Author Topic: Tesla added battery capability for Florida residents.  (Read 3606 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Tesla added battery capability for Florida residents.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 08:52:15 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »
Do those cars have any trunk space?

They have a huge trunk.  And a big frunk (front trunk.  no engine under the hood, you see).
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
Sounds like a small generator isn't practical for doing a full recharge, but if you get stranded, a small generator might get you somewhere you can do a full recharge.  I was thinking about those small generators that might fit in a trunk.  Do those cars have any trunk space?

I agree with the comment that having a second car/truck that uses gas is probably more practical. 

I think at this point you might as well skip the generator, and install a second engine to power the car that runs off of gas. =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
I think at this point you might as well skip the generator, and install a second engine to power the car that runs off of gas. =D
No, get a truck and trailer and pull the Tesla up on the trailer.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:14 AM »
Sounds like a small generator isn't practical for doing a full recharge, but if you get stranded, a small generator might get you somewhere you can do a full recharge.  I was thinking about those small generators that might fit in a trunk.  Do those cars have any trunk space?

I agree with the comment that having a second car/truck that uses gas is probably more practical. 

The Tesla has a relatively large amount of trunk space, and even a 'frunk', or front trunk, as a lot of what is up front is for style and aerodynamics, not an engine.

On the other hand, long trips are when you typically want cargo space and more people, right?  How about renting a small uhaul that comes with an attached generator set?  Or even a pusher system?  More cargo space, extended range, etc...

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 01:12:06 AM »
The Tesla has a relatively large amount of trunk space, and even a 'frunk', or front trunk, as a lot of what is up front is for style and aerodynamics, not an engine.

On the other hand, long trips are when you typically want cargo space and more people, right?  How about renting a small uhaul that comes with an attached generator set?  Or even a pusher system?  More cargo space, extended range, etc...

Or, heck, I dunno, buy a gas/diesel powered pickup in the first place?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 07:50:31 AM »
Sounds like a small generator isn't practical for doing a full recharge, but if you get stranded, a small generator might get you somewhere you can do a full recharge.  I was thinking about those small generators that might fit in a trunk.  Do those cars have any trunk space?

Still not practical.

My "small" 5kw gen is still ~150 lbs and 3x2x2.5 ft.  You will have a hard time squeezing it into a Tesla.  You can get small inverter generators that will physically fit in the car (Like a Honda U3000) but you are still chasing your tail.

Numbers:
A generator small enough to fit in the car like I posted above will charge a Model S at approx 7 miles/hour.  Honda says that EU3000 will run for "7.2 - 20 hours on a tank (3.4 gals) depending on load"  The Charge rate we're using is 2.8 kw (98% of the gens rated load) so I'll round it off to 10 hrs on 3.4 gal.  So .34gal/hr fuel use on the gen. Times 7 miles/hr charge rate is 20.5 MPG on the Tesla.  With LONG breaks on the side of the road to "refuel".

Also, this plan involves carrying a generator and several cans of gasoline either in the back seat or trunk of a passenger car, which is generally contraindicated for safety reasons.  (and might very well be suicidal in a Tesla, electrical discharge and recharging are known to be kinda ignition source producing.)

No, the answer in an evacuation is you leave the Tesla behind and take whatever your other car is.  I strongly doubt that there's very many single car households out there that single car is a $100,000 EV.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:22:42 AM by dogmush »

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
What good is having their recharge network if power goes down for most of the state?
Well, if that happens, you aren't going to be getting gasoline, either. Gas station pumps are electric.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
Well, if that happens, you aren't going to be getting gasoline, either. Gas station pumps are electric.

I actually have a 12VDC Gas pump that fits in my truck, and has enough lift to pull from underground tanks**, but that's edging *very* close to the "looting" line for something as predictable and .gov supported as an evacuation.  It's more of a SHTF/EOTWAWKI* kinda thing.

*FWIW, that pump is not any crazy prepper thing, I got it for transferring fuel to and from my boat without hauling the trailer around, and I got a deal through one of my vendors from work on a high lift one.  But if the zombies do come, I'm set.

**Assuming there's gas in the tanks, which was by far the more common problem last week than electrical power being down.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »
................but I can carry extra gas cans and fill them up ahead of the storm.  I am sure they have battery or generator trailers, but IMO it would be simpler just to have a small truck for weekend trips and use that.  If you still have a trailer, use the trailer to carry the electric car instead of generators.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
Still not practical.

My "small" 5kw gen is still ~150 lbs and 3x2x2.5 ft.  You will have a hard time squeezing it into a Tesla.  You can get small inverter generators that will physically fit in the car (Like a Honda U3000) but you are still chasing your tail.

Numbers:
A generator small enough to fit in the car like I posted above will charge a Model S at approx 7 miles/hour.  Honda says that EU3000 will run for "7.2 - 20 hours on a tank (3.4 gals) depending on load"  The Charge rate we're using is 2.8 kw (98% of the gens rated load) so I'll round it off to 10 hrs on 3.4 gal.  So .34gal/hr fuel use on the gen. Times 7 miles/hr charge rate is 20.5 MPG on the Tesla.  With LONG breaks on the side of the road to "refuel".

Also, this plan involves carrying a generator and several cans of gasoline either in the back seat or trunk of a passenger car, which is generally contraindicated for safety reasons.  (and might very well be suicidal in a Tesla, electrical discharge and recharging are known to be kinda ignition source producing.)

No, the answer in an evacuation is you leave the Tesla behind and take whatever your other car is.  I strongly doubt that there's very many single car households out there that single car is a $100,000 EV.

They probably just don't want to leave a car that cost more than their house behind to get trashed by floodwaters.  ;/  (So get a car dolly and tow it behind your pickup when you skedaddle)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »

Even my 17-year old Jeep Cherokee gets a minimum of 300 miles to a tank (20 gallons @ 15 MPG -- but it generally gets 17 to 18, and I've seen as high as 24 MPG highway when it wasn't bumper to bumper). Two 5-gallon NATO style Jerry cans adds another half tank, or 150 to 200 miles. That's enough to get me at least back to where the power is operational, if not completely out of the state.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:16 PM »
Even my 17-year old Jeep Cherokee gets a minimum of 300 miles to a tank (20 gallons) Two 5-gallon NATO style Jerry cans adds another half tank, or 150 to 200 miles. That's enough to get me at least back to where the power is operational, if not completely out of the state.

Yup. Key of course is keeping tanks at least half full all the time. My 4Runner has about a 400 mile range. Much more impressively, my F150 has a 600 mile range with the standard 23gal tank. If I would have gotten the optional 36gal tank, I reckon I could make it half way across the country before I needed a fillup. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
Yup. Key of course is keeping tanks at least half full all the time. My 4Runner has about a 400 mile range. Much more impressively, my F150 has a 600 mile range with the standard 23gal tank. If I would have gotten the optional 36gal tank, I reckon I could make it half way across the country before I needed a fillup. :)

26 mpg is really good for a full size truck.  My older Subaru averages 25mpg.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?