Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 24102 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2017, 07:53:56 AM »
At least in the CONUS there is someplace to go.
I got to ride out hurricane Iwa on Oahu in November 1982. At least Pearl Harbor didn't take a direct hit but it was still a *expletive deleted*it show.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »
At least in the CONUS there is someplace to go.
I got to ride out hurricane Iwa on Oahu in November 1982. At least Pearl Harbor didn't take a direct hit but it was still a *expletive deleted*it show.

Mistake we made in Mexico was not renting a car and fleeing north to TJ.
Odile was a *expletive deleted*it show for sure!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
Mistake we made in Mexico was not renting a car and fleeing north to TJ.
Odile was a *expletive deleted*it show for sure!

If you had gone to TJ, the shitshow would have turned into a donkey show. :D

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
Kudos to a particularly ballsy Delta Airlines crew: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/09/06/hurricane-irma-delta-flight-puerto-rico/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
"Mistake we made in Mexico was not renting a car and fleeing north to TJ."

No, the mistake was being IN Mexico, willingly, in the first place.

You could not pay me enough money to entice me to visit Mexico right now.

I would LOVE to go see the ruins, but I don't want to get caught up in their drug wars, their tainted alcohol wars, or any of the other million and ten shitshows that are the main attraction in Mexico right now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2017, 04:22:49 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »
Well, we got our first wave of evacuee's at our shop this morning. Five anatolians, who's two people will be staying with my boss's until they can go home and a Chinese Chrested (I don't know where it's lady is staying)

I don't know if more are coming. I know Katie put out an open invite for their farm.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »
"Pride goeth before a fall."

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/07/richard-bransons-luxury-necker-island-home-completely-destroyed-by-hurricane-irma-6909022/

Just a day or so ago, Richard Branson refused to evacuate his private island in the Caribbean because he was certain it was solidly built and could withstand the storm. The storm must not have read the interview, because it destroyed the home.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/07/richard-bransons-luxury-necker-island-home-completely-destroyed-by-hurricane-irma-6909022/

Just a day or so ago, Richard Branson refused to evacuate his private island in the Caribbean because he was certain it was solidly built and could withstand the storm. The storm must not have read the interview, because it destroyed the home.

Of course Irma read the story, then said, "hold my beer and watch this *expletive deleted*it".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2017, 02:32:30 AM »
I left Ft Lauderdale yesterday around 1pm.  It took me two hours to get enough gas to get out of the area, then I was able to fill up and keep going.  And just getting out of south Florida was a pain, since everyone else was headed north, too.

About half of the gas stations were out of gas, the other half were packed with people trying to get gas.  Most everyone was polite, but I did see one a-hole jump the line.  For a minute I thought he might get some street discipline, but no joy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2017, 02:33:57 AM »
Kudos to a particularly ballsy Delta Airlines crew: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/09/06/hurricane-irma-delta-flight-puerto-rico/

Wasn't that bad.  Winds were light, and just heavy rain.  Not convective.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:14 AM »

Would you want to evacuate when you have a fully stocked wine cellar?

I certainly wouldn't.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2017, 07:51:47 AM »
I'm in Sarasota, getting boarded up and preparing as much as possible.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »

I've got a sister in West Palm Beach and niece in Vero Beach.  I've offered to fly them (and their families) out and to stay with me here in Hurricane free Chicago, but both have decided to batten down the hatches and ride it out.  Decisions that do not give me warm fuzzies....The models show Florida taking this one right up the length of the state.  I fear this thing is going to be a killer.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »
Wasn't that bad.  Winds were light, and just heavy rain.  Not convective.

Even when it is "bad", I never in my time met a single hurricane hunter pilot who had any really scary story to tell about flying the P-3s through hurricanes, other than mechanical issues. Thunderstorms were another story. Every one of them hated doing thunderstorm research.

AFAIK, there has only been one deadly incident in all the time these programs have been going on, and that was back in the 40s.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »
Even when it is "bad", I never in my time met a single hurricane hunter pilot who had any really scary story to tell about flying the P-3s through hurricanes, other than mechanical issues. Thunderstorms were another story. Every one of them hated doing thunderstorm research.

AFAIK, there has only been one deadly incident in all the time these programs have been going on, and that was back in the 40s.

They have been really lucky considering the beating they take during these flights. Let's hope the luck holds forever.

There was an incident when flying into Hugo that the NOAA P3 got caught in a tornadic updraft and was nearly lost. They were able to regain control about 700ft and were led out through the eye wall by an Air Force C130 also in there.

Another time IIRC a P3 over the North Atlantic lost 3 engines due to salt build up on the intake vanes (?). I can't find the article but I have talked to the Flight Engineer on that flight a couple of times. It was a ass puckering event for them.

bob

Just some reading:  https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-hunter-turbulent-flight-patricia-irene-hugo

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »

Another time IIRC a P3 over the North Atlantic lost 3 engines due to salt build up on the intake vanes (?). I can't find the article but I have talked to the Flight Engineer on that flight a couple of times. It was a ass puckering event for them.

I was out drinking with some of the guys not on that flight right after. I can't remember the details anymore, but yeah, they thought that was it for them. One of them emailed me the after action. I need to see if I can find it in my old work archive.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »

It was a USN P2V, callsign Snowcloud Five, lost Sept. 26, 1955 while flying a penetration on hurricane "Janet".  Its last transmission was:

"NAVY RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHT 5U93, OBSERVATION NUMBER FIVE, AT 1330 GMT (8:30AM EST), MONDAY, LOCATED AT LATITUDE 15.4 DEGREES N, LONGITUDE 78.2 DEGREES W. OBLIQUE AND HORIZONTAL VISIBILITY 3-10 MILES, ALTITUDE 700 FEET, FLIGHT WIND 050 DEGREES (NE) 45 KNOTS (52 MPH). PRESENT WEATHER LIGHT INTERMITTENT SHOWERS, PAST WEATHER SAME, OVERCAST AND SOME SCUD BELOW, SURFACE PRESSURE 1,003 MILLIBARS (29.62 INCHES), SURFACE WINDS 050 DEGREES (NE), 45 KNOTS (52 MPH). BEGINNING PENETRATION."

Eleven souls on board, all lost, the aircraft was never found.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »

Yep. Before he shipped overseas in WW2, my father was stationed at Bryan Army Airfield in Texas. His best friend at Bryan was J.B. Jones-Burdick. According to family lore, JB was the first person to fly through the eye of a hurricane.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
They have been really lucky considering the beating they take during these flights. Let's hope the luck holds forever.

There was an incident when flying into Hugo that the NOAA P3 got caught in a tornadic updraft and was nearly lost. They were able to regain control about 700ft and were led out through the eye wall by an Air Force C130 also in there.

bob

Just some reading:  https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-hunter-turbulent-flight-patricia-irene-hugo

It's worth noting that as that Hugo penetration and slamming up and down was happening, one of their engines caught fire.  So they got to circle inside the eye of Hugo trying to get some altitude to get out.

https://noaahrd.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/25th-anniversary-of-a-hairy-hop-into-hurricane-hugo/

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »
Getting back to one at hand.  Current track shows it going up the west side of Florida.  Hang On Dogmush.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
Current prediction has it making landfall as a cat 4 near Ft Myers.  So, still cat 4 as it passes me and weak cat 4 or strong 3 near Tampa. What a ride.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2017, 12:23:06 AM »
It looks like SC is not, at this time, going to get clobbered. However, we are going to get very, very wet, and possibly somewhat windblown. As some of you know, I work for the State Guard which means if anything really exciting happens, I get called. So we will see what happens.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2017, 12:26:02 AM »
So, more rain for Houston, and points east?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2017, 08:01:01 AM »

I'm right up I75 from you.  Let me know if you need anything once this goes through.