Author Topic: Helped a friend move yesterday....  (Read 718 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Helped a friend move yesterday....
« on: August 20, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
And no, not bodies.   Well, there were some bodies in the freezer, but those were cow and pork.   

Anywho - learned a couple of things. 

1) gravity is a bitch.   She absolutely refuses to let anything heavy not come slamming down hard. 
2) I'm getting too old for this S***....   And stairs just reinforce how much of a bitch gravity is.
3) I am *so* grateful for my wife's habit of getting rid of things we don't use/need.  I got to help move 3 acres of farm into an 1100 square foot house on a 1/4 acre lot.   That was a *lot* of crap. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Helped a friend move yesterday....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
I've moved 7 times as an adult with household goods.
Never again.
Were the need ever come up to move again I'd take very little and just burn the rest and start over, it the long run it would be easier and cheaper.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
I've got 9 household moves under my belt and that was 10 too damned many!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »
Who was it who vowed he would never own more than he could carry in his two hands at a dead run?

Sounds like Heinlein, but no bet.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »
9 moves as an adult.  If we are to move again, I'm going to have an auction and where ever we move to, we'll buy whatever stuff we need.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
I'm torn on my next, and hopefully final*, move.

I'd be all set to donate pretty much everything too big for my pickup and buy all new furniture, etc., except I have a really nice oak office set with a big computer desk, executive size writing desk, and really nice bookshelf. I paid around $800 for them long enough ago that it was Price Club, not Costco, where I got them. Looking around, a similar set now is close to $4K.

I'm actually thinking of using PODs. I'll get their smaller pod, stick the office furniture in it, plus whatever else I'm wishy washy abut getting rid of until the pod is full. Then I'll get rid of most of the rest.

Obviously I'll still keep tools, guns, probably my quad, so I'll still have a truck and probably small uhaul trailer load of stuff in boxes along with valuables that I want in my sight at all times.

*Other than the potential move to the nursing home, but at that point, it'll just be a suitcase and my .45 :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 09:49:27 PM »
I spent the day working on an Eagle project...6 hours of raking and burning weeds with propane torches.  Man, do I hurt this evening.  Must be an approaching 50 thing (I'll turn 49 in October)

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 10:46:56 PM »
Last time I moved, the company paid for it.  I can't imagine moving again without putting the money together to pay someone to help.  I thought it was hard enough work just packing things up and unpacking.  I used to get family to help back when I didn't have a whole lot.  No more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 01:29:37 AM »
When I move to SC, I'm paying whomever USAA recommends as part of Mover's Advantage or whatever they call it.

Plus, I've been downsizing and donating crap since the divorce.  I gotten rid of a ton of stuff, and damn near everything of hers that she left behind.  (Much of which ended up as targets.   >:D >:D >:D  Damn did it feel goooooooddddd.)

I still have her wedding dress, simply because when I've wanted to hold the Flambe' in years past the weather failed to cooperate.  I need to get that done...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
Ben said,

"I paid around $800 for them long enough ago that it was Price Club, not Costco, where I got them. Looking around, a similar set now is close to $4K."

Well, you can figure $4000 minus $800 is $3200 toward the cost of having the pros handle it (or toward the pod thing.) :D

Same for other bulky goodies.

Jes' helpin' you justify the expense.  I know people who can justify anything to themselves.