Author Topic: thin wood question  (Read 1306 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
thin wood question
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:56:16 AM »
So I've got some thin lath that we're using for a couple of projects.   One is a reclaimed wood accent wall, so the movement of the wood when sealing doesn't matter so much (because I'm nailing the daylights out of it when I put it on the wall).  But basically, when sealing the wood with a water based polycrilyc (Minwax to  be specific) some of the boards bow, some cup, and some twist.  This  wood is relatively thin, right around 3/16ths, 1 1/4 wide, and 4 feet long.  So the bowing and twisting is rather pronounced.

Again, this is getting nailed to an existing wall, so it's getting flattened when it's installed.  The question though, is for another project we're going to work on - these decorative "chevrons" made out of the lath.  The wood is going to be edge glued and then sealed.  Will I get less warping from an oil based product compared to water based?  or am I still going to be fighting a lot of warping/twisting even with oil based products?

Figure there's gotta be someone in this place with some woodworking knowledge/experience....  :D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: thin wood question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:28:39 AM »
Probably those boards were sourced from the younger part of a tree where the fibers were less developed, or cut from a log with compression wood.

Not sure if water vs oil based urethane will keep it from warping. Lathe is just cheap wood to begin with, because it was used to hold plaster to a wall.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »
Being an olde pharte(tm), I absolutely think an oil-based product is the way to go. Our ancestors devised oil-based finish products for one purpose -- to keep water out of wood. The concept of using water as a carrier for wood finishes is contrary to logic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »
"The concept of using water as a carrier for wood finishes is contrary to logic."

It's very logical if used and applied properly.

The difference in drying time itself is one of the primary advantages to using water based poly products. Two to 4 hours vs 4 to 24 hours is a significant difference.

Water-based polys are also great if you're looking for a variety of sheen levels. Oil based tend to be far shinier.

There's also the color casting to be considered. Water-based polys don't cast the color toward yellow/amber like oil-based polys do.

The difference in protective abilities is really a wash between the two.

In this application, however, chances are very good that the wood warping is being caused by the water-based poly, espeically if only one side is being coated.

The one application where I wish oil-based were still common and available is in porch paint. Oil-based porch paints, while a lot more of a pain in the arse and take forever to dry, are MUCH better at bridging the small gaps between floor boards.

The last couple of times I painted my Mom's porches at her house I used Sherwin Williams Duration. A great paint in its own right, and very durable, but bridging those little gaps with a latex paint is nearly impossible.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »
The concept of using water as a carrier for wood finishes is contrary to logic.

*blink*

Water is a solvent for polar molecules. Which is why your body needs it to survive and why it is called the "universal solvent". It's not perfect for every application, but why would it not be a good carrier for plenty of finishes?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »
"but why would it not be a good carrier for plenty of finishes?"

Because...

TRADITIONS! Paint ain't not been the same since those EPA pansies made us stop using whale squeezings as a carrier for the pigment, which ain't been the same since the same EPA pansies make it all wussified and non-toxic!

:rofl:

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
"but why would it not be a good carrier for plenty of finishes?"

Because...

TRADITIONS! Paint ain't not been the same since those EPA pansies made us stop using whale squeezings as a carrier for the pigment, which ain't been the same since the same EPA pansies make it all wussified and non-toxic!

:rofl:

It's probable a lot of folks didn't know their stain or whatever was water based, because it had a higher viscosity than normal water. Ask someone what solvent their liquid dishwashing detergents uses. They'll likely stare at you in confusion, but the proper answer is "water".
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: thin wood question
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
*blink*

Water is a solvent for polar molecules. Which is why your body needs it to survive and why it is called the "universal solvent". It's not perfect for every application, but why would it not be a good carrier for plenty of finishes?
Cause get off my lawn!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »
*blink, blink*  Why would you use lath for anything other then lath ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• friends
Re:
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
Good question but I would say more than likely. I'd say your best bet is thin your coats and up the coat count if needed. You could also perhaps sacrifice some length and use the ends to clamp or held them flat, then trim off the ends after finishing.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: thin wood question
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »
*blink, blink*  Why would you use lath for anything other then lath ??
I am going to guess the term free is somewhere in the reasoning

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 05:07:51 PM »
Then let them dry (if you can) for a year and throw away all the bent ones.  You might get 2 or 3 good ones then.

Sometimes "free" ends up costing you more in the end.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:16:15 AM »
Then let them dry (if you can) for a year and throw away all the bent ones.  You might get 2 or 3 good ones then.

Sometimes "free" ends up costing you more in the end.

They have been....   Sitting in my garage for over a year, cross stacked for airflow between.  Granted, this is the pacific NW, so 9 months out of the year we've got pretty high relative humidity, but it's been dry as a bone for the last couple months. 

As far as why I'm using lath, because my lovely wife saw some pictures of people using lath for reclaimed decorative walls. And liked it.  So I got to put up a *censored* decorative reclaimed lath wood wall.  And then she saw the picture of the decorative chevrons.   So guess what?  Yup.  I get to figure out how to build these *censored* decorative chevrons. 

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
Pay Rev to nuke Pinterest from orbit. Cheaper in the long run, millions of guys will thank you and people will stop making home decor out of pallets.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 01:12:24 AM »
Pay Rev to nuke Pinterest from orbit. Cheaper in the long run, millions of guys will thank you and people will stop making home decor out of pallets.

Rev, what's your fee on something like this... And are you willing to take payments? 

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 02:59:40 AM »
Is what you have actual reclaimed lath out the walls of an old plaster and lath house* ??  Or is this lath recently purchased from a lumber yard/hardware store ??

If you are going to do what you stated, then go to a lumber yard (hell, even Homeless Despot might have some) and buy some "thin wood" in Walnut, Beech, Oak, Maple, and Cherry.  (Maybe even a flooring store would have what you are looking for), then you get various natural colors, without having to deal with cheap, rough-hewn, fast-grow pine that's going to warp all to hell 30 seconds after you install it.

Either way, having Rev nuke Pinterest is the best idea I've heard in awhile.   Or you could have an accidental bonfire while she's not home.

In which case, it probably should not be warping, as 1) it's old, and 2) the plaster would have pulled most/all of the moist out.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.