Author Topic: Watkins Select Kentucky Bourbon  (Read 7429 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Watkins Select Kentucky Bourbon
« on: August 30, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
Many years ago I tried Jack Daniels and hated the taste. I assumed a didn't like whiskey.

Fewer years ago, I tried a sample of Maker's Mark at the ABC store. I discovered it wasn't whiskey I disliked, but JD.

Since then, I've been pretty much exclusively Maker's Mark 46. (I tried some others, but I preferred the taste of the MM)

I happened upon some of the title bourbon while in Delaware at a Total Wine store. (SHOCKINGLY discovering that when alcohol distribution isn't run by the state, you find much greater variety. Whodathunkit?)

I believe it is their house brand. In any case, as I noted the price was less than half of Maker's Mark (not even the "premium" 46), I got a little sample bottle. After trying it I went back for the larger bottle.

I'll readily admit it's not better than Maker's Mark, but it is comparable- I am equally pleased with both of the bourbons.

If you have an opportunity to try it out, it's a pleasant surprise in a less expensive bourbon.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Watkins Select Kentucky Bourbon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »
I went through the same progression as well.  I like whiskey, but hate JD.

You might try non-bourbon whiskies as well.  I'm a fan of Rye.  Bulleit is a good one is easily found in VA.  I'm currently drinking Wild Turkey Rye.  It's ok, but lacks the peppery bite I like in a rye.  If you like "softer" whiskeys, wheat whiskeys are good.  Bernheim is my go-to there.

Then there is scotch.  Lots of good options there depending on your tastes.  However, an approachable and inexpensive option is Monkey Shoulder.  It's a blended scotch, but quite good.  In the Single Malts, try The Glenlivet for a mild option and Laphroaig for a peaty and smoky example on the other end of the scale.

Oh, and Japanese whiskey, don't forget that.  Good stuff there, but the low end is $40 and it goes up from there.

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:34:35 AM »
Try some Elijah Craig.  Not sure if it's Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey (don't have a bottle now to check); it has a little bit of rye in it.  I don't buy premium liquor very often, but that's the one I usually get.  Good price, too.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
I went through the same progression as well.  I like whiskey, but hate JD.

You might try non-bourbon whiskies as well.  I'm a fan of Rye.  Bulleit is a good one is easily found in VA.  I'm currently drinking Wild Turkey Rye.  It's ok, but lacks the peppery bite I like in a rye.  If you like "softer" whiskeys, wheat whiskeys are good.  Bernheim is my go-to there.

Then there is scotch.  Lots of good options there depending on your tastes.  However, an approachable and inexpensive option is Monkey Shoulder.  It's a blended scotch, but quite good.  In the Single Malts, try The Glenlivet for a mild option and Laphroaig for a peaty and smoky example on the other end of the scale.

Oh, and Japanese whiskey, don't forget that.  Good stuff there, but the low end is $40 and it goes up from there.

Chris

I tried a nice scotch at an upscale event and it was fine (the name escapes me, though). I didn't dislike it, but I still preferred the bourbon.

I did pick up a sample of some Irish Whiskey (Wolfhound) that was made with wheat. It also was good, but didn't impress me, either.

(Now I did see a Japanese whiskey in Delaware as well. No samples and I wasn't ready to drop $40 on 750ml just to try it. Given my wife's affinity for things Japanese, we'll likely be trying it eventually.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »
I tried a nice scotch at an upscale event and it was fine (the name escapes me, though). I didn't dislike it, but I still preferred the bourbon.

I did pick up a sample of some Irish Whiskey (Wolfhound) that was made with wheat. It also was good, but didn't impress me, either.

(Now I did see a Japanese whiskey in Delaware as well. No samples and I wasn't ready to drop $40 on 750ml just to try it. Given my wife's affinity for things Japanese, we'll likely be trying it eventually.)

I've come to find two in my cabinet that are restocked. Redbreast Irish and Speyburn 10 year single malt Scotch. To be honest, I never figured a $20 bottle of scotch would be that good, but it is.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 11:44:59 AM »
Gin Gin Gin

Giny Gin Gin
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 11:49:47 AM »
I completely forgot about Irish whiskey.  Good stuff there as well, though I've only sampled the low end of that market (Jameson and Tullamore DEW).

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
I also started as a whiskey hater via JD, Wild Turkey, and Southern Comfort in High School, all drunk under peer pressure via shots or the bottle. It wasn't until my  late 30's that I started to appreciate whiskey again. First through Maker's Mark, then moving to ryes via Old Overholt (both generally drunk in things like Old Fashioneds versus straight), to my current appreciation of fine (and sometimes inexpensive) whiskies.

I'm a big rye guy but also drink bourbon, and in the last ten years have also come to appreciate smokey, smokey, Islay scotch (thanks Ron Swanson!). People think I'm paid off by them, but I absolutely love most High West whiskies. Campfire is probably my favorite - a blend of rye, bourbon, and scotch. For people who want to experiment with high quality whiskey,  I always recommend High West double rye. It compares with many $80-$100 bottles of whiskey I've had (and is often better), but can often be found for $30/bottle. It's my favorite for having along with my steak on Sundays.

But yeah, GOOD whiskey, sipped (straight up, rocks, a little water, whatever floats your boat) is a whole nother world compared to grocery store whiskey that you shoot down your throat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »
I completely forgot about Irish whiskey.  Good stuff there as well, though I've only sampled the low end of that market (Jameson and Tullamore DEW).

Chris

I have yet to find an Irish whiskey that I really like, verse tolerate. I've had both Jameson and Tullemore dew, but they end up tasting like Speyside scotches to me. That's not a knock on the whiskey. In scotches some people love Speysides and hate Islays. My palate is just the opposite.

Though before I spend money experimenting on more Irish whiskies, I still need to try the Japanese whiskies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
I also started as a whiskey hater via JD, Wild Turkey, and Southern Comfort in High School, all drunk under peer pressure via shots or the bottle. It wasn't until my  late 30's that I started to appreciate whiskey again. First through Maker's Mark, then moving to ryes via Old Overholt (both generally drunk in things like Old Fashioneds versus straight), to my current appreciation of fine (and sometimes inexpensive) whiskies.

I'm a big rye guy but also drink bourbon, and in the last ten years have also come to appreciate smokey, smokey, Islay scotch (thanks Ron Swanson!). People think I'm paid off by them, but I absolutely love most High West whiskies. Campfire is probably my favorite - a blend of rye, bourbon, and scotch. For people who want to experiment with high quality whiskey,  I always recommend High West double rye. It compares with many $80-$100 bottles of whiskey I've had (and is often better), but can often be found for $30/bottle. It's my favorite for having along with my steak on Sundays.

But yeah, GOOD whiskey, sipped (straight up, rocks, a little water, whatever floats your boat) is a whole nother world compared to grocery store whiskey that you shoot down your throat.

Currently $40 per bottle at ABC. I'll be on the lookout for it next time I'm making purchases.

And, as winter is coming: one other whiskey I've discovered: Bird Dog Blackberry Whiskey. Just awful by itself (nasty, and way too sweet), but tastes very good in eggnog. (And since I'd hate to waste a good whiskey to mix with eggnog, it works out well.)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »
Currently $40 per bottle at ABC. I'll be on the lookout for it next time I'm making purchases.

Costco (at least some of them) carry it part of the year for around $28. That's where I stock up. :)

Bevmo (if you have any near you, though they ship as well) will often have it around $34 for the Club Bev price. But yeah, $40 is about retail for it. I was at the High West Distillery in Park City last week, and that's what they were selling it for there. You'd think they'd do a discount at the source, but then it's yuppie Park City. When I stop at the distillery, I generally will just buy a bottle or two of one of their products that is hard to come by elsewhere, like the Yippee Ki-Yay.