Author Topic: Texas Voter ID Law Rejected Again  (Read 3319 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Texas Voter ID Law Rejected Again
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:39:33 PM »
By the same federal judge. Apparently passports are racist, and she was upset that they didn't include college IDs as acceptable identification. Because everyone knows colleges only give IDs to US citizens.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/23/federal-judge-again-throws-out-texas-voter-id-law.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Texas Voter ID Law Rejected Again
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »
Post withdrawn by poster.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »

Don't feel bad, I said REALLY bad things on my Facebook page about this "judge."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
Where is it written that judges can't be nincompoops at best and aholes at worst? :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 11:35:43 PM »
By the same federal judge. Apparently passports are racist, and she was upset that they didn't include college IDs as acceptable identification. Because everyone knows colleges only give IDs to US citizens.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/23/federal-judge-again-throws-out-texas-voter-id-law.html

Hmm...

ID's are handed out almost like candy by MOST organizations.  Hell, the DOD issues CACs to non-citizens all the time. 

I think that the question is whether the id adequately verifies the IDENTITY of the person in question.  Not accepting college IDs might have a point - we're already looking at a dozen or so IDs for the poor poll workers to verify, and most of them are retired people volunteering their time.

Still, I think the answer is like what most of the rest of the world does when they require ID to vote(and most do!).  Issue the ID for free.  Done.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:01:39 AM »
Still, I think the answer is like what most of the rest of the world does when they require ID to vote(and most do!).  Issue the ID for free.  Done.

This. Why are we registering people to vote, w/o making sure they have a photo ID to use at the polls? If they register, and don't have a DL/passport/whatever, then they automatically get a free photo ID.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:47:44 AM »
A regular TX non-DL ID card is $16/6years.  $2.67/year.  If you can't come up with that, you're too stupid to vote.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 04:59:24 AM »

Don't feel bad, I said REALLY bad things on my Facebook page about this "judge."

Thanks for understanding, HeroHog.

But I'm glad I deleted that post.  Phew!

Yes, all:  Let your imaginations run wild.

Terry, 230RN

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:01 AM »
Thanks for understanding, HeroHog.

But I'm glad I deleted that post.  Phew!

Yes, all:  Let your imaginations run wild.

Terry, 230RN

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
Doesn't allowing a student ID for voter registration risk that an out of state student can now vote both at home and also near the college?

I've "heard" of that being done.

Not that any honorable person would do that... of course.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
Doesn't allowing a student ID for voter registration risk that an out of state student can now vote both at home and also near the college?

Very good point, though what I saw when I was in college was tons of booths setup to process residency changes and sign people up to vote dem. I'm sure there was a lot of lying and fudging going on though too, regarding residency.

College student voting can be worse than illegal voting IMO, at least locally/regionally, because they are like locusts - coming in to vote to raise taxes and pass stupid lefty regs at the local level, then leave before the consequences set in. All the local dem politicians practically camped out at UCSB during elections, because they could count on 20,000 votes, not to mention student activists to knock on doors. More often than not, the university population drove stupid crap to a win.

Back to the OP - I thought TX had written something in about free IDs for poor people? Regardless, yes - free official IDs that are correctly vetted are the way to go. That leaves no excuse for activist judges, though they'll come up with stuff like "no limo service to take the "disenfranchised" to an ID location". They just need to have a free ID station setup at the welfare office (where you have to show ID to get your money).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »

ID's are handed out almost like candy by MOST organizations.  Hell, the DOD issues CACs to non-citizens all the time. 

Well, except they KNOW that the person is a non-citizen. I know the contractor ones are distinctly marked. Are non--citizen ones marked "foreign national"? I never saw a foreigner with  CAC in my time.

Which is another problem that arises with IDs in general. Several states for instance, have non-citizen drivers licenses that are nearly identical to those for citizens. CA is probably the worst, and here you are automatically registered to vote when you get a license. And guess where 90% of the DMV employees are from? CA DMV is nearly a smuggler's substation for issuing fake papers to get people into the country.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 10:55:56 AM »

Huh. Wonder if we could try to get ID for firearm purchases struck down as unconstitutional as well. Voting has always caused more harm than folks buying firearms.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
When I last voted, they had an ipad-like machine that scanned your drivers license, and your name automatically popped up if you were on the register.  They just confirmed that it was you, and you got your ballot.  Really quick and easy, and no long paper lists to check.  I was impressed.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »

I've "heard" of that being done.

Not that any honorable person would do that... of course.

Honestly, the way I look at it, registering to vote should handle all questions of citizenship and whether you're registered to vote somewhere else.

Voter ID should ONLY be to answer whether you're the person the registration is for.

Quote from: KD5NRH
A regular TX non-DL ID card is $16/6years.  $2.67/year.  If you can't come up with that, you're too stupid to vote.

While I might normally agree with you, it's such a low fee that while I might have it be $16 to replace the darn thing, I'd issue the base copy(and any required renewals) for free for the same reason Ben said - it leaves activist judges no excuse.

Though Ben - I'm pretty sure that most welfare collectors don't have to show up in the welfare office anymore.  Remember, they're all issued their benefits on prepaid cards and such these days.  Enrollment online, through their Obama-phone, etc...  They aren't being issued checks, much less cash.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 04:41:43 PM »
A while back I had to take my father to get his ID.  (He was legally blind, but needed an ID card for reasons).

This was in Indiana. 

Identification Cards in Indiana

Indiana offers a non-driver ID card for residents who either do not wish or are unable to obtain a driver's license. You should consider applying for an IN state identification (ID) card if you're an Indiana resident without a driver's license but need identification to prove your age, identity, or residence.

Indiana ID Card Eligibility Requirements

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) now issues an identification card called the SecureID to residents who do not wish to carry a license to drive. However, if you do not have all of the required documents, you may still apply for an Indiana non-SecureID as an acceptable form of identification at the voting polls.

There is NO minimum age requirement for obtaining an Indiana ID card.

NOTE: You cannot hold an Indiana ID card and driver license at the same time.

What this leaves out is that ID cards in Indiana are Free.  (DL's are $6, IIRC.)

So no excuse for not having ID to vote.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »
We may as well acknowledge that the Left's position on this is really very simple.

1. They want to herd as many of the "right kind" of people into the voting booth as they can.

2. They want to use Voter ID as a wedge issue, about which they may lobby charges of bigotry.

We can argue all day long, and prove they're wrong, but Lefties gonna left.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »
Yes, but they shut the hell up when Indiana said "Fine, State ID's are Free, so it's not a poll-tax."

That's all states have to do is make ID's Free.  You can still charge for DL's, because driving is a privilege.  And make it an either or choice.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 07:38:13 PM »

Though Ben - I'm pretty sure that most welfare collectors don't have to show up in the welfare office anymore.  Remember, they're all issued their benefits on prepaid cards and such these days.  Enrollment online, through their Obama-phone, etc...  They aren't being issued checks, much less cash.

Okay, I concede the point. I thought they still have to be there in person the first time to apply, but I guess that's not the case anymore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 07:54:44 PM »
Anything Texas does short of explicitly giving voter ID cards to illegal aliens will be struck down.  Democrats are still pissed that Texas switched from D to R sometime back in the late 60's or 70's.  (most were very conservative Southern Democrats that bore no resemblance to today's DNC, except for Travis County)  And they rely on voter fraud.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »
We may as well acknowledge that the Left's position on this is really very simple.

1. They want to herd as many of the "right kind" of people into the voting booth as they can.

2. They want to use Voter ID as a wedge issue, about which they may lobby charges of bigotry.

We can argue all day long, and prove they're wrong, but Lefties gonna left.

To give equal time however, we can argue that the Right wants to exclude as many of the 'wrong kind' (voting Democrat) out of the voting booth as they can.  Unless you think that the Right is interested in this issue solely out of a sincere belief to protect the integrity of the voting process, regardless of how the vote goes.

Having said that, I am not opposed to a photo ID requirement, if the photo ID is readily accessible and free, so it does not act as a quasi poll tax.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 01:37:23 AM »
To give equal time however, we can argue that the Right wants to exclude as many of the 'wrong kind' (voting Democrat) out of the voting booth as they can.  Unless you think that the Right is interested in this issue solely out of a sincere belief to protect the integrity of the voting process, regardless of how the vote goes.

Having said that, I am not opposed to a photo ID requirement, if the photo ID is readily accessible and free, so it does not act as a quasi poll tax.

No, I only want those that are entitled to vote, voting.  And my polling place contains the precinct for a large college.  For example, in referenda here in Illinois, if you don't vote on the question, then it is considered the same as a "NO" vote (or a "YES" depending how Mike Madigan chooses to have the question worded).  Last spring we had lots and lots of college students voting.  But many only voted for President/Vice President, leaving the referenda question blank (making it a "NO" vote).   Others just checked the first box for each local office.   Many voted to raise a local tax. (Because rich people need to pay their fair share, fortunately it failed).  But with Bernie (and to a lesser extent Ted Cruz) off the ballot, we went from over 600 college students voting in the primary to 12 in the General.  (they are all in one precinct.)

So I wonder how many voted in their Home of Record (residency) state, and how many did the Illinois same day registration/vote back in April last year?

I don't care who or how they vote.  I just want them to:
1.  Be citizens
2.  Vote where they live. (and only vote once, because they have skin in the game that will affect them. )

For every other interaction with the .gov you need Photo Id that proves you are a citizen, why not for the most way you interact with .gov ??

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 02:01:38 AM »
I agree with Scout for the reason I like the idea, and MillCreek for the reason politicians want it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »
To give equal time however, we can argue that the Right wants to exclude as many of the 'wrong kind' (voting Democrat) out of the voting booth as they can.

Considering how many of that "wrong" kind of voter tends to be illegal (or dead, or otherwise ineligible to vote), who can blame them?

I'm 73 years old and I have never belonged to any political party so, irrespective of either party's motives, MY interest is the legitimacy of the process. I think anyone registering to vote should provide a birth certificate + photo ID, or a passport. And anyone showing up to vote should provide a government-issued photo ID.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »

If having a legitimate ID is an impediment to the dependent class voting itself more free crap,  I'm fine with it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.