Author Topic: Hurricanes, Politics, and Texans  (Read 12543 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Hurricanes, Politics, and Texans
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
I'm glad you had a good experience with the Red Cross.  After seeing how they treated soldiers while on active duty, I wouldn't donate to them if you put a gun to my head.

Like Ben, I did the SA Harvey fund donation.   I'm with dogmush, smaller is usually better, I've also enjoyed 5 Bravo, so next donation goes to them.

Just watch out for fake charities and the shysters, like this *wow such a strong word to use, check your anger at the door*. Yeah, she's a *wow such a strong word to use, check your anger at the door*.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/08/31/vile-fraud-linda-sarsour-defends-funding-pac-claims-white-supremacists-want-to-smear-woc/

Is the American Red Cross the same as the International Red Cross?  I've always assumed it was the latter that soldiers deal with, and that they were different organizations.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »
Holy crap. They are still talking about Melania's shoes.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/08/31/harvey-update-media-analyzes-its-own-analysis-of-melania-trumps-shoes-finds-it-not-sexist/

Perched atop her pumps, she becomes a caricature of the one percent.

I was unaware that high-heeled shoes were so expensive.

Perched atop their newspaper-grey tower, the Washington Post becomes a caricature of Acela corridor bubble-think.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »
Holy crap. They are still talking about Melania's shoes.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/08/31/harvey-update-media-analyzes-its-own-analysis-of-melania-trumps-shoes-finds-it-not-sexist/

The media has to cover important issues. I have a suspicion that no matter what her footwear choices are, she is going to get bashed over it. One instance, the shoes are getting bashed for not being appropriate. The next instant the outfit is being bashed for looking like it belongs in a war zone.

True, Melania would risk an ankle sprain by merely stepping out of a climate-controlled limousine in those shoes, never mind walking through mud and debris to comfort evacuees recouping in shelters. But the rest of her outfit was just as obnoxious. It was as if an assistant told her they’d be roughing it on a mission to an inhospitable place of unimaginable devastation, and Melania thought “war zone.” Her aviators and bomber jacket are playing at the courage and ready-for-anything spirit that defines most mainstream depictions of the military, as if she were risking anything or helping anyone at all on this trip to Texas. (She’s not.)

There's no appeasing people like that. Theyre going to keep pushing until they win (not good for us) or people push back hard against them (also not good for us).

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »
Is the American Red Cross the same as the International Red Cross?  I've always assumed it was the latter that soldiers deal with, and that they were different organizations.

Nope, US military deals with the American Red Cross.  The ARC is a part of the International Red Cross/Red Crescent.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2017, 11:45:23 PM »
Did someone mention the American Red Cross?

http://www.newser.com/story/248010/red-cross-vp-on-portion-of-donations-going-to-relief-really-dont-know.html

Neat bit of possible evasion:

The organization's president and CEO, Gail McGovern, was on CBS News Thursday defending the ARC, and she said that on average, 91 cents of every dollar the Red Cross spends goes toward its services for victims.

Note that was 91 cents of every dollar "spent," not every dollar taken in. I wonder if they consider staff salaries and benefits as "spending." Most reports I've seen over the years put the ARC's percentage of donations that go to actual programs as being FAR less than 91 percent. In fact, her statement is a repetition of a misstatement she has made before:

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/04/368453320/red-cross-misstates-how-donors-dollars-are-spent

https://www.propublica.org/article/red-cross-ceo-has-been-misleading-about-donations
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2017, 12:39:21 AM »
My complaint is that she was wearing slacks with them. The whole point of heels like that is that they really bring out the shaping of nice calves and quads...which Melania definitely has.

Dated a 5'8" woman for a while who had a thing for 6" heels.  Didn't bother me a bit that it made her noticeably taller than me, (especially adding the Texas big hair) as long as she could dance and wore skirts or skin tight jeans that showed she really had the legs for it.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »
This is one of the people criticizing Melania's fashion choices.  She's a contributing fashion editor at Vogue.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lynn+yaeger&FORM=HDRSC2
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2017, 01:30:28 PM »
This is one of the people criticizing Melania's fashion choices.  She's a contributing fashion editor at Vogue.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lynn+yaeger&FORM=HDRSC2

Yup, we're in Bizarro World alright.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »
WT Serious F ??? 

They are soldiers. one thing you learn in Basic Training is how to sleep anywhere any time.  I spent many a night on the floor of some building (if lucky, and not sleeping on the ground).  Especially if you've been working to the point of exhaustion.

Can't people just close their pieholes for one moment and get over themselves??

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »
I have not seen any outrage over that photo, just outrage over the outrage.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
Saw where Trump ponied up $1M  from his own pocket.
So is he grandstanding, wealth-shaming, pandering or just trying to buy votes?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »

According to the left "Yes".

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »

You forgot "cheapskate".

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »
I have not seen any outrage over that photo, just outrage over the outrage.
1.  Who complained? 
2.  How many complaints did it take before the school knuckled under and removed it? 
3.  I have to wonder if there were no complaints but some squish in the school administration removed it for fear of complaints. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »
1.  Who complained? 
2.  How many complaints did it take before the school knuckled under and removed it? 
3.  I have to wonder if there were no complaints but some squish in the school administration removed it for fear of complaints. 

I THINK IT'S TERRIBLE THAT WE'RE MILITARIZING SCHOOLS! WE CAN'T ALLOW SOLDIERS IN UNIFORMS TO SET FOOT ON SCHOOL PROPERTY.

IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN. *

* Obligatory disclaimer
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:25 PM »
Quote from: RoadKingLarry on Today at 02:55:59 PM
Saw where Trump ponied up $1M  from his own pocket.

Quote from: Amy Schumer:
According to the left "Yes".

Boy, you got that right.

Quote from: Sideways_8
 There's no appeasing people like that. Theyre going to keep pushing until they win (not good for us) or people push back hard against them (also not good for us.

Boy, you got that right, too.

I can't decide whether leftists are smarter than we are about setting up corners for us to get stuck in, or they just have more time and money to hire those who can think up corners for us to get stuck in.

???

Terry

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2017, 11:37:17 PM »
I THINK IT'S TERRIBLE THAT WE'RE MILITARIZING SCHOOLS! WE CAN'T ALLOW SOLDIERS IN UNIFORMS TO SET FOOT ON SCHOOL PROPERTY.

IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN. *

* Obligatory disclaimer
And that was a school administrator.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »
And now Trump isn't hugging anyone. The article below doesn't say that specifically, though they infer it with the Pence comment (remember Pence visited at a later date). However, I did hear it specifically stated on the teevee this morning. The left was even praising Bush over his "empathy" (nevermind the bashing he got during that event). Of course Obama singing Amazing Grace was also reverently mentioned.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but response and rescue were still in full force last Tuesday. If Trump went to the hardest hit areas to hug victims, he would have been piled on (and rightly so) for turning things upside down, as would happen with the logistics of any presidential event in the field. In the most intense time of the response, I want my president operational, not kissing babies for PR.

I suppose at this point this is all a big win for Trump. The left wanted desperately to show how he failed "the people". Yet we have all levels of government pretty much getting along, and the people of Texas are driving progressives to drink with their "can do" attitude that is greatly contributing to the relatively smooth response we've seen here. Smoother than any other disaster response in recent memory - especially considering the magnitude of the event.

So all progressives and SJWs have left is hugs and shoes. I encourage them to continue with that.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/02/politics/donald-trump-texas-harvey/index.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
Oh - and Melania wore stilettos again today on her way to Texas.

I award her two thumbs up.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/09/02/ha-melania-trump-gives-media-another-chance-to-lose-their-minds-by-leaving-for-texas-in-stilettos/

All that's left is for Gov. Abbot to make her an honorary [sic] Texan.

I also note she is again needlessly accessorizing w/ sun glasses, which was also held against her the last time.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »
Ben cited:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/02/politics/donald-trump-texas-harvey/index.html

That was a CNN article?  I'm stunned.

Five'll getcha eight those two reporters ("By Betsy Klein and Jeremy Diamond, CNN") are due for re-education or relocation.

Maybe both.

Terry

ETA: "CNN's Stephanie Elam contributed to this report."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:26:30 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »
I don't watch CNN for the same reason I don't eat out of the toilet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »
"Don't come into Fort Bend County and start waving guns around because you could leave in a bag," Nehls said.

http://abc13.com/news/homeowner-fatally-shoots-robbery-suspect-in-fort-bend-co/1334391/