Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 24110 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 10:24:39 PM »
And if you unzoom the NHC/NOAA maps, there's Tropical Storm Jose right behind Irma...

http://wx.hamweather.com/tropical/2017/atlantic/jose/clir/latest.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »
Jose is veering into the atlantic.
Irma is a monster though. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/05/virgin-islands-allows-national-guard-to-seize-guns-ammo-ahead-of-hurricane-irma/

From the look of the order, it's not worded to be a blanket seizure. But rather, that they can requisition stuff specifically for the emergency. And that they will pay for it.

I have less of a problem with that, so long as just compensation is provided.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
I hadn't heard there was a Jose storm yet.  I think Katia is next and then Lee.  If we get a Hurricane Lee, stay away from New Orleans.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
From the look of the order, it's not worded to be a blanket seizure. But rather, that they can requisition stuff specifically for the emergency. And that they will pay for it.

And so long as they are not tearing down your house to get it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
I really need to start my "Defend the 3A" charity/fundraising scam errrrr group. ...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
I hadn't heard there was a Jose storm yet.  

Stolen from another forum...
Don't worry. [Trump's] not letting a hurricane with a name like Jose in the States.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »
Stolen from another forum...
Don't worry. [Trump's] not letting a hurricane with a name like Jose in the States.

Chris

Tip your waitresses, ladies and germs, he'll be here all week!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »

One thing the Constitution got wrong. "Just compensation" should not have been allowed, but something along par "three times market value if the owner doesn't wish to sell or the government needs to seize legitimately in a crisis."

It would at least make the government pause and think it over a bit first.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:48:29 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
One thing the Constitution got wrong. "Just compensation" should not have been allowed, but something along par "three times market value if the owner doesn't wish to sell or the government needs to seize legitimately in a crisis."

It would at least make the government pause and think it over a bit first.

From what I just read over on The Firing Line, the U.S. Virgin Islands don't operate under the COTUS. In fact, they don't have any constitution at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »

From that perspective, it could even be that someone, some .org, maybe a LEA already wanted to give the NG on the USVI some guns, assuming maybe they don't have any, or enough, and the governor wanted it to be extra super-duper legal etc.

But life without tinfoil is much more boring...
I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/05/virgin-islands-allows-national-guard-to-seize-guns-ammo-ahead-of-hurricane-irma/

Meanwhile in FL:

http://concealednation.org/2017/09/reminder-to-florida-residents-your-governor-signed-a-bill-allowing-concealed-carry-during-emergency-evacuations/

During declared emergencies a mandatory evacuation, you don't need a permit to carry concealed.  (Now if we could just get Open Carry)

edited because I actually read the bill, and had mis-typed what it does.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
From what I just read over on The Firing Line, the U.S. Virgin Islands don't operate under the COTUS. In fact, they don't have any constitution at all.

They are part of these United States, the US Constitution most certainly applies to restrain the Federal Government.

And I can hardly see a situation where the NG needs to grab private citizen's firearms.  And given that gun ownership is already fairly difficult in many US Territories, I really can't see that happening.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »

From the pics I've seen of the VI the houses are already torn down, it would just be a matter of picking through the rubble.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
Time to check out the chainsaw, looks like a mess when it sticks into my part of the mountains.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »
Time to check out the chainsaw, looks like a mess when it sticks into my part of the mountains.

Have they definitely decided it's going east, then? Because the report this morning said they wouldn't really be able to tell when it would turn until late Thursday.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 07:56:41 PM »
I think this is their current best guess on where Irma will track

irma track by lmmiers, on Flickr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »

Is that the African Model or the European Model? 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »

Well, that certainly narrows it down -- to the northern hemisphere.

This morning's compilation of several computer predictions. Looks like they're thinking it'll run up the east coast of Florida -- probably.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 11:03:03 PM »
Wait...what the hell.... looks like it'll go through Chicago in quite a few of those models in the second picture.  (that's dated 3 Sep 2017 or 3 days ago, let me see if I can find something a bit more current...)

Most models still show it running up the east coast....However, the European model (touted to be more accurate) paints a giant bullseye on Miami.

Either way, if I lived in Florida, my ass would be headed north...Evac order or no...Because I heard they are going to wait until they get Thursday's model(s) as whether or not to order the Evacuation, but then everyone and their brother will be headed north, and it will be a giant cluster, with gas stations out of fuel, traffic jams, etc....Even worse then trying to ride it out...Run...Run NOW !!!!)

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/heres-what-the-worlds-most-accurate-weather-model-predicts-for-irma/

And many models show that our South Cackalacky Triumvirate will get Irma right in the puss if it doesn't sink Florida...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:32:23 AM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2017, 12:25:25 AM »
Have they definitely decided it's going east, then? Because the report this morning said they wouldn't really be able to tell when it would turn until late Thursday.

I believe no model. Thing will be so big that something will end up here no matter where it goes. And I have stubborn as well as not stubborn old people to keep tabs on. I miss the good old days when a hurricane was good because it disappeared the road in front of school so no school was had for a good long while. Or my dad driving us to the beach specifically to be in the path of a cat 1 landfall because tourism or something. Or sitting on my city house porch in another weak storm cooking the thawing ribs on the grill, drinking bourbon, reading questionable magazines with an AR-15 propped against the wall wishing my hood had proper looters.
 Hurricanes with responsibility are no fun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2017, 02:16:34 AM »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »

Either way, if I lived inSoutheast Florida, my ass would be headed north...Evac order or no...Because I heard they are going to wait until they gets Thursday's model(s) as whether or not to order the Evacuation, but then everyone and their brother will be headed north, and it will be a giant cluster, with gas stations out of fuel, traffic jams, etc....Every worse then trying to ride it out...Run...Run NOW !!!!)

FTFY,

FL is a big state, if you evacuated From Tallahassee for this storm, you'd be an idiot.  Hell, I'm not going anywhere, and I live just Northeast of Tampa.

Also, making evacuation decisions based on the 5 day predictions is an exercise in futility.  They are so inaccurate, I know several people that evacuated IN to hurricanes based on the 5 day "Cone".  Unless you live in the Keys or something, 72 hours is enough time to GTFO if needed.