Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 24106 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »
^^^ Fixed the link.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »
Well that was fun.

No power, trees and branches down, and a little water in one of my spare rooms.

We got a little lucky here in Tampa as she shifted back east a tic. Having some coffee, then i'll go into the attic to see where that water came from.  I haven't pulled out the gen yet but I'll need to charge phones soon.

TimL,  you good?

Glad to hear you made it out relatively unscathed!

Though one of the things I hate dealing with most is water inside a place and the potential follow up problems. I hope you're able to dry things out quickly!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2017, 05:29:46 PM »
Well that was fun.

No power, trees and branches down, and a little water in one of my spare rooms.

We got a little lucky here in Tampa as she shifted back east a tic. Having some coffee, then i'll go into the attic to see where that water came from.  I haven't pulled out the gen yet but I'll need to charge phones soon.

TimL,  you good?

Made out pretty good, have power, no trees down but do have a few branches down and a few panels of aluminum from a carport.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »
What is this apparent storm in the north Atlantic?  A nor'easter?  I don't think it was there yesterday; that also means I don't know which direction it's moving, maybe it's moving east or north so nobody cares...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-77.22,33.22,567
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2017, 09:56:54 AM »
Just a low pressure area.  Not an issue.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:37 AM »
Thanks.  It just looked awfully-well organized, with an eye.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »
In another example of why corporations have a PR problem: Marriott Hotels chartered a ship with a capacity of 1800 people to evacuate 600 Marriott guests from St. Thomas. There were 35 non-Marriott guests at the pier who wanted to get off the island, and Marriott refused to allow them to board.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/tourists-left-stranded-hurricane-irma-11143338

"We very much wanted to assist these other travelers to Puerto Rico, however, the Marriott team on the ground was told they had no authorization to board additional passengers.

"With Hurricane Jose on a path to St. Thomas, the ferry had a tight window to pick up passengers and safely depart.

Really? How much longer would it have taken to allow 35 people to board? Would they have been denied boarding if they were Marriott guests, due to the "tight window"? I doubt it.

Shitty call by a shitty corporation. (Disclaimer: I have never been a Marriott employee, but I have worked for a company that did business with Marriott.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »
Everyone is afraid of liability these days.  And because of that, everyone is afraid to make a decision without approval from three VPs and a focus group.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2017, 04:02:43 PM »
Looks like the looting and armed robbery in St Martin is pretty freakin' out of hand. Interesting mental exercise to think about what  I would do in that situation as an American tourist there. When I've been to the Caribbean in the past, it was for diving, so the best personal weapon I'd have on hand is my dive knife (and that got stolen out of my checked bag once when I was on Grand Cayman).

It would definitely be "improvised weapons and lay low" time I think. I'm a firm believer in the old saw about "there's no winner in a knife fight", so I'd probably be looking to make a club or something. I wonder what guns are available on St Martin that the looters are using?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/12/looters-paradise-lawlessness-reportedly-rampant-in-caribbean-islands-devastated-by-hurricane-irma.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:43 PM »
Everyone is afraid of liability these days.  And because of that, everyone is afraid to make a decision without approval from three VPs and a focus group, and signoff from the risk managers and the lawyers.

I had to fix your potential liability in making that comment.  :angel:

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »
Looks like the looting and armed robbery in St Martin is pretty freakin' out of hand. Interesting mental exercise to think about what  I would do in that situation as an American tourist there. When I've been to the Caribbean in the past, it was for diving, so the best personal weapon I'd have on hand is my dive knife (and that got stolen out of my checked bag once when I was on Grand Cayman).

It would definitely be "improvised weapons and lay low" time I think. I'm a firm believer in the old saw about "there's no winner in a knife fight", so I'd probably be looking to make a club or something. I wonder what guns are available on St Martin that the looters are using?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/12/looters-paradise-lawlessness-reportedly-rampant-in-caribbean-islands-devastated-by-hurricane-irma.html

It's a borderline third world shithole, they can pretty much get any guns they can afford.
Obviously the solution to this sort of problem is more gun control. Imagine if the civilian population was armed and able to defend themselves, the poor criminals would have a hard time making a living.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »
When I was in Mexico, it took a couple days for looting to start.  By then, the federales were moving in.  Lady we met told us they were shooting looters.  That's what chased her back to the US was when they started shooting them in her neighborhood.  :rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2017, 10:07:26 AM »
https://pjmedia.com/faith/2017/09/11/the-best-kept-secret-in-disaster-relief-southern-baptists/

A reminder that Red Cross and the Salvation Army aren't your only choices to support for disaster relief.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »
https://pjmedia.com/faith/2017/09/11/the-best-kept-secret-in-disaster-relief-southern-baptists/

A reminder that Red Cross and the Salvation Army aren't your only choices to support for disaster relief.

Mennonites and Catholics have big DR programs as well, and I think the Lutherans and Methodists and probably lots of other denominations do too.  Then there's Franklin Graham's group Samaritan's Purse.  When you donate to the Southern Baptist DR 100% of the money goes to DR, the overhead costs come out of a different budget.  [disclosure: I'm a Southern Baptist] I can't speak to the other religious disaster relief orgs, they likely do the same.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
It's always a source of wonder and amazement that private DR orgs are able to use 90+% of the donations they receive to go directly to aid, as opposed to the .gov where 50+% goes to "Overhead" and salaries of the executives. (Red Cross excepted...)

But yes, I bet that the Lutherans, Methodists, Catholic DR orgs all direct most of their funding to actually helping those impacted as opposed to helping themselves (ala the Clinton Foundation.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »

Get good at using a sling?  You could probably pack one of those in your carry-on bag. 

I was thinking about an improvised spear, but a club would probably work better to ambush a gunman.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »

And the Church of Rome will even dispatch nuns with chainsaws.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21016/nun-used-chainsaw-clean-hurricane-irma-debris-and-aaron-bandler

The next Quentin Tarantino flick.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21016/nun-used-chainsaw-clean-hurricane-irma-debris-and-aaron-bandler

From Our Lady of the Immaculate Kerf, no doubt.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2017, 05:56:40 PM »
"Officials in Manatee County, Florida are under fire after an interpreter for the deaf warned about pizza and monsters during an emergency briefing related to Hurricane Irma."

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/sign_language_interpreter_used.html
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »
"Officials in Manatee County, Florida are under fire after an interpreter for the deaf warned about pizza and monsters during an emergency briefing related to Hurricane Irma."

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/sign_language_interpreter_used.html

I really hope that didn't have any tragic consequences for the hearing-impaired, because I was  :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
They got him from the same place they got the guy for Obama's speech at Mandela's memorial service.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »
My fair City took a decent hit.   It was not the same all over town though.  Several tornadoes added to the mess.  At the casa,  highest winds were 54 mph.  Some small downed limbs,  streets flooded to a depth of two feet.  Lost power for 13 hours.
I sheltered two friends from the West Coast.  Hommosassa Springs and Old Town.  We had a lot of fun,  consumed a huge quantity of spirits, and rode it out in style.  Home made bread,  pasta and meat sauce, Cream of Chicken Soup with rice and a cake.    Never lost water or gas for the range.
Did not fire up the generator at all.  A cool day on Monday,  and plenty of sunlight.
Florida is just not designed to evacuate millions of people.  The State Government is damned if they call for early evac, and dammed if they don't.  You just can't win,  when trying to herd millions of folks out of harm's way.
It's the storm surge and water that kills, not the wind.  Most people would be better served if they evacuated away from low lying areas and the coast.  No need to go all the way to Atlanta.
My wife drove back to Miami this morning.  Our Condo on Biscayne Bay was in fine shape. 

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2017, 01:30:19 PM »

Running a chainsaw with all that loose garb?  Jeeze !