Author Topic: Local motorcyclist has an exciting traffic stop  (Read 5272 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Local motorcyclist has an exciting traffic stop
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
That detective needs a time out.....a very long time out without pay IMO.

I know of a motorcyclist in that part of the state that had the exact same thing happen to him, he bought two new motorcycles with the tax payer money that was given to him. Too bad it had to be tax payer money. It should have come out of the cop's savings for being stupid. :(

bob
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:07:03 PM by BobR »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »
A non-uniformed cop draws his gun on someone without identifying himself first?  Why is this not assault with a deadly weapon? 

And why is he stopping someone for a non-emergency in the first place, rather than radio to have someone in a uniform and marked car do it?

(just watched part of the video and it's worse than I thought.  Looks like an armed robbery)
"It's good, though..."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
(just watched part of the video and it's worse than I thought.  Looks like an armed robbery)

I'd have assumed armed robbery as well.  

Cop knows he's doing something wrong, why else hold the gun in that way to hide it?

I'd have been going 'just take the bike!'

My other thought was "oh *expletive deleted*ck oh *expletive deleted*ck oh *expletive deleted*ck"

Officer looks a bit older, didn't recognize the helmet camera?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »
That detective needs a time out.....a very long time out without pay IMO.

He deserves jail time.

A non-uniformed cop draws his gun on someone without identifying himself first?  Why is this not assault with a deadly weapon? 

I have the same questions.

Cop knows he's doing something wrong, why else hold the gun in that way to hide it?

I don't think the cop is trying to hide the gun.  He is holding it in a retention position to prevent the biker from grabbing it easily (not that the biker would grab it).
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »

And why is he stopping someone for a non-emergency in the first place, rather than radio to have someone in a uniform and marked car do it?

(just watched part of the video and it's worse than I thought.  Looks like an armed robbery)

IMHO the detective is lucky the biker wasn't armed, because the biker would have been FULLY justified in shooting him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 07:06:59 PM »
It was indeed worse than I thought, too.

I agree that was a tactical hold, not necessarily a hiding of the gun.  But no badge showing?  Only visible ID as a cop was the lighting in his car, and anybody can put lights in a car.

And I didn't see it as reckless driving at all, though I'm always cautious about passing a string of cars like that. Experience talking.

Also, I guess his actual speed could be calculated from the video.  Don't know if that's a good idea, from the 'cyclist's point of view. :)

FYI, after a bunch of false ID-ing-as-a-cop robberies and so forth, about five(?) years ago, Colorado made impersonating a police officer in any way shape or form, a felony.

One of the very few cases where elevating a violation to felony status was OK with me.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:19:03 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »
Would he have been justified in beating the alleged officer with his helmet as he took it off?   Looks like the deputy let his guard down at that point.  It was not obvious to me yet that it was not an armed robbery.  He had taken the wallet at gunpoint.
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:04:17 PM »
The cop should be sitting in jail facing a laundry list of charges.  Not on a paid vacation.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 10:27:20 PM »
The cop should be sitting in jail facing a laundry list of charges.  Not on a paid vacation.

It's paid leave, he still has to show up to be interviewed and questioned at IA's discretion, so not really vacation, until the investigation is done at least enough for the Sheriff/Chief to at least make a decision as to his continued employment per the terms of the contract and police union agreements.

Something like this?  1-2 days.  I allow generous periods for due process even for open and shut cases like this because I want due process and justice for everybody.

So 1-2 days to decide on employment and write up the paperwork for that.  Another day to decide on charges in coordination with the prosecutor's office.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
Due process is fine.  He should be on paid administrative leave (using up his accrued vacation) in jail while his wife tries to come up with the bail money.
"It's good, though..."

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 11:28:13 PM »
Also, I guess his actual speed could be calculated from the video.  Don't know if that's a good idea, from the 'cyclist's point of view. :)

The video is high definition enough that I know he was going 40mph by his speedometer at the start of the video.

You actually have to be careful trying to measure distance/time with video because sometimes it can be sped up/slowed down during playback.

IE recorded at 60hz, played back at 59.5 hz.  And yes, even with digital video.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 12:09:22 AM »
It's paid leave, he still has to show up to be interviewed and questioned at IA's discretion, so not really vacation, until the investigation is done at least enough for the Sheriff/Chief to at least make a decision as to his continued employment per the terms of the contract and police union agreements.

Something like this?  1-2 days.  I allow generous periods for due process even for open and shut cases like this because I want due process and justice for everybody.

If it's 1-2 days then there's no reason not to make it unpaid; you always have the option of retroactively reinstating pay, while it's near impossible to take it away after the fact.  I'm not aware of any employers with >3-4 employees that don't delay pay at least a week after the end of the period, so even if it's his equivalent of Wed-Fri without pay, the initial decision will be made before the check was even due.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 12:11:17 AM »
The video is high definition enough that I know he was going 40mph by his speedometer at the start of the video.

You actually have to be careful trying to measure distance/time with video because sometimes it can be sped up/slowed down during playback.

IE recorded at 60hz, played back at 59.5 hz.  And yes, even with digital video.

For some stupid reason, a lot of bike speedos read ~10% high. When mine says 40, actual speed is 36 on the gps and radar. I've talked to a lot of riders that have the same problem. It's bad enough there is a market for this.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 12:26:37 AM »
10% is a good guess. I dropped a new tune into my ECU and fixed that discrepancy a long time ago. I now match to GPS speed at all parts of my speedo and more importantly when trying to set the high score on the roadside speed monitors that the police set out for education and awareness. :)

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 12:32:21 AM »
The speedo on my 2012 Suzuki DL650 is 10% high.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 12:41:09 AM »
10% is a good guess. I dropped a new tune into my ECU and fixed that discrepancy a long time ago. I now match to GPS speed at all parts of my speedo and more importantly when trying to set the high score on the roadside speed monitors that the police set out for education and awareness. :)

bob

The 10% is pretty much due to federal law.  It says that the speedo must absolutely NOT read a lower speed than you are actually going, but does allow it to overstate quite severely.

My truck speedo is about 20% fast.  Because I could put bigger tires on it.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »
Your truck speedo is low with bigger tires.
 One revolution travels further on a large circumference.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
Your truck speedo is low with bigger tires.
 One revolution travels further on a large circumference.

My speedo reads 55mph when I'm doing 50.  Oops, now that I've rested, that's 10%.

I put bigger tires on it, it might read 55mph when I'm doing 52mph, as the axles are rotating at the same speed.

They set the speedo to read fast, so that it won't be slow even with bigger tires.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 09:07:22 AM »
The hole on the shooty end of the gun is a lot bigger when you're in front of it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
My speedo reads 55mph when I'm doing 50.  Oops, now that I've rested, that's 10%.

I put bigger tires on it, it might read 55mph when I'm doing 52mph, as the axles are rotating at the same speed.

They set the speedo to read fast, so that it won't be slow even with bigger tires.
Just get bigger tires until it reads the same.  =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
Just get bigger tires until it reads the same.  =D

I would have to had tiny tires on my first truck for that to work. It was a bit low. At 70 mph, the speedometer would be at 58 mph.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 12:26:23 AM »
The 10% is pretty much due to federal law.  It says that the speedo must absolutely NOT read a lower speed than you are actually going, but does allow it to overstate quite severely.

My truck speedo is about 20% fast.  Because I could put bigger tires on it.

They had to put slightly smaller tires on my car since they were out of stock on the correct size.  My speedo now reads 31-32 when the radar devices say exactly 30.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
So many wrongs by that officer in that video.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!