Author Topic: Texas Voter ID Law Rejected Again  (Read 3321 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Texas Voter ID Law Rejected Again
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 11:52:48 PM »
Anything Texas does short of explicitly giving voter ID cards to illegal aliens will be struck down.  Democrats are still pissed that Texas switched from D to R sometime back in the late 60's or 70's.  (most were very conservative Southern Democrats that bore no resemblance to today's DNC, except for Travis County)  And they rely on voter fraud.
I am not sure of the exact year, but the first R governor wasn't until the 80's and things didn't really swing until Gov. Ann Richards was voted out and all the crap surrounding the Clinton administration really moved things to the point that ALL statewide offices are held by R's.  In the 90's, the national Dem Party was going full Leftist.  The mythical "moderate democrat" pretty much ceased to exist (at least here).  

Now there are people that still vote Dem in local elections.  I think the small town I grew up in is that way even still.  But most of those people will vote R in statewide and national elections.  

Side Note:  I don't think Ann Richards would have won the governors office the first time, but a man named Clayton Williams was running against her.  He decided to make a joking comment about rape to the point that if it is inevitable then women should just lie back and take it.  I think it was not intended to be recorded, but a microphone caught it and he tanked. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »

Still, I think the answer is like what most of the rest of the world does when they require ID to vote(and most do!).  Issue the ID for free.  Done.

They did that.  There was a provision in the law that allowed people who could not afford the fee to get a state issued ID for free. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 12:01:07 AM »
A couple other things I would like to see (just my opinion for discussion):

1.  Get rid of early voting.  At least restrict people to only their regular polling place.  They allow you to vote at any polling place in your county during early voting.  IMO, it just provides time for people to vote multiple registrations and do it such that no one polling place will remember them.  I have heard people suggest making it a national holiday.  Not sure that is needed.

2.  Get rid of 3rd party registration.  IMO, you should have to go to a govt office to register.  If you cannot trouble yourself to do that, then you don't need to be voting anyway.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 12:49:59 AM »
A couple other things I would like to see (just my opinion for discussion):

1.  Get rid of early voting.  At least restrict people to only their regular polling place.  They allow you to vote at any polling place in your county during early voting.  IMO, it just provides time for people to vote multiple registrations and do it such that no one polling place will remember them.  I have heard people suggest making it a national holiday.  Not sure that is needed.

2.  Get rid of 3rd party registration.  IMO, you should have to go to a govt office to register.  If you cannot trouble yourself to do that, then you don't need to be voting anyway.

Yes on both. In fact, there should be NO early voting, other than absentee ballots -- and those should be very strictly limited. Election day should be election day, not "whenever" day.

Absolutely, registration only at the office set aside for registering. No third parties.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »
It appears this has now been kinda sorta reversed. An appeals court is allowing a temp workaround from now through 2018 with the following caveat:

Voters without a qualifying photo ID will be allowed to cast a ballot if they present an alternative form of ID and declare, under penalty of perjury, that they face a reasonable impediment to obtaining qualifying photo ID.

I still don't know what an impediment is to getting a free voter ID. If TX were smart, they would have ID stations that are open evenings and weekends (and maybe they do), which would eliminate the "but I have to work" excuse. Also for those who "can't afford it", free bus rides to any ID station.

Under the caveat, you could print an ID on your computer and bring that in with some lame excuse for why you can't get an official ID.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/09/06/texas-can-use-its-new-voter-id-law-in-november-after-all-appeals-court-rules/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 06:46:51 PM »
I thought they did that last election.  Essentially if you insisted, you could cast a provisional ballot. 

Pb

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »
These images are evergreen:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
IIRC the revised law allows a person to vote if they show some form of photo ID along with corroborating location data. In other words they could vote by bringing any form of a "non-official" photo ID along with an electric bill or property tax statement in their name to show they actually reside in the voting district.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
http://www.dailywire.com/news/20803/report-voter-fraud-may-have-tipped-nh-hillary-2016-joseph-curl

The article suggests that the presidential election and a Senate race may have been hacked, via New Hampshire's motor voter law.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife