Author Topic: North Korea and Hydrogen  (Read 1490 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
North Korea and Hydrogen
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »
Potentially going next level now with an H warhead.

For some perspective, I thought this article from the Sydney Morning Herald was interesting, especially for how the non-US parts of the world see China's role.

http://amp.smh.com.au/world/kim-jongun-crossed-chinas-red-line-with-nuclear-test-now-ball-is-in-beijings-court-20170903-gy9sva.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: North Korea and Hydrogen
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
So, what we're really saying is that we missed the opportunity to conduct a preemptive strike.

10-4.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:05:05 PM »
We probably have a small window of opportunity because warhead and re-entry vehicle integration with the ICBM isn't complete yet, and probably won't be, but that's small comfort to the South and Japan who are in range with the less advanced IRBM and SRBM systems they have now.

But the article does point out one thing I've been saying, one of North Korea's biggest threats is China itself. And long-term at least, the nuclear/MAD deterrence is as much for China as it is for the U.S. The entire thing goes unspoken as an elephant in the room when it comes to the North's and China's relationship, but the North Koreans/Jongs know full well that despite China's patronage in the past, that China has been willing to invade or war with other neighboring nations, even Communist ones if it suits their interests, like the invasion/war with Vietnam, over Vietnam invading Burma to depose the Khmer Rouge, who's genocide was getting too sporty even for their fellow Communists, and China retaliating by invading Vietnam.

And the whole nuclear program is a calculated risk that they can get it up and running faster than China can finally decide "enough is enough" and try for regime change in the DRPK.

Yes, China pretty much demands that they have the North as a buffer-state between them and the South and U.S. forces, but it needs to be a stable nation they can control or at least trust. And right now they can't.

I promise not to duck.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 10:44:49 PM »
But is it possible that the NK leadership is not full of Chinese moles? I assume China has enough people in place, both subverted Norks and Chinese agents, that anything that China wants stopped they can get stopped without much trouble.

Anyone they want removed can be. And that includes Kim.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »
But is it possible that the NK leadership is not full of Chinese moles? I assume China has enough people in place, both subverted Norks and Chinese agents, that anything that China wants stopped they can get stopped without much trouble.

Anyone they want removed can be. And that includes Kim.

Maybe this is part of the reason for all the executions over the last few years. Maybe Kim is removing people that he thinks are too close with China.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
Can't we just bribe the ruskies to over run kin Jon ding dong and he can have what's left as a parting gift? Win win for us.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
Tell China that the day NK has a nuke deliverable by ICBM is the day Japan - and maybe South Korea - get their own nukes.

China's leadership may not like that very much.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »
Winter Olympics are set to start in Pyeongchang, South Korea, in five months.  Anyone think that the fat kid is trying to screw this up for the South Koreans?

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark