Author Topic: Monday Eye Roll Smorgasbord  (Read 4026 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Monday Eye Roll Smorgasbord
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »
Well, I just thought the one about the Chinese tourists was interesting. Not that China wouldn't potentially do the same kind of thing. I just don't know that you could expect the average Chinese tourist to understand, and there might have been better ways for an "enlightened" country to handle the situation.

It borders on ironic that the tourists were arrested for a "crime against the state" that was put in place because of a previous government that would have arrested people for similar gestures offensive to that government.

The Chelsea Handler comment in that link doesn't really deserve commentary.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:36 AM »
I've seen several "FOOD ROTTING IN THE FIELDS !!!!!!  OHTHENOES !!!!! STARVATION!!!!  FAMINE!!!!! UNLESS WE HAVE ILLEGALS !!!!" news stories, and the theme is the same.  Americans just won't do the work...

True, they won't, not when the difference in sitting on their ass at home collecting unemployment/welfare or working in a field is $10-$20 a month....
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:46:37 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »
Americans just won't do the work...

True, they won't, not when the difference in sitting on their ass at home collecting unemployment/welfare or working in a field is $10-$20 a month....

May I please steal this? I usually cite these as "Stolen from a forum friend:"
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
I've seen several "FOOD ROTTING IN THE FIELDS !!!!!!  OHTHENOES !!!!! STARVATION!!!!  FAMINE!!!!! UNLESS WE HAVE ILLEGALS !!!!"  and the theme is the same.  Americans just won't do the work...

I've been making it a habit for the last few years to check out the vehicles of all the orange pickers that show up at the various orchards near me. Around here, there are no "van pools" from the various packing houses - everybody shows up in their own cars, and from the number of cars, I think there is very little carpooling.

There are very few junker cars. I would unscientifically say that 50% of the vehicles are five years old or less. While most seem to be lower end, they are nevertheless newer, including plenty of pickups (which aren't real cheap nowadays).

Average pay here is $16/hr and rising. I think there is plenty of overtime. With the local cost of living, that's actually not bad for low-middle income. Still not good enough for white welfare kings and queens to get off their ass, even in an environment where the citrus industry is begging for workers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »
May I please steal this? I usually cite these as "Stolen from a forum friend:"
 :old:

You always do... ;) ;) ;) ;) =D =D =D =D =D =D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
At least I ask before stealing them, most of the time...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »
Hey, one more eye roller, because Twitchy seems to be on an eye roll roll today.

Cheese is sexist you enslavers of female bovines!

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/08/07/woke-af-peta-claims-eating-cheese-is-sexist-against-female-cows-no-seriously-stop-laughing/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »
Side tangent:

When did this "woke" thing start? I've only been hearing that particular bit of SJW nonsense for a couple days now. Is it new or am I just out of the loop on SJW vernacular?
It's just so hard to keep track...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »
Side tangent:

When did this "woke" thing start? I've only been hearing that particular bit of SJW nonsense for a couple days now. Is it new or am I just out of the loop on SJW vernacular?
It's just so hard to keep track...

You were unaware, because you were sleeping - JUST LIKE THE PATRIARCHY WANTS YOU TO!!

(Please go back to sleep. We of the Patriarchy are not quite finished oppressing you.)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »

You were unaware, because you were sleeping - JUST LIKE THE PATRIARCHY WANTS YOU TO!!

(Please go back to sleep. We of the Patriarchy are not quite finished oppressing you.)

I could use a nap... *yawn*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 01:16:59 PM »
I'm actually not sure when "woke" made it into mainstream SJW whining, but I think in the last couple of years? It's probably been around longer, but I think the term really started to spread in combination with BLM and college attacks on free speech.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
I could use a nap... *yawn*

Thank goodness. She almost escaped our evil machinations.

So far, I haven't noticed the right, alt-right, libertarians, etc. hijacking the term. It seems like it would be an apt description for recovering leftists like Dave Rubin, for example.

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »
I saw a Virginia license plate that said "WOKE".  They drove as if they were asleep.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
I saw a Virginia license plate that said "WOKE".  They drove as if they were asleep.

Did you roll coal for them?  :lol:

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
"Woke."

I believe, from its context, the correct form should be "awakened."  But, like bluestarlizzard, it kind of sneaked up on me.

At present, I see it as possibly:

-- yet another form of deliberately dumbing down the populace with the ultimate long-term goal of shaping a "newspeak" which will not allow criticism of the present state of society

--  an attempt at "consciousness-raising" by leftists by introducing something which will be discussed  endlessly, thereby bringing more attention to their position --as in this present thread

-- an ignorant misuse by some dolt of tenses in the English language which just "caught on," as in  so many other neologisms spread by the internet

I think that last one is most likely, but that's how I'm looking at it at present.

Just noodling it around in my mind with no presentable conclusion yet.

Terry

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
I only heard the term after Trump's election.  It was the newest of the virtue signaling terms....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
"Woke."

I believe, from its context, the correct form should be "awakened."  But, like bluestarlizzard, it kind of sneaked up on me.

At present, I see it as possibly:

-- yet another form of deliberately dumbing down the populace with the ultimate long-term goal of shaping a "newspeak" which will not allow criticism of the present state of society

--  an attempt at "consciousness-raising" by leftists by introducing something which will be discussed  endlessly, thereby bringing more attention to their position --as in this present thread

-- an ignorant misuse by some dolt of tenses in the English language which just "caught on," as in  so many other neologisms spread by the internet

I think that last one is most likely, but that's how I'm looking at it at present.

Just noodling it around in my mind with no presentable conclusion yet.

Terry

Based on context, yes, I would say they are using it as slang for "awakened".  That seems kind of obvious.

I'm betting it's a combo of two and three. These people have not shown a lot of creativity or familarity with the English language (or any other language, for that matter) when it comes to their buzz words. I would also think that twitter's letter count has something to do with it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
I would also think that twitter's letter count has something to do with it.

Good point. First texting started changing common use language, and now Twitter certainly has as well. I'm of an age where all these language replacements and contractions came to me, so I'll never get used to them. It would always bug the hell out of me getting them in work texts from the younger people. But for people born into it, they seen nothing wrong with it.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
"I would also think that twitter's letter count has something to do with it."

Agreed on this, hadn't thought of it.

A couple of years ago, a local newspaper had a tweet-like forum which had a 255-character limit.  Had a hard time fitting my drivel into that constraint.  Started using implied subjects and dropping a lot of articles like "a" and "the."

Sounded like I had a Russian accent after a while:

"Couple years ago, local newspaper had tweet-like forum which had 255-character limit."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:54:12 PM by 230RN »