Author Topic: Sig P320 not drop safe  (Read 4623 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Sig P320 not drop safe
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
Recoil magazine interviewed two of Sig's people.

http://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauer-p320-safety-update-129040.html

I first read that as Recall Magazine.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 11:45:25 PM »
"So, I'm wondering if it's really the trigger being 'pulled' by inertia from the fall/impact, or is there something in the mechanism."

"All I can think of is the firing pin moving with the impact."

Like I said upthread:

"Firing pin (striker) channel hole was enough oversized that if dropped with the top of the slide flat to the impact surface, there was enough clearance that the striker would keep going toward the top of the slide and slip off the sear."

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:37:07 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »
I first read that as Recall Magazine.

Well, Sig is doing a recall on the 320.   =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »
But are they sig worthy?

I just wanted you to know that somebody appreciated that one!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
I just wanted you to know that somebody appreciated that one!
Not me.  Bad puns leave a sauer taste in my mouth.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »
I'd say that my continuing to carry a revolver as my primary defensive handgun keeps looking better and better all the time. :)
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »
I'd say that my continuing to carry a revolver as my primary defensive handgun keeps looking better and better all the time. :)

I will stick with CZ. 

My Sig P320 is the only Sig I have gotten that I really like.  I have had the 220, 225, 229 and none seemed to work well for me.  The P320 I have seems to be a very very reliable pistol.  I just shoot my CZ P07 a little better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »
Right, because no revolvers have ever been capable of discharging when dropped.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »
Right, because no revolvers have ever been capable of discharging when dropped.

OMG! You're right! All we're going to do is kill ourselves when we drop our guns! It doesn't matter! It's inevitable!

Thanks, but I'll stick with my revolvers, especially over plastic fantastic crap.

So, that's Sig.

Taurus had this problem, too, with one of its "modern" handguns not that long ago.

Glock has allegedly had drop test problems in the past.

Give me one good reason why I should abandon my revolvers... I can't think of any.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 12:27:05 PM »
Guys, leave Mike to his revolvers and manual transmissions, and dial-up internet, and coal heat, and hand pumped wells.  This modern technology will never catch on anyway.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
Give me one good reason why I should abandon my revolvers... I can't think of any.
Never said you should.  Carry what you like.  

That said, how much sense does it make to feel vindicated in choosing revolvers based on the fact that some semi-autos are susceptible to firing when dropped if some types of revolver have been susceptible to exactly the same failure?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
"That said, how much sense does it make to feel vindicated in choosing revolvers based on the fact that some semi-autos are susceptible to firing when dropped if some types of revolver have been susceptible to exactly the same failure?"

Oh, I don't know, apparently about the same as your feeling like a sniggling self-righteous prat for "educating" everyone that OMG, Mike COULDN'T be making a completely tongue-in-cheek comment now, could he? He's REALLY serious!

You've done your job for today.

Bravo.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
"Guys, leave Mike to his revolvers and manual transmissions, and dial-up internet, and coal heat"

Coal heat? *expletive deleted*it, I wish!

Fantastic heat source, and one guaranteed to piss off the earth goddess mun men.

That's a double win.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »
Fantastic heat source, and one guaranteed to piss off the earth goddess mun men.

Yes, but if you piss off the goddess she's likely to send Mr. Carbon Monoxide to visit, and he's known as the silent killer for a reason.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
Oil, gas, wood, coal, then can all summon the angry silent god CO...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
Oil, gas, wood, coal, then can all summon the angry silent god CO...

So when are you going to do drop tests on all your revolvers?   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »
Just carry an original-recipe 1911. They don't even claim to be drop-safe. At least you know what you're getting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
My revolvers don't produce CO...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »
So when are you going to do drop tests on all your revolvers?   =)

Years ago I tossed my Charter Arms Undercover out of my second floor and onto a concrete slab patio, to address some people on TFL who were claiming that if you dropped a revolver a half millimeter onto a feather bed it would bend everything and cause it to lock up permanently.

I never could get it to malfunction, bend, shatter, or disappear through a wormhole...

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72856&highlight=charter+arms+patio

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
I look at it this way...any manufacturer will have an issue, even more so with a new design.  This is true for guns, cars, dishwashers, etc.  I don't judge SIG any more than I judge Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Winchester,  or any of the other major gun companies that have had recalls.  If it becomes an ongoing and frequent issue, maybe I'll worry.  Until then, my SIG is my carry gun, with full confidence.  Granted, I don't have a P320...

All that said, I'm curious about this issue, because it's not just drops that cause it, but the hammer strikes as well...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
Gun Talk Radio had an interview Sunday with a Sig guy at the beginning of the 3rd hour if you are interested.

Either way, I signed up for the trigger upgrade last night.  We will see.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
I look at it this way...any manufacturer will have an issue, even more so with a new design.  This is true for guns, cars, dishwashers, etc.  I don't judge SIG any more than I judge Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Winchester,  or any of the other major gun companies that have had recalls.  If it becomes an ongoing and frequent issue, maybe I'll worry.  Until then, my SIG is my carry gun, with full confidence.  Granted, I don't have a P320...

All that said, I'm curious about this issue, because it's not just drops that cause it, but the hammer strikes as well...

I'm a busy man.

I pass judgement and I move on.

And I don't look back.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »
Most of my guns have hammer blocks to stop that kind of nonsense including my OLD Model 59 S&W.

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 11:53:43 PM »
Just an FYI.  I got my P320 Compact back from Sig yesterday.  Got the shipping label and sent it off to them Nov 1st.  I was happy with the turnaround especially since they were talking 6 weeks when I shipped it. 

Anyway, the trigger IMO is a little better than the original.  Almost no take up and not much movement to reset.  I like it.  I can't tell if anything else changed.  Still shoots good and 100% reliable.