Author Topic: Google Shows It's Woke on Diversity- James Damore Lawsuit  (Read 8860 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Google Shows It's Woke on Diversity- James Damore Lawsuit
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:29:29 AM »
By firing the guy who had a diverse opinion. Again (before somebody jumps in to tell me) they are a private (well, publicly traded) company and can fire and hire who they want, but this is pretty hypocritical, especially if you listen to their "reasoning". No different than the UC Berkeley campus.

As much as I like using Google products, this kind of crap makes me consider veering in the Luddite direction and getting by with lesser technology, just to not feed the beast.

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/08/07/employee-whose-memo-criticized-google-as-an-ideological-echo-chamber-reportedly-fired/

Oh, and here is an example of the Google mindset on the matter:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-08/google-fires-employee-behind-controversial-diversity-memo?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Google Shows It's Woke on Diversity- James Damore Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:52:20 AM »
You take Caesars silver, you do Caesar's bidding.

You just can't  criticize your employer on a public forum and not expect repercussions.
As soon as I saw that guys post I knew he would get the ax.
That's what speaking the truth earns these days.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:49:59 AM »
I love how they turned a guy who could have been dismissed as a cranky antisoc into a persecuted victim while also completely confirming his manifesto. Does this have something to do with how Trump got elected?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:46:48 AM »

You just can't  criticize your employer on a public forum and not expect repercussions.
That's what speaking the truth  your mind earns these days.

Agreed, before and after the fix.  Criticizing your employer in a public forum is never going to end well.  I bet every company has a social media policy that prohibits Bad Speak.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:41:58 AM »
I thought he wrote an internal (i.e. NOT public) memo. Blaming him if someone else took it public is classic shoot the messenger tactics.

We are unequivocal in our belief that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success as a company,” Brown said in the statement. “We’ll continue to stand for that and be committed to it for the long haul.”

The memo and surrounding debate comes as Google fends off a lawsuit from the U.S. Department of Labor alleging the company systemically discriminates against women. Google has denied the charges, arguing that it doesn’t have a gender gap in pay, but has declined to share full salary information with the government. According to the company’s most recent demographic report, 69 percent of its workforce and 80 percent of its technical staff are male.

So much for diversity and inclusion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:06:59 AM »

That's what speaking the truth earns these days.

You're right.

He didn't. He did it internally and someone who wanted him to get fired leaked it to the press.

Given California's rather expansive laws about workplace discrimination, he likely has a significant claim against Google now. I hope he sues them into the ground. (Of course, he can't, but we can dream.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:11:13 AM »

He didn't. He did it internally and someone who wanted him to get fired leaked it to the press.

He would have been fired anyway. After all, feelz wuz hurted.

And, after all, a guy who didn't even work for Google any more said he wouldn't assign people to work with the author of the memo. How damning is THAT?!?!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
I have to wonder if this would be called a "manifesto" if it was written by a lesbian writing about a heterosexual culture at Google. While the dictionary definition of "manifesto" can be used for this incident, the word itself has, in my experience at least, always had a negative connotation. Bad people write manifestos, good people write essays or memos.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »
"The company was founded under the principles of freedom of expression, diversity, inclusiveness and science-based thinking”

-Alphabet Chairman Eric Schmidt

;/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
The text of the memo:

https://diversitymemo.com/

ETA: he has a job offer from WikiLeaks:  http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/wikileaks-google-anti-diversity-memo/

Quote from: Julian Assange
Censorship is for losers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:28:16 PM by Angel Eyes »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »
I knew the ax would fall the minute I read the new Diversity Exec's response to his memo....

"It puts the diversity on its skin, or else it gets the hose again."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:23:36 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
I knew the ax would fall the minute I read the new Diversity Exec's response to his memo....

The fact that there is such a position as "Diversity Executive", which apparently has nearly the power of a CEO, is a travesty. Straight outa 1984. Or the Political Officer on the Red October.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
The fact that there is such a position as "Diversity Executive", which apparently has nearly the power of a CEO, is a travesty. Straight outta 1984. Or the Political Officer on the Red October.

Quoted for truth! Damn it, "1984" was a warning, not a frikin instruction manual!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
The fact that there is such a position as "Diversity Executive", which apparently has nearly the power of a CEO, is a travesty. Straight outa 1984. Or the Political Officer on the Red October.
Oh it's a thing. Lot of big corps have it or similar. Hell we have a VP of Diversity and Inclusion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »
Oh it's a thing. Lot of big corps have it or similar. Hell we have a VP of Diversity and Inclusion.

Oh, I realize big companies, corps, and govs have them and have had them for a while. The travesty for me is the amount of power they have been given of late. Usually a VP of this or that doesn't have as much power as the title would infer, but that doesn't seem to be the case with these "diversity executives".

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »
Oh, I realize big companies, corps, and govs have them and have had them for a while. The travesty for me is the amount of power they have been given of late. Usually a VP of this or that doesn't have as much power as the title would infer, but that doesn't seem to be the case with these "diversity executives".
You will be inclusive or will be excluded!

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »
Quoted for truth! Damn it, "1984" was a warning, not a frikin instruction manual!

So was Idiocracy yet the lowbrow left has embraced it as an instructional video none the less.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 10:39:54 PM »
The text of the memo:

https://diversitymemo.com/

ETA: he has a job offer from WikiLeaks:  http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/wikileaks-google-anti-diversity-memo/

They shouldn't have fired the guy, they should have made him the CEO.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:22:36 AM »
"The company was founded under the principles of freedom of expression, diversity, inclusiveness and science-based thinking”

-Alphabet Chairman Eric Schmidt

;/

And, like most people, you left off the second part of that vision statement...

"As long as everything things, feels, and believes the same thing without dissent."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
Having read the "memo", there isn't anything scientifically wrong, inaccurate or even offensive about it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »
Well, having now read the memo, it's pretty obvious why the guy was fired.

He wasn't fired for being a dickcentric purveyor of mysogynistic hurty stereotypes.

He was fired because he dared to challenge the hive mind that is Google.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »
Unless you're a SJW...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
Having read the "memo", there isn't anything scientifically wrong, inaccurate or even offensive about it.

If anything, he's actually "pro-woman" in that he makes suggestions that would promote more female participation and advancement on the tech side.