Author Topic: Data Comm  (Read 496 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Data Comm
« on: August 02, 2017, 11:29:18 PM »
Alaska Airlines just blogged about this new technology for communications between ATC and flight crews.  What sayeth the resident experts?  How does this affect the situational awareness of other pilots?

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/fleet/improved-communication-between-our-pilots-and-atc-without-even-talking/amp/
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Data Comm
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:36:57 PM »
We have been sending txts for what 15 years now. So what took so long? Oh ya .gov stupidity.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Data Comm
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:57:18 AM »
Alaska Airlines just blogged about this new technology for communications between ATC and flight crews.  What sayeth the resident experts?  How does this affect the situational awareness of other pilots?

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/fleet/improved-communication-between-our-pilots-and-atc-without-even-talking/amp/

This is the first I have heard of Data Comm, but it sounds like CPDLC.   I like the idea, though.  We already get a ton of information through ACARS, which is basically texting for airplanes.  Like the article said, radio congestion is getting worse so anything that can reduce congestion or speed up the flow of traffic is a good idea.  I am surprised to see it used for ground control, though.  As I understand it, the Data Comm is a slow reaction system.

On Alaska’s flights to and from Hawaii, Data Comm also provides air traffic controllers a far more exact level of aircraft position awareness over the Pacific than in the past.

This is CPDLC (Controller-pilot data link communication).  It has been around for a few years now and is great to have for over water flights.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?