Author Topic: Sig Drop test followup  (Read 1523 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Sig Drop test followup
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »
One of the nice things about the 1911 sear is that it's more or less pivoted in the more or less center so that more or less however you drop it, it won't rotate out of engagement.  More or less.

I can't believe it was necessary for him to 'splain that the rounds only fired the primer, with no powder or bullet in the empty case.  Anyone dumb enough to make that kind of comment about the "danger" of "having a gun go off" in that testing should not be commenting at all.  :facepalm:

Terry

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
I need a pistol chucking trebuchet.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
We all need a pistol chucking trebuchet.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 09:09:20 PM »
I can't believe it was necessary for him to 'splain that the rounds only fired the primer, with no powder or bullet in the empty case.  Anyone dumb enough to make that kind of comment about the "danger" of "having a gun go off" in that testing should not be commenting at all.  :facepalm:

Terry

The same idiots that freak out if your finger touches the trigger.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »
How is it that so many of these internet gun gurus have the money to buy guns just to beat them up?  I have to save up for months to buy another firearm, and I'm damn sure not intentionally dropping one of mine...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:37:57 PM »
One of the nice things about the 1911 sear is that it's more or less pivoted in the more or less center so that more or less however you drop it, it won't rotate out of engagement.  More or less.

Terry
One of the comments I have heard since this started as that the series 80 safety was added at least in part to prevent firing when dropped.  Is that what you are referring to when you mention the 1911 sear?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 01:11:27 AM »
^ No.  The little guy in the middle:

My untested observation of this occured while I was thinking about why the striker of that other gun I described tended to slip off the sear when dropped.  In other words, just from examining the mechanics of the 1911 sear and hammer relationships.

This is not to say the milspec 1911 can't go off if subjected to high gees in any given direction, but this particular part is less likely to pivot off the full-cock hammer notch because of its inertia.  It's sort of "balanced" on the hole in the middle.

Any gee forces* which would tend to rotate its top part clockwise off the hammer's sear notch are counterbalanced by the same gee forces tending to rotate the sear counter-clockwise by the mass below the pivot point in the middle.

However, I can't speak to finely-tuned commercial 1911s in this respect.

Terry

* Excepting angular acceleration forces.

Pic credit in properties, and thank you, Midway USA
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:18:39 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
One of the comments I have heard since this started as that the series 80 safety was added at least in part to prevent firing when dropped.  Is that what you are referring to when you mention the 1911 sear?

The Series 80 stuff is a firing pin block, it doesn't affect the sear. In the 1911, tripping the sear releases the hammer, which then whacks the firing pin. What the firing pin block does is ensure that, even if the sear gets tripped, if the trigger hasn't been pulled the firing pin can't move far enough to make contact with the primer.

Even without the firing pin block, the 1911 still has multiple safeties -- the thumb safety, and the grip safety. About the only way a 1911 can fire in a drop is if dropped directly on the muzzle. In that orientation, the firing pin still has to overcome the firing pin spring, and the use of a lightweight firing pin and/or an extra-power firing pin spring pretty well eliminates even that possibility.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
We all need a pistol chucking trebuchet.

Benny doesn't need a trebuchet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSOMAraWx0
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
I need a pistol chucking trebuchet.

Our Boy Scout Troop has a trebuchet.  We normally fling various sports balls, but it could easily accommodate a pistol, possibly even a sub-gun....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 12:12:42 AM »
I got this email today from Century.  I had to laugh a little at the language.  If you drop our pistol a bunch or otherwise destructively test it, the warranty is void.   =D

Product Safety Warning and Severe Duty Upgrade

Century Arms, North America’s premier AK manufacturer, announced today the Canik Product Safety Warning and Severe Duty Upgrade Notice. This notice applies to Canik’s 9x19 mm pistols: TP9SA, TP9SF, TP9SFx, TP9SF Elite, TP9SF Elite-S. Canik’s other products are not subject to this notice. All Canik pistols comply with and exceed current industry and military abusive handling standards. There are no safety concerns with the pistols when used under ordinary conditions.

Canik is committed to continuously improving its product’s performance. Evaluations and tests have shown that repeated abusive dropping of pistols may result in damage to safety features and unintentional discharge.

DANGER: IF ANY FIREARM IS DROPPED INTERNAL PARTS MAY HAVE BEEN DEFORMED, DAMAGED OR DISABLED. The product must be inspected by a qualified gunsmith or returned for inspection after any significant impact.

WARNING: REPEATED IMPACTS TO YOUR PISTOL TO TEST ITS SAFETY FUNCTIONS WILL DAMAGE INTERNAL PARTS, AND VOID ITS WARRANTY. Firearm abusive handling tests can be dangerous and should only be conducted by qualified individuals in controlled environments with proper safety precautions in place. Canik does not recommend that any customer conduct drop tests or other endurance tests before or after this Severe Duty Upgrade.

WARNING: CONSUMERS SHOULD ONLY USE CANIK PARTS IN OUR PISTOLS. AFTERMARKET PARTS COULD DECREASE OR DISABLE SAFETY FEATURES OF YOUR CANIK PISTOL.

Canik is committed to manufacturing safe, reliable, innovative and affordable firearms. We are offering a voluntary upgrade to the trigger safety spring and firing pin block spring on the Canik models noted above. This is to further increase the safety of Canik pistols for enhanced drop discharge prevention in heavy/severe duty conditions that are beyond industry standards. The Severe Duty Upgrade does not alter any feature or design of the pistols. Canik will provide all parts and workmanship at no charge, but customers will be responsible for shipping costs.

Steps for upgrading your pistol? Our goal is to have the Severe Duty Upgrade process in place by Friday, September 8, 2017. After this date, please visit www.CanikUSA.com for complete instructions on how to receive your Severe Duty Upgrade.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge