Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 24108 times)

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2017, 08:26:22 AM »
I'm right up I75 from you.  Let me know if you need anything once this goes through.

Thanks, will do.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »
You FL folks hang tough. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »
This came across on bookface on one of the sailing centric groups I'm in.
Haven't seen any validation yet but it does validate my preconceived notions of humanity.

All the sailing cruising groups say you don't need guns in the BVI/Caribbean because they are all trpical paradises where everyone gets along and helps each other in hard times.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »
This came across on bookface on one of the sailing centric groups I'm in.
Haven't seen any validation yet but it does validate my preconceived notions of humanity.

All the sailing cruising groups say you don't need guns in the BVI/Caribbean because they are all trpical paradises where everyone gets along and helps each other in hard times.

I'm OCing on my property while I finish the last couple things.  So are my neighbors.  the one that's a cop is wearing his duty belt with shorts and a T-shirt.  We live in a pretty good 'hood, but I have seen at least one car I think came from the trailer park a couple miles down the highway cruise through for no discernible reason.  Most folks around here are cool, and are/will help each other out, but it only takes a couple aholes.  That 3% rule works in both directions.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
If any of you are planning flights or vacations to anywhere in the Carribean in the next week or two, you might consider cancelling or delaying your trip.  Many of the airports will be out of service for a while.

I was trying to go to Montego Bay, Jamaica today, but we just got cancelled because of Irma, radar and radio outages, and airport closures that affect of flight planning.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2017, 01:47:34 PM »
Update:

Sheriff's Deputy drove by and saw me OC'ing in my yard while putting the last of the potted plants in the garage.  (I was picking up the pots by the road, so about 10 feet into my property.)

Stopped Car, got out, and approached me in my yard.

Wanted to know if I thought the 229 Legion was worth the upgrade over the normal 229, and if the trigger work was as good as the magazines claim.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »
Got the wife up from Miami on Wednesday.  Here in North Central FL,  Gainesville,  there is no gas.  No motel rooms.  I-75 is still crawling.  US 19/98 is crawling.  Grocery store shelves are stripped bare.  Plenty of booze at the liquor store though!   I was able to pick up more Ron Zacapa Centenario , Larceny Bourbon and Tank 7 Farmhouse ale.  :)
Looking like we will see a Cat 2 storm Monday morning.  Cedar Key on the west coast, across to St Augustine on the East coast.  I believe this is the first time that a single hurricane produced hurricane force winds on both coasts at the same time, all the way up the State.  Amazing storm. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
Looks like it's hugging the Cuban North coast at least for now.  Will it take a right turn or keep going toward Mexico??

Meanwhile, looks like Jose is following in the path of Irma.   And they expect another storm to form in the mid-Atlantic on Wednesday. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
Looks like it's hugging the Cuban North coast at least for now.  Will it take a right turn or keep going toward Mexico??

It's turning.  It's already started a little.  The steering winds in the gulf are grabbing her.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »
So much to the highly touted European Model that showed it going straight into Miami...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »
So, more rain for Houston, and points east?

Looks like it's either going to double back east, or just hang out at the confluence of GA, AL, TN. Here in SC we're definitely going to get really wet, just not sure how wet. And probably some nasty wind too.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:10:47 PM by lupinus »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »
I think we got ~15 minutes of rain out of Harvey.

These 58F overnight lows and clear skies aren't so bad.  Shop is closed Mondays, so I may load up the bike and go camping tomorrow after church.

CA/OR/ID/UT burn, FL blows and floods, Mexico shakes, Texas Gulf Coast gets a bath, and we don't need to water for a week or two.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2017, 09:51:26 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
Without downplaying the danger to humans, this stuff just pisses me off to no end. I read about the same thing happening in Texas. If you're going to abandon your animals, at least give them a fighting chance. This is just disgusting.

http://amp.wptv.com/2345352745/more-than-50-animals-found-tethered-to-trees-in-palm-beach-county-as-irma-approaches.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2017, 01:16:43 PM »
Without downplaying the danger to humans, this stuff just pisses me off to no end. I read about the same thing happening in Texas. If you're going to abandon your animals, at least give them a fighting chance. This is just disgusting.

http://amp.wptv.com/2345352745/more-than-50-animals-found-tethered-to-trees-in-palm-beach-county-as-irma-approaches.html

Did we need further proof that humankind can be the shittiest, most selfish, uncaring animals in God's creation?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
The looting has started. Shoes seem to be popular. I'm sure the left will spin it as "necessity looting" as people that are wearing shoes steal shoes.

https://twitchy.com/jacobb-38/2017/09/10/meanwhile-in-fort-lauderdale-it-looks-as-if-looting-is-well-underway/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
And people in Naples are complaining that they can't evacuate because they didn't get enough advance warning. Unbelievable. For a week prior, ALL the projections have included the caveat that the computer models are not exact, that Irma is a huge storm, and that all parts of Florida wre under threat.

I guess it's human nature to have an over-reliance on technology. When my brother was service manager of a BMW dealership, they had a very new BMW brought in on a flatbed wrecker. The owner said it "just stopped running." A quick check showed that it stopped because it was out of gas.

The owner (a woman, but I don't know if she was blonde) said, "That's impossible. The computer said I still had three miles to go before I needed gas."

Yes, that is a true story.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:43:53 PM by Hawkmoon »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »
Here's one you don't see every day -- even during hurricanes:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article172455117.html

So who gets to muck out the living room -- or the (ugh) kitchen?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2017, 09:14:55 PM »
Out of curiosity -- what happened to Jose?  I just zoomed out the weather radar and I don't see any sign of it.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2017, 09:41:54 PM »
From the look of the order, it's not worded to be a blanket seizure. But rather, that they can requisition stuff specifically for the emergency. And that they will pay for it.

I have less of a problem with that, so long as just compensation is provided.

Sounds like a "gun buyback" to me....
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2017, 09:43:27 PM »
If you had gone to TJ, the shitshow would have turned into a donkey show. :D

Chris

Bad Moderator!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2017, 11:58:58 PM »
Out of curiosity -- what happened to Jose?  I just zoomed out the weather radar and I don't see any sign of it.

Depending on which radar you we viewing, it may not reach that far.   Check the satellite data, Jose is still out there, following right on the heels of Irma...  And another could be formed/organized by Wednesday.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/cyclones/?atlc

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/rb-animated.gif

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2017, 09:08:14 AM »
Well that was fun.

No power, trees and branches down, and a little water in one of my spare rooms.

We got a little lucky here in Tampa as she shifted back east a tic. Having some coffee, then i'll go into the attic to see where that water came from.  I haven't pulled out the gen yet but I'll need to charge phones soon.

TimL,  you good?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:35:11 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.