Author Topic: Amazon looking for second but equal headquarters  (Read 3081 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Amazon looking for second but equal headquarters
« on: September 09, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazons-second-headquarters-expect-the-unexpected/

Amazon announced they are looking for a site to build a second headquarters with up to 50,000 jobs.  The Dallas or Austin areas of Texas and Toronto in Canada are considered Prime candidates.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Amazon looking for second but equal headquarters
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Minneapolis is courting them.  I don't want it here; I'm pretty sure it would mean I would have to pay sales tax on everything from Amazon instead of just a few items.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
Minneapolis is courting them.  I don't want it here; I'm pretty sure it would mean I would have to pay sales tax on everything from Amazon instead of just a few items.

Isn't Minneapolis pretty much TargetLand?  Amazon would seem to be competition for them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »
As much as Jeff Bezos is Mr SJW, in the end he's a "bottom line" guy. He'll end up going to a city and state that meet Amazon's criteria, are geographically well located (i.e., not close to the current HQ), and where they'll get good tax breaks and affordable housing for workers.  Not that housing won't shoot up within a few years wherever they locate.

I think it's funny that California in general, and San Francisco in particular, are courting them. I'm sure Amazon wants to chose the most business unfriendly, high tax climate that they can.  ;/  While they might look for a somewhat liberal city (e.g., Austin) I'm betting they won't go for a commie state.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:08:36 PM »
Scuttlebutt in these parts is that Texas is all but offering to name them the Official State Business to get the HQ here. Lot's of rampant speculation feeding that, though, although Texas has made no bones about the fact that they are aggressively pursuing corporations relocating from business-unfriendly areas.

We already pay sales tax on Amazon orders so it's not an issue.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 09:21:35 PM »
I heard Midwest is where they are looking. I figure twin cities, Kansas city or Milwaukee.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »
A LOT of people in the Austin area don't want 50,000 Amazon employees and their families quickly moving here and clogging up the roads, overfilling the schools, and using up the water.

(There's some doubt that any substantial percentage of the alleged 50,000 new jobs will be local hires.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 05:33:08 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 06:20:01 PM »
Somewhere east coast-ish would make sense logistically.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 06:29:00 PM »
I heard Midwest is where they are looking. I figure twin cities, Kansas city or Milwaukee.

Omaha would be interesting. Buffett power I guess, for being in the middle of nowhere the Omaha/Lincoln area does business.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 06:49:33 PM »
A LOT of people in the Austin area don't want 50,000 Amazon employees and their families quickly moving here and clogging up the roads, overfilling the schools, and using up the water.

(There's some doubt that any substantial percentage of the alleged 50,000 new jobs will be local hires.)

Austin's roads are already clogged.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »
Chicago has been spreading it's legs for this business with promises of tax breaks and like.   I would be surprised if Amazon picked Chicago, but I was surprised when Boeing moved their HQ here.

(And in regards to the "Separate but Equal", I worked for a company that had three HQ's, because when the bought/merged with other companies, they kept the HQ's but made each "specialize".  Logistics was in Cincinnati, HR and IT was in Atlanta, Accounting, the President and Chairman were in Chicago.  It was fustercluck...)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »
Rumor has it Charlotte, NC is aggressively pursuing Amazon.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 06:43:04 AM »
Columbus is offering big tax incentives, a pair of international airports, and an Ohio State campus full of college students to recruit.  Already have an Amazon distribution location about 5 miles from here.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
Most anywhere in central Texas you are a couple hours drive to a major college campus.  I guess it depends on if you are trying to hire college graduates or college students.  College graduates are generally more willing to move if needed.  I would think being able to recruit good hourly help locally would be more of an advantage.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 09:32:40 AM »

And that's during light traffic periods.

Brad
-HankB

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »
And that's during light traffic periods.

Brad

I drove through Austin once at peak traffic hours. Never again. San Antonio isn't all that great, but it's a lot better than Austin or Houston.

Most anywhere in central Texas you are a couple hours drive to a major college campus.  I guess it depends on if you are trying to hire college graduates or college students.  College graduates are generally more willing to move if needed.  I would think being able to recruit good hourly help locally would be more of an advantage.

There are a few distribution centers in central Texas as well.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »
Rumor has it Charlotte, NC is aggressively pursuing Amazon.

please no
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
That's because for decades the Austin Sh1ty Clowncil has been actively hostile towards motorists, and simply DOES NOT WANT a better road system. Even their road "improvement" projects are often foolish if not downright asinine.

Calling them "Idiots" is SUCH a masterpiece of understatement . . .   :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »
Amazon is run by leftists and tree-huggers.  They want public transport, socialized everything, and 24 hour access to the latest restaurant or bar fad.  Odds are strong that Amazon won't settle in a Red state or in fly-over territory.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
Amazon is run by leftists and tree-huggers.  They want public transport, socialized everything, and 24 hour access to the latest restaurant or bar fad.  Odds are strong that Amazon won't settle in a Red state or in fly-over territory.

Then again, if they settle in a red state, they could shift it into purple territory over time.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 09:12:19 PM »
Then again, if they settle in a red state, they could shift it into purple territory over time.

Maybe.  How many people do they plan to hire? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 09:39:11 PM »
I have a spare bedroom...
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:03 AM »
Maybe.  How many people do they plan to hire?  

About 50k initially.  Any shift in a blue direction would be small at first, but certainly add pressure to the generally leftward tilt (that most states are experiencing).
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
About 50k initially.  Any shift in a blue direction would be small at first, but certainly add pressure to the generally leftward tilt (that most states are experiencing).
To say nothing of the leftist influence a large company can have simply by intimating that they will choose or not choose a location on the basis of their position on particular legislation.