Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 24370 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2017, 01:35:48 PM »
My fair City took a decent hit.   It was not the same all over town though.  Several tornadoes added to the mess.  At the casa,  highest winds were 54 mph.  Some small downed limbs,  streets flooded to a depth of two feet.  Lost power for 13 hours.
I sheltered two friends from the West Coast.  Hommosassa Springs and Old Town.  We had a lot of fun,  consumed a huge quantity of spirits, and rode it out in style.  Home made bread,  pasta and meat sauce, Cream of Chicken Soup with rice and a cake.    Never lost water or gas for the range.
Did not fire up the generator at all.  A cool day on Monday,  and plenty of sunlight.
Florida is just not designed to evacuate millions of people.  The State Government is damned if they call for early evac, and dammed if they don't.  You just can't win,  when trying to herd millions of folks out of harm's way.
It's the storm surge and water that kills, not the wind.  Most people would be better served if they evacuated away from low lying areas and the coast.  No need to go all the way to Atlanta.
My wife drove back to Miami this morning.  Our Condo on Biscayne Bay was in fine shape. 

Glad to hear.  You're in/near Jacksonville ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Running a chainsaw with all that loose garb?  Jeeze !

That's exactly what I thought.  She seemed competent enough with the saw, but but needs to cinch up her outfit so it doesn't get caught in the chain or by a branch that snaps back.
"It's good, though..."