Author Topic: Storing Bulk Rice?  (Read 14463 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Storing Bulk Rice?
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
Not from the SHTF perspective, but from the use it up in 2-3 months perspective.

I've been eating a lot more rice lately, and was thinking about maybe getting it in the 25lb bags Costco sells. Any suggestions for the best way to store it semi-short term in easy to use (again, not sealing up for the apocalypse) containers? My dad eats a ton of rice, so I can get rid of a good portion that way. I have a vacuum sealer, but can't remember if you can vacuum seal rice or not. Or maybe it's still more efficient to buy small quantities at the store?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Storing Bulk Rice?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
If you're using it within 3 months, I'd not be too worried about vacuum sealing. (Also 25 pounds in 3 months? For 2 people? You DO eat a lot of rice.)

Anyway, how about one of these?: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/iris-usa-airtight-pet-food-container-50-lb-69-qt?cm_vc=IOPDP2

That one can hold 50lbs, but there are smaller.

We go though about 5-10 lbs in 2-3 months, so I just store it in a large glass jar that holds 5 lbs. (I think it may have been an industrial size pickle jar, but I've long since washed off any identifying papers.)

Nice, this one has a scoop attached: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/buddeez-50-qt-roll-away-dispenser-wattached-scoop?cm_vc=-10005

(The ones I picked up from ALDI for duck feed would also work for this and cost a lot less. You'd have to watch for them to show up at ALDI again, though. Wal-mart also has feed containers fairly cheap.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »
If it's polished white rice, portion it out into plastic storage containers with lids that are as air tight as possible.

If it's brown rice with the hull intact, portion it out into plastic storage containers and FREEZE it. That will prevent the oils in the bran from going rancid.

And of course you can vacuum seal rice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:08:19 PM »
Portion it into zip-top freezer bags or vacuum seal it. Chuck it in the freezer. It will keep almost indefinitely.

You can do the same with flour and cornmeal if you use enough to justify the purchase. When I made all my own bread I would 25 lb sacks of bread flour and portion it into Ziplock freezer bags for long-term storage. I used some recently that I know is the at least five years old. Probably closer to six or seven. No issues or strange flavors.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »
Okay, maybe longer than 2-3 months -  I  was just guestimating. :)

On the vacuum sealing, I was verifying only because up until recently, I thought vacuum sealing brown sugar would be just fine, but then ran into some info that said it can lead to bacteria growth, at least in vacuum bags. It seemed canning jars were okay. I didn't dig into it further, but it got me into a mindset where I'm doublechecking before I willy nilly vacuum seal stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
Is it Uncle Ben's Rice?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »
Uncle Ben's Perverted rice, actually...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »

Honestly can't remember the last time I made normal rice. Normally I snag couple boxes of Zatarain.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
At work they go through a lot of those big plastic jars of pretzels and I've used those.  I've never kept track but I would guess over three months sometimes.  Also used the large screw top canisters (Rubbermaid?) that come in gallon and larger sizes.  Never tried it with brown rice though.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 05:27:54 PM »
In my house, a 5lb bag of rice will last us a couple of months, depending on the time of year and what everyone is hungry for.  We use a big RubberMade container.  Scoop out what we need, put the lid back on and store it in a cabinet.  We usually keep 4 or 5 bags in our pantry, depending on prices at the store (long grain white rice).  Never had any issues or problems this way.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »
I'm currently using a couple of the heavy black jugs that protein powder comes in.  I have a smaller container in the kitchen.

White rice should keep at least as good as flour.  Probably better.  Just keep it dry.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 10:53:16 PM »
Honestly can't remember the last time I made normal rice. Normally I snag couple boxes of Zatarain.

This, and being single, I buy the biggest boxes they've got and split them down to my serving size in Ziplocs, noting what it is and the amount of water to add on the bag with a Sharpie.  Not sure how long it'll keep that way, as I think the longest I've had any around was a couple weeks when I forgot it was in the back of the cabinet.

I do keep a few kinds of white rice around, but usually just in their regular 2-5lb bags.  I'd think as long as you can keep it dry and bug-free, it should last a long time.  To that end, though, I might look more at positive pressure rather than vacuum; a canister with dry CO2 just a bit over atmospheric pressure should keep it as long as you want.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 01:28:22 AM »
I keep two 20 lb bags around, the one I am knowing on now is several years old. I just leave it in the bags and store it in an unused cooler in a cabinet. Keeps pests out, further moderates temp swings in a climate controlled place.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 08:19:31 AM »
I like rice, preferably brown or wild.
My wife can't cook rice to save her life, she can *expletive deleted*ck up instant rice.
If she buys rice she buys plain rice she gets weird stuff.
She'd rather eat plain instant mashed potatoes.
It's pretty much my job to cook rice.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
I don't know if everyone already knows the microwave method for cooking rice. I love that I can start it and forget it while making something else on the stove.

1:2 rice to water (as normal)

5 mins on high (to get it boiling)

15 mins on 50% power (covered)

Fluff with a fork afterwards.

20 minutes to cooked rice with minimal attention. Pretty much zero chance of burning.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
Baked rice is a walk-away favorite of mine.

Preheat oven to 350

1 cup rice
2 cups water or stock, boiling or near
Oil or melted butter, roughly a tablespoon (or, if you're me, half a stick of butter because... butter)
Large pinch salt, about  teaspoon

Pour everything into a greased casserole. Cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Let stand covered at least five minutes before fluffing and serving.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
I keep two 20 lb bags around, the one I am knowing on now is several years old. I just leave it in the bags and store it in an unused cooler in a cabinet. Keeps pests out, further moderates temp swings in a climate controlled place.

I too leave it in the bag until I open it up.  It's once it's opened that I transfer all the rice to other containers, mostly so that I don't have a bag that I need to figure out how to close again lest I spill rice "everywhere".  If the bags were resealable, I'd leave the rice in them.

Quote from: makattak
I don't know if everyone already knows the microwave method for cooking rice. I love that I can start it and forget it while making something else on the stove.

That's the recipe I use, except I often go for 40% power.  That's probably microwave dependent.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
So Brad is a rice fluffer...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brad Johnson

• friend
Re:
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
So Brad is a rice fluffer...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's a bad habit I picked up from Dunaway.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
It's a bad habit I picked up from Dunaway.

Brad

I thought he was a furry...

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
I keep the 25 lb bag in a five gallon bucket with a lid.  Keeps anything that might want out, out.

I have a large glass jar in the kitchen that I keep full from the bag.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »
I store barley malt in 5 gallon buckets.  It keeps for at least 2 years.  Each bucket hold a little over 20 pounds.  (I know you didn't ask about malt)

White rice will store just fine in the bag it came in for years if you keep it dry.  Bugs don't even seem to like it; moisture level is probably too low for them to survive.  25 lbs ought to easily fit in a 5 gallon bucket (Put a Gamma seal lid on it of you wanna get fancy), and might fit in an Utz cheese ball container.  The 35 ounce containers from Sam's Club hold about 2.5 gallons.  Or fill the cheese ball container with however much it will hold, and use up the rice that's left in the bag first.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:16:00 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »
Was talking to a friend about this.  He has a restaurant, and a farm, so I figured he's probably got some cool container he uses for food storage.  For things like rice and beans, he uses good quality 2 liter bottles.  His reasoning is that the plastic is tough and durable, and won't degrade if it's stored decently.  Plus, the containers are air tight and water tight, and bugs can't get in either.  He takes the bottles, peels the labels, and washes with soap and hot water, then a commercial sterilizing agent for dishware (something I can't remember the name of that they use in his restaurant).  When it's completely dry inside, he fills the bottle with rice, beans, lentils, dried peas, and similar food stuff.  He writes the date and a description on the outside with a Sharpie, and puts the bottle on shelving in his basement.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 11:14:10 PM »
then a commercial sterilizing agent for dishware (something I can't remember the name of that they use in his restaurant).

Since he's drying them completely, it likely doesn't matter what's used.  Bleach at 1-2tbsp/gallon of water should be fine, and cheaper than any other option.

For very long term storage, CO2 or a noble gas (not sure how hard it would be to get, for example, food grade argon, though) injected to the bottom of the bottle with a wand before capping will also displace the oxygen inside.