Air Traffic Control for another.  (Surprisingly, all of which should be under Commerce or Treasury.)  Defense should remain under fed.gov

But those are rare exceptions, just about everything else should either be eliminated or privatized.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 02:00:49 AM »
There are some parts (very, very few) of government that can't or shouldn't be privatized.  ICE to name one.  The USCG for another.  Air Traffic Control for another.  (Surprisingly, all of which should be under Commerce or Treasury.)  Defense should remain under fed.gov

But those are rare exceptions, just about everything else should either be eliminated or privatized.   

Remember the .gov couldn't even make money running a brothel.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »

It isn't the purpose of government to make money.

I have that problem when it comes to building permit fees. The concept of requiring permits and inspections is part of the so-called "police power of the state -- to promote public safety. To that end, a building department should charge permit fees that are sufficient to cover the cost of running the building inspection department. That's only fair -- the people using the system pay for the services they use.

In my state, I know of several smaller municipalities that are running their building departments as profit centers, and I have a problem with that. Once the fees exceed what's needed to run the department, the excess becomes a discriminatory tax, used to provide some services for the entire population but paid only by a small sub-set of the population.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »

ICE is also Customs Enforcement.  And yes, it should make money.   Up until the 16th amendment, it was pretty much the only way the Fed.Gov was financed.   And it should be the only way the Fed.Gov gets money.

Same with the FAA/Air Traffic Control.  Airport and Airline fees should pay for those services.

ICE should cover the costs of the USCG.

And we should charge other countries for Defense.  You want a bunch of US Troops on your border with your BSC Cousin,  Here's our bill.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »
The last part has likely been true for quite some time.

The sudden about face on privatization is staggering, really.  Honestly feels like the sole reason for it.  But at least the last union conference, the membership voted in a rule that any sitting president cannot serve on the board of privatized ATC for 1 year  ;/
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 07:54:34 AM »
Jesus the last two days have been a zoo.  But at least it's forecast to be worse today.
JD

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »
Jesus the last two days have been a zoo.  But at least it's forecast to be worse today.

Same around NY.