Author Topic: Hurricanes, Politics, and Texans  (Read 12539 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Hurricanes, Politics, and Texans
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »
Melania is coming to see you, Jamis.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/20364/heel-president-trump-heads-texas-medias-focus-emily-zanotti

Is it bad that during a hurricane response I'm thinking that she's looking pretty hot?

Also, SJW whiners at the link: It's pretty common for the military to gift their Commander in Chief flight jackets. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave one to the first lady.

Edit: Okay, on seeing a more close up image, it appears the jacket is not GI.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:43:22 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
Melania's going to Virginia while the Prez heads to Tejas?

I forgot he moved again.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »
I guess a bunch o' them iggerant rednecks put down their guns 'n Bibles long enuf to fahr up thu airboats 'n git out thar to hepp some other folks what needed helpin'.

Who'd 'a thunk it?

Perd Hapley

• friend

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 07:39:38 AM »
http://www.dailywire.com/news/20394/university-tampa-fires-professor-who-said-emily-zanotti

The professor's "apology":

I apologize for the the tweets. My intention was never to offend anyone. This was a series of tweets taken out of context. I was referring to the GOP denial of climate change science and push to decrease funds from agencies that can help in a time like this. I hope all affected by the storm are safe and recover quickly. I also hope this helps the GOP realize the need to support climate change research and put in place better funding for agencies like NOAA and FEMA.

So the hurricane was caused by global warming, which must mean that if Trump had spent more money on climate change research rather than dropping out of the Paris accord, the hurricane could have been prevented.

As for more money to NOAA, how could that possibly help people whose homes are flooded? NOAA did their job -- they told people a big hurricane was coming, but the Democrats who run Houston told people not to evacuate.

Lastly, FEMA. Where does the Constitution give the feral government the authority or the duty to fix up homes in any one state at the expense of people in the other 49 states? All that does is encourage people to continue to build and live in places that are vulnerable to repeated storm damage. Absent massive federal intervention/interference, maybe people would have to do things like build cities in places that aren't located in a flood plain in a region prone to hurricanes.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 07:42:36 AM »
I feel for this women.  And the CNN reporterette got exactly what she deserved.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/08/29/yall-try-to-interview-asking-what-the-fck-is-wrong-houston-woman-goes-off-on-cnn-reporter-live-video/

Admit it, the look on the reporter’s face is EPIC … plus she just keeps saying, ‘Sorry. Sorry. Sorry.’

Yeah -- "Sorry, sorry, sorry" -- all the while keeping the microphone in the poor woman's face.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
Just as Hurricane Harvey was about to hit Texas last week, The New York Times did something that may have surprised its readers. While the rest of the nation was holding its breath as it wondered how those affected by the storm would fare, liberal elites were worried about the safety of their beliefs about the climate. Yet the flagship of liberal journalism published an article that poured cold water on the notion that climate change caused the devastation on the Gulf Coast.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/08/30/new-york-times-veers-denier-territory-questioning-harveys-link-climate-change/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
The professor's "apology":

So the hurricane was caused by global warming, which must mean that if Trump had spent more money on climate change research rather than dropping out of the Paris accord, the hurricane could have been prevented.

As for more money to NOAA, how could that possibly help people whose homes are flooded? NOAA did their job -- they told people a big hurricane was coming, but the Democrats who run Houston told people not to evacuate.

Lastly, FEMA. Where does the Constitution give the feral government the authority or the duty to fix up homes in any one state at the expense of people in the other 49 states? All that does is encourage people to continue to build and live in places that are vulnerable to repeated storm damage. Absent massive federal intervention/interference, maybe people would have to do things like build cities in places that aren't located in a flood plain in a region prone to hurricanes.
I don't blame anyone about the evacuation versus sheltering in place.  I normally evacuate to my parent's house West of Houston (near the Colorado River but off Cummins Creek) and they got water right up to the house with the creek drainage though it never came in (receding now).  Given that it hit near Corpus Christi and flooded people all the way across to Beaumont, that is a pretty big footprint for any hurricane.  It is still dumping rain on people in its path.  This is a record breaking flood and the response at the local and state level has been pretty good from my perspective. 

Thankfully, the high predictions of the Brazos River level just upstream of us have been lowered a few feet.  I won't know for certain I am good until probably Saturday.  My brother is in Missouri City (Southwest Houston).  He is day to day right now.  His house is dry, but he is in an evacuation area that might flood when the river reaches peak depth. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 08:40:57 PM »
I'd support the death penalty for these kind of scum bags. Administered expediently.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/30/houston-dhs-officials-warn-residents-fake-agents.html
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 09:44:35 PM »
I'd support the death penalty for these kind of scum bags.

I wouldn't, but perhaps a labor camp, with a special viewing area for the victims to sit and watch them breaking rocks for years on end.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »

I wouldn't, but perhaps a labor camp, with a special viewing area for the victims to sit and watch them breaking rocks for years on end.

Must be some kind of commiepinkoliberal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 07:21:07 AM »
I dunno.  The death penalty is kind of a "one and done" thing, while hard labor is "the gift that keeps on giving."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 11:14:52 AM »

Evacuating Houston is a nightmare. After seeing the mess in '05, I can understand their hesitancy in issuing that order.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
The Red Cross might finally be getting some bad press.

I think Twitchy is being a little hacky here trying to wrap Obama into it, because today Obama recommends them, tomorrow Trump will. Probably 8 out of 10 people would -- that's how good their PR machine is, which the article goes into a little bit. They are massive money wasters, as many of us have discussed here in the past. Hopefully some bad press will lead some folks to donate to organizations that direct more of their money to the event, versus their "operating funds".

I donated to Salvation Army, which has a special donation page running for the hurricane. Even with SA, you have to be a little careful nowadays. Not that they waste money, but I've been finding in their "general" donation fund, a lot of the money goes to addiction programs versus other kinds of help. I have no problem with people donating to that if they want to, but I prefer my money goes to victims of circumstance (to quote Curly Howard) rather than those who contributed to their problems. SA usually still lets you designate where your money goes, but you have to kind of hunt for that, or it goes straight to their general fund if you just click "donate".

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/31/did-barack-obama-accidentally-direct-people-to-donate-to-a-sketchy-charity/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »
With charities smaller is better. Less likely to get full of themselves.

Girls for Gunslinger and 5 Bravo's are doing a Harvey fundraiser. https://spin.org/g4g/harvey.asp

5B is based in Beaumont and is handling the distribution,  and full accounting of funds will be available on both FB pages. That's the kinda of charity I tend to gravitate to.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
I would not give to the American Red Cross (too big and too wasteful), but I have considered giving to one of the local Red Cross chapters in SE Texas.  Maybe Matagorda County because my great aunt used to live there on the gulf side of the Intercoastal Waterway.  Does that work, or do they send the money to national?

I remember being evacuated by the Red Cross 10 or 15 years ago when visiting family at their new house in Sequin or New Braunfels (don't remember which and they don't live there anymore) and there was a massive rain and the Guadeloupe River flooded bigtime.  They hauled us out on the back of a big 18-wheeler with a flatbed trailer and we spent the night in a school; the RC and the local Walmart were wonderful.

I think spending the night in a shelter is a good experience for anybody, to see how some people live.  But I wouldn't seek out that experience ;)

I"ll probably just give to the Southern Baptists' disaster relief program (0% goes to overhead, and I volunteer for them sometimes) or the Samaritan's Purse.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
Evacuating Houston is a nightmare. After seeing the mess in '05, I can understand their hesitancy in issuing that order.

Instead, we should build a water tight wall, 100 feet tall around Houston to protect it.

Perd Hapley

• friend

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »
I'm glad you had a good experience with the Red Cross.  After seeing how they treated soldiers while on active duty, I wouldn't donate to them if you put a gun to my head.

Like Ben, I did the SA Harvey fund donation.   I'm with dogmush, smaller is usually better, I've also enjoyed 5 Bravo, so next donation goes to them.

Just watch out for fake charities and the shysters, like this *wow such a strong word to use, check your anger at the door*. Yeah, she's a *wow such a strong word to use, check your anger at the door*.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/08/31/vile-fraud-linda-sarsour-defends-funding-pac-claims-white-supremacists-want-to-smear-woc/

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »
Linda Sarsour is indeed quite a hateful name to call anyone.