Author Topic: Sig P320 not drop safe  (Read 4622 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Sig P320 not drop safe
« on: August 11, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »
So this week I have seen an avalanche of chatter and videos on the Sig P320 discharging when dropped on its rear end. What says the collective about the repercusion on the individual user, the brand and on the Army contract?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Sig P320 not drop safe
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:07:14 PM »
How does the very model of a major modern gunmaker produce a non-drop-safe gun?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »
IDK but selling a modern service pistol that has the same issue as a 1880's single action revolver is perplexing. Perhaps the design was rushed through. If I recall correctly it is a direct derivative the DAO P250 that was a commercial flop. Short cuts may have been taking when adapting a hammer fired trigger system to a striker fired weapon.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »
I know it's classified as a DAO but the stiker is significantly pretensioned during slide action. No amount of engineering can overcome the fact that internal components will shift when subject to a substantial impact. Things shift, the striker is release. Physics.

If I understand the P320's innerds correctly, the only safety interlock is a striker block which moves out of the way as the trigger is depressed. From what I gather the movement of the trigger is enough to move this striker block juuuuuuuust enough for it to allow striker movement and for the sear to trip. Essentially the trigger mechanism is functioning just as if the trigger has been intentionally pulled.

With no redundancies such as manual, grip or trigger safeties then it was just a matter of time before this happened. If it hadn't been this then it would likely have been a slightly misaligned holster port or a piece of gear snagging the trigger during reholstering. Regardless of the lightened triggger in M17 variants it's certainly not something I'd trust in the rough-and-tumble environment of a battlefield. Too much gear, too much movement, too much of a whole bunch of stuff that can snag, press, punch, poke, or otherwise activate a trigger which take only a few pounds to trip.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »
The .gov of many states, and thus now apparently a de facto standard, is to test for discharge if the firearm is dropped straight down on the muzzle. So in developing the P320 SIG tested to that "standard" and it passed. Now, field experience (including a SWAT cop in Connecticut who shot himself in the leg by dropping a holstered pistol) has show that if the P320 is dropped at a 30 degree angle, muzzle tilted up and firearm upside down so it lands on the back of the slide, it can (and often does) go off. It's the mass (and attendant inertia) of the trigger mechanism itself that does the dirty deed. There's a striker block, but no trigger block.

The military M17 isn't affected because it uses a different trigger mechanism. It seems this, ah ... shall we say "issue" ... became apparent before or during the military trials so the XM17 used a different trigger. SIG has now issued a "voluntary recall" to repair all of the old design P320s in the wild. The fix involves installing a lighter trigger mechanism, but my understanding is that it also involves some machingin of the slide and received, so there must be more to it than just the weight of the trigger.

Much of the chatter is about whether not SIG knew about the problem and kept quiet, or only found out when they started getting reports from police departments around the country. To me, the fact that the gun they're selling the military uses a different trigger mechanism, coupled with the fact that virtually as soon as the news went viral they had a fix and announced a recall, strongly suggests that they knew and kept quiet.

But that's conjecture on my part.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
Hawkmoon summarized what I have heard.  As long as they actually do the recall, I have no issue.  I heard they would post details on 8/14. 

One of the links I saw shows someone hitting the back of the pistol (the striker) with a hammer and getting it to go off.  I have no idea if others pistols would pass this "test" or not.

My other wonder is if the Sig passed "standard" tests, what other pistols out there have passed "standard" tests, but might fail otherwise?  I am frustrated because I was hoping to throw a couple of loaded pistols around the house this weekend and now I am worried they might go off. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:56:45 PM »
That is a big issue... if they knew it would consistently go off if dropped form waist height, and still went ahead and pushed it on the commercial market. Criminal negligence at the least.

Why do standard tests only consider pistols dropped on the muzzle or side? Is the test rigged to hide modes of faliure that are harder (more costly) for the manufacturer to prevent?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/sig-sauer-p320-fails-drop-test/

The first drop test we engaged in with our assortment of four Sig P320 pistols was structured on the California DOJ drop test, conducted at one meter and one centimeter above a concrete pad with the pistol dropped precisely at six different angles, all of which require the bore to be parallel to or perpendicular to the ground. All of our P320 pistols passed this test, which matches neatly with statements from Sig on the matter.

However, I decided to continue testing using other protocols, which call for drops from 1.5 meters, or approximately 5 feet. In doing so, I accidentally dropped the P320 Compact 45ACP at an incorrect angle. As the pistol fell, I thought to myself, “What a waste, we’re going to ding this pistol up again for nothing.” When it hit the ground, a loud POP echoed through the building, and the muzzle flashed as the primer exploded. We were surprised.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »
Why do standard tests only consider pistols dropped on the muzzle or side? Is the test rigged to hide modes of failure that are harder (more costly) for the manufacturer to prevent?

How can any standard test fully anticipate all firearm designs? In the case of the SIG, the magic configuration to initiate an accidental discharge is 30 degrees off the vertical, with the gun upside down (slide lower than receiver). For some other gun, it might be 45 degrees ... or 30 degrees from the horizontal ... or at an angle with the muzzle down instead of up ... or ...

I don't think the tests are rigged. In fact, the tests are mostly devised by states who WANT to ban as many guns as possible, not make them safer. California isn't likely to be in league with the gun manufacturers in specifying tests that are easier to pass.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »
Hmmm. There's no way of knowing then.

So this means that a drop un-safe pistol may be hiding anywhere, waiting for it's next victim in neigborhood gun shop, peering out from a friendly policeman's holster, lurking behind a gunsafe's heavy door, or sitting on a cofee table right next to you!

*looks suspiciously at G26 on table*  [tinfoil]

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
Sooooooo, you have to drop it at exactly the correct angle to get it to fire.... But if they reduce the weight of the trigger by 6-30% or put in the tabbed trigger, then even if you drop it a precisely the correct angle it won't fire.

So unlike every other military piece of kit ever made (Crashhawk, M16, etc.)  this item is having teething issues.   

Colour me shocked. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »
Sooooooo, you have to drop it at exactly the correct angle to get it to fire.... But if they reduce the weight of the trigger by 6-30% or put in the tabbed trigger, then even if you drop it a precisely the correct angle it won't fire.

So unlike every other military piece of kit ever made (Crashhawk, M16, etc.)  this item is having teething issues.   

Colour me shocked. 

No, the military version already has the improved trigger.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »
I know it's classified as a DAO but the stiker is significantly pretensioned during slide action. No amount of engineering can overcome the fact that internal components will shift when subject to a substantial impact. Things shift, the striker is release. Physics.

Brad

I diagnosed about the same thing with an admittedly cheap small SA ,22 auto pistol (Sterling).

Firing pin (striker) channel hole was enough oversized that if dropped with the top of the slide flat to the impact surface, there was enough clearance that the striker would keep going toward the top of the slide and slip off the sear.  Fortunately it was unloaded at the time, but I verified it several times.  I subsequently found it would sometimes double-tap in my hand from the impact of the slide closing.

So. While admittedly a cheapo, "yang happens."

Even with well-known major modern firearms manufacturers.  Wasn't there a recall on the new Ruger Model/Mark IV .22?

And there's the old one about the Remington Model 700 safety, which went on for decades before Remington "got it right."

Plus, S&W's recall of their version of the Walther .380.  I mean, y'know, Walther, f' cryin' out loud !

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:55:55 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:19 AM »
I knew they should have gone with the R51. [shakes head]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »

The 2.0 version of the R51  is decent,  but not, I think,  what  the army would want.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 01:03:42 PM »
:lol:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 11:50:46 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/sig-sauer-offers-voluntary-upgrade-of-p320-pistol-that-can-discharge-erroneously.html

Sig Sauer is offering a "voluntary upgrade" after "recent events indicate that dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge."
    The army's version of the gun is not affected, Sig Sauer said.
    The company will announce full details of the program Aug. 14.

I heard someone say the drop issue did not affect pistols assembled after October, but I have not see a link to that.  I will see what they say Monday. 

Bill Frady said there are probably more P320 pistols being dropped on concrete this week than anyone could imagine due to these issues.  And that is just the amateur testers.  =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
Can't we all just enjoy the exploding heads of the sig fanboi's for a little longer? Couldn't happen to nicer people.  :rofl:

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »
Can't we all just enjoy the exploding heads of the sig fanboi's for a little longer? Couldn't happen to nicer people.  :rofl:

What about Glock-heads or HK fans?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »
What about Glock-heads or HK fans?

Glock heads and HK fanboi's already have a bunch of funny meme's. Now we have sig ones too!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 06:00:20 PM »
Glock heads and HK fanboi's already have a bunch of funny meme's. Now we have sig ones too!
But are they sig worthy?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »
Recoil magazine interviewed two of Sig's people.

http://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauer-p320-safety-update-129040.html
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
Saw a video the other day of a guy who chambered a primed case (no powder/no bullet), the smacked the back of the slide with a gunsmith mallet while holding the pistol in a firing position. On the fourth hit, the gun fired.  So, I'm wondering if it's really the trigger being "pulled" by inertia from the fall/impact, or is there something in the mechanism.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
Saw a video the other day of a guy who chambered a primed case (no powder/no bullet), the smacked the back of the slide with a gunsmith mallet while holding the pistol in a firing position. On the fourth hit, the gun fired.  So, I'm wondering if it's really the trigger being "pulled" by inertia from the fall/impact, or is there something in the mechanism.
All I can think of is the firing pin moving with the impact. 

That said, I can't recall ever hearing of someone smacking the back side of a pistol with a hammer.  Is that something people do to test all guns or are they just doing it now because of the issue? 

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »
That said, I can't recall ever hearing of someone smacking the back side of a pistol with a hammer.  Is that something people do to test all guns or are they just doing it now because of the issue? 

Because of the issue, I'm sure.