Author Topic: Hurricanes, Politics, and Texans  (Read 12541 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hurricanes, Politics, and Texans
« on: August 27, 2017, 01:06:30 PM »
I wanted to create a separate topic to not muck up any topics on Hurricane Harvey itself.

This linked story - surprisingly at HuffPo - seems like a great example of my thesis:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_599faaefe4b0821444c25eeb/amp

Comments included, "Must be a Texas dog cause he can survive without help." Even in other parts of the story, they mention that "Texans are holding up good". This has got to be killing all the leftists that want the administration to fail in its response. The problem is that the hurricane hit the wrong place for partisan politics.

Bush got a ton of undeserved hate simply because Katrina hit New Orleans, where you have a predominate "help me" attitude versus an "I'll help myself" attitude. We saw that outside New Orleans, and in Mississippi in particular, people were hit just as hard, but communities were coming together and helping each other instead of crying and whining for the government to "do something". Very little news coverage of that.

We now seem to be seeing the same thing in Texas. People are dealing with the situation. Even having fun. I saw a lady photobomb a Fox reporter by bringing him a six pack of beer while he was on air. People are in good spirits, or at least the best spirits they can be in, and just handling things.

All the SJWs, etc. that were secretly hoping for a repeat of New Orleans (it's a bunch of deplorables in TX after all, so who cares what happens to them) are now being sorely disappointed by fed, state, and local governments all working together, and more importantly, individuals taking care of themselves and each other.

If anything, this will end up showing that had New Orleans been out of the picture during Katrina, "Bush's failure" would not exist, and I'm betting that when Harvey is said and done, the only links to a "Trump failure" will be petty.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Hurricanes, Politics, and Texans
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:35:13 PM »
Question:  Will New Orleans take back some of the refugees that are still in Houston?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »
The problem with Katrina response was incompetent city and state officials.  They handled the evacuations and response horribly.  From what I understand, The accepted process was that the Feds didn't move in without state permission and the Bush Admin couldn't get anyone to make a decision.  I imagine that has changed now.  Since then, the declare disaster areas pretty much before anything happens. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
The problem with Katrina response was incompetent city and state officials.  They handled the evacuations and response horribly.  From what I understand, The accepted process was that the Feds didn't move in without state permission and the Bush Admin couldn't get anyone to make a decision.  I imagine that has changed now.  Since then, the declare disaster areas pretty much before anything happens. 

Lot's of politics in Katrina. As Scout mentioned elsewhere, the mayor tossed the local emergency plan (remember all the parked buses?) and the governor, who didn't like Bush, figured she would handle things without the feds up until things got out of control, at which point neither the feds nor anyone else could have saved the response debacle.

Regardless, there was still plenty of blame to point at individuals in New Orleans. Pretty much everyone who showed up to the stadium did so empty handed. Couldn't be bothered to bring even a few bottles of water, blankets from their beds, etc. Even though I believe looters should be shot on site, the looters there were grabbing TVs instead of food and water. In other places during Katrina, individuals were sharing food and water, regardless if any government entity was onsite or not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Regarding the story, I noticed the press conferences and local news reports that mention shelters are pointing out which shelters will allow animals.  For the rest, when you are in Hurricane country, you should have a minimal supplies.  I really feel for all the people that are flooded out of their homes and relying on shelters.  That has to suck.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »
There were lots of people in and around New Orleans that were getting by on their own and trying to keep looters and others out of their area. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 02:06:13 PM »
There were lots of people in and around New Orleans that were getting by on their own and trying to keep looters and others out of their area.  

Definitely people there who tried and did handle things on their own (as I recall, some had to stand up to Nola cops who wanted to confiscate their defensive weapons), but way too many people just expecting big brother to take care of everything. I also seem to recall a bunch of people whining about being handed MREs at the stadium. You're in a shelter, not the Four Seasons.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
The Great New Orleans Gun Grab

https://www.amazon.com/Great-New-Orleans-Gun-Grab/dp/0970981333

This book details the ILLEGAL theft and seizure of firearms from law abiding citizens of the New Orleans area after Katrina, as ordered by Ray Nagin and Eddie Compass.
It also tells the story of law abiding gun owner banding together to protect their families, homes, and community.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »

Until the California Highway Patrol clowns moved in and started body slamming octogenarian ladies who just wanted to be left alone -- with their six gun.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
In Texas, County Judges hold a lot of power.  The Harris county judge was on TV today telling people to get out there and rescue their neighbors and ask forgiveness later. 
For it's flaws....Texas is filled with Texans who generally are the best people I've had the pleasure of calling neighbors.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 04:42:23 PM »
So far, I've seen at least one "Hanging out in the kids' treehouse.  Ten feet above the water with a couple days' food and cell phone batteries, but if anybody's got a shallow draft boat and the time to pick us up, we'd appreciate it.  Nowhere near worth bothering 911 yet." post. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 05:08:35 PM »
Meet Logan Anderson, a former staffer for Hillary Clinton’s campaign. She’s been triggered by this boat with a Confederate flag on it rescuing people in Houston:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/27/hillary-staffer-triggered-by-rescue-boat-in-houston-with-confederate-flag/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »
Meet Logan Anderson, a former staffer for Hillary Clinton’s campaign. She’s been triggered by this boat with a Confederate flag on it rescuing people in Houston:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/27/hillary-staffer-triggered-by-rescue-boat-in-houston-with-confederate-flag/

"I'd let him rescue me and then I'd tear down his flag..."

You about can't find a better quote to describe the modern day SJW.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »

Quote from: Logan Anderson
(I would absolutely get on that boat, by the way. And then, when they dropped me off, I'd tear off the flag and drop it into the flood.)

Nothing like an expression of gratitude to ruin a day. If it was my boat and she did that, I'd take her sorry SJW ass right back to where I picked her up.

Idjit!

She acts like she's surprised a boat with a Confederate flag would actually rescue -- GASP! -- black people. She must believe all the white supremecist stuff the left has been feeding her.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:55:01 PM by Hawkmoon »

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »

It looks to me like the flag is painted to the steering vanes if that’s the right word. I’m thinking she have a hard time pulling it off.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »
Rudder
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 06:55:32 PM »

"...and drop it in the flood."

Damn.  Beat me to it.  Was going to mutter something about destruction of private property, too. The ethics of SJWs are becoming more evident every day.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »
"...and drop it in the flood."

Damn.  Beat me to it.  Was going to mutter something about destruction of private property, too. The ethics of SJWs are becoming more evident every day.

Ethics? Social justice warriors got ethics?

In the example of the flood rescue, if she objected that strongly to the flag and if she had any ethics, she'd wave him off and wait for the next boat.

Which brings to mind a very old shaggy dog story ...

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 09:27:52 PM »
I'm thinking if ya judge him because he has a rebel flag on the boat that he is using, at his expense, time  and peril to save your ass so harshly, wave him on and wait for the next one! He's obviously not so racist as to leave you out there to drown is he? Do you KNOW he's racist or are you assuming that? Many have a lot of pride in the South and fly that flag for other than racist reasons. I know a lot of blacks that support that flag and are far from self-hating racists against their own race.
Jump in the boat and say "thanks" or wave him buy and wait for someone who matches your world view and prejudices.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 10:39:17 PM »
. . .  Even though I believe looters should be shot on site, the looters there were grabbing TVs instead of food and water . . .
Note that the looters included quite a few members of the New Orleans Police Department.

Quote from: Hawkmoon
Until the California Highway Patrol clowns moved in and started body slamming octogenarian ladies who just wanted to be left alone -- with their six gun.
Bobby Jindal became governor of Louisiana around 3 years after Katrina, and his administration made no effort whatsoever to bring the badged miscreants to justice for their ILLEGAL actions - which is why I will never vote for him if he still aspires to run for POTUS.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »
Note that the looters included quite a few members of the New Orleans Police Department.
Bobby Jindal became governor of Louisiana around 3 years after Katrina, and his administration made no effort whatsoever to bring the badged miscreants to justice for their ILLEGAL actions - which is why I will never vote for him if he still aspires to run for POTUS.
Wasn't the former mayor prosecuted or did he flee the country?  Not sure when that was.  Wasn't there also the issue of police on the payroll who didn't exist?

I recall running into a guy who worked for our company who swore than Bush withheld support from Louisiana and put everything into Mississippi and elsewhere.  He was pretty emotional about it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/08/28/vilest-of-the-vile-here-are-the-10-most-awful-hateful-political-takes-on-houston-so-far/

K9 Unit @browntailedhawk

To hell with Southerners! There! I said it! NY and MA started this country and were on the right side of history when TX and MS weren't!

That's right, folks. This country was founded by northerners.  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 10:50:24 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife