Author Topic: Amazon MREs  (Read 20286 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amazon MREs
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:50:31 AM »
Apparently Amazon is getting into the MRE market. That should be interesting. It appears the shelf life is only a year, but for people like me, whose "prepping" is more for power outages and disasters, if the meals are tasty (which it appears they're going for) I'd give them a go.

While I keep a case or two of MREs and a Costco Bucket 'O Food (dehydrated) around, all with 5-10 year shelf lives, it's all kind of "have to eat it" food. The shorter term food supplies are stuff I generally like to eat anyway and that I actually do eat to rotate them. If Amazon can come out with something closer to "fresh tasting", I'd consider them in my food rotation. Could be good for camping as well.

https://www.eater.com/2017/8/11/16130920/amazon-mres-food-delivery-shelf-stable
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:59:03 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Amazon MREs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
Uhm... Shouldn't this be in Mess Hall Mr. Admin?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:47:46 PM »

I was lightheaded from working out and not eating.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
There ya go.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
I thought the Mess Hall forum was reserved for, ya know, food.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
My understanding from the article is that this is supposed to be "everyday" or even gourmet food, much like their meal kits, that happens to be storable at room temp vs in the fridge or freezer. Made for people that don't have time to cook rather than preppers.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »
My understanding from the article is that this is supposed to be "everyday" or even gourmet food, much like their meal kits, that happens to be storable at room temp vs in the fridge or freezer. Made for people that don't have time to cook rather than preppers.

Then not really MREs, as we commonly think of MREs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »

I think this is more to compete with companies like https://www.blueapron.com/

I have a coworker who uses it, he likes it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »
First, curse you for sending me to a Vox site.

Secondly, one of the erstwhile competitors says "I struggle to see how this solution addresses an actual consumer want or need better than fresh, prepared meals."

And that would be why you're going to lose. "Fresh, prepared meals" are likely more expensive1, are only available at limited times during the day2, and are one of the first things to go in a disaster situation.3

1: I haven't seen any indication of price, so I could be wrong. I'm betting I'm not, though.

2: Unless you're going to provide an Uber of food delivery that goes out at 4 a.m.

3: Well, except for Waffle House. They're usually the first thing back up in a disaster situation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
Set aside the jokes for a moment...MREs aren't bad.  No, they aren't great cuisine, but they generally taste pretty good and fill you up.  I'm not looking for a gourmet meal every night.  There are nights I'm just hungry, want something to eat, and have no desire to do anything more than heat something in the microwave.  And, if these meals have a year shelf life, having a case or so on hand just in case would not be a bad thing.  Might have to give them a try...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »

I definitely apologize for that.  I didn't know they were related.

Thread drift, and more fallout from Trump derangement syndrome, while I didn't care about where links came from before (other than software safety), I now try not to give some of these knuckleheads advertisement hits and look for alternate links when available.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 02:38:31 PM »

I thought the Mess Hall forum was reserved for, ya know, food.

"Admin Shaming".

It's a thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:01:18 PM by Amy Schumer »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »
"Admin Shaming".

It's a thing.

It's like they all just enrolled in Berkeley and are pledging the snowflake frat.  =D

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »
It's like they all just enrolled in Berkeley and are pledging the snowflake frat.  =D

And they say Millennial complain a lot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »
Leave Ben Alone !!!!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
So are we actually talking MREs or is this more like canned/packaged food that would be rotated on a yearly basis? If it tastes good I would not turn down reasonably priced food that keeps for up to a year.. It would be similar to canned goods, but with a shorter shelf life. If it tastes good easy to rotate. If it lasts longer it might be easier to justify taste not so good vs. nutrition and longer term survavability.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
THOSE ARE HURTY WORDS, YOU BULLY!

WAAAAAAAA!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 07:15:10 PM »
Please do not invalidate Mike's experience.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 08:00:31 PM »
So are we actually talking MREs or is this more like canned/packaged food that would be rotated on a yearly basis? If it tastes good I would not turn down reasonably priced food that keeps for up to a year.. It would be similar to canned goods, but with a shorter shelf life. If it tastes good easy to rotate. If it lasts longer it might be easier to justify taste not so good vs. nutrition and longer term survavability.

I haven't seen anything that says exactly what they are, other than as Rev noted, they are like BlueApron meals but shelf stable. The description I saw made them sound like they were packaged similar to MREs, though then you have to wonder why only one year shelf life?  If packaged the same, they should have at least several years.

Then again, maybe they do, but Amazon or whoever is just going to stick a "1 year" date on them. Or else maybe they are in fact packaged in a way that limits shelf life. Or the people reporting on them are just saying "MRE" because it sounds cool.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
I haven't seen anything that says exactly what they are, other than as Rev noted, they are like BlueApron meals but shelf stable. The description I saw made them sound like they were packaged similar to MREs, though then you have to wonder why only one year shelf life?  If packaged the same, they should have at least several years.

Then again, maybe they do, but Amazon or whoever is just going to stick a "1 year" date on them. Or else maybe they are in fact packaged in a way that limits shelf life. Or the people reporting on them are just saying "MRE" because it sounds cool.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »

I never really cared for pop tarts EXCEPT the cinnamon and brown sugar ones. And not even those unless they were toasted.

So, as I'd just have to be choking them down, I suppose those could work as MREs, too.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
I never really cared for pop tarts EXCEPT the cinnamon and brown sugar ones. And not even those unless they were toasted.

So, as I'd just have to be choking them down, I suppose those could work as MREs, too.

The cinnamon and brown sugar pop tarts are in some MREs...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »
The cinnamon and brown sugar pop tarts are in some MREs...

=| What? Back when grunts were grunts, we had chocolate-covered oatmeal bars, and slabs of dehydrated strawberry. (Which were both awesome.) They must be cutting costs.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »

Blueberry Pop Tarts, toasted, with some (okay, a lot) of melted butter on top...

[insert YUM smilies here]

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 07:07:56 PM »
I'm partial to the s'mores Pop tarts

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.