Author Topic: Amazon looking for second but equal headquarters  (Read 3086 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Amazon looking for second but equal headquarters
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 08:45:49 AM »
"About 50k initially."

That's a bit deceptive, actually.

Amazon won't look at hiring 50,000 people for the new HQ on Tuesday and have them all show up at work on Wednesday.

Amazon has said that it will take several years at least for them to ramp up to that number at their new facility.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 10:42:45 AM »
Still, that seems like a huge amount for a HQ complex.  That is a decent size city in many states.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
"About 50k initially."

That's a bit deceptive, actually.

Amazon won't look at hiring 50,000 people for the new HQ on Tuesday and have them all show up at work on Wednesday.

Amazon has said that it will take several years at least for them to ramp up to that number at their new facility.

You're right in that regard, Mike.  I should have been clearer in my explanation.  But when they do eventually hit their initial planned level of employment, it will definitely sway the political demographic wherever the HQ is built.  If they add to it over the years (and they will, as HQ facilities always bloatify), I suspect the leftward tilt in the chosen state will only increase.

Bloatify = made up word
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 08:57:54 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 07:08:00 AM »
You're right in that regard, Mike.  I should have been clearer in my explanation.  But when they do eventually hit their initial planned level of employment, it will definitely sway the political demographic wherever the HQ is built.  If they add to it over the years (and they will, as HQ facilities always bloatify), I suspect the leftward tilt in the chosen state will only increase.

Bloatify = made up word

So, the assumption you're making is that, in order to work for Amazon, you must be hard left.

OK.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
So, the assumption you're making is that, in order to work for Amazon, you must be hard left.

OK.

Not so much, rather that many of the folks that work for Amazon are already of that political persuasion.  And their hiring process may tend to select for folks that are left of center.  I've been through hiring processes with other companies where the interview process skews that direction.

eta:  I've known several people from the company I am currently working for that have moved to Amazon.  Many were left-of-center politically.  I wonder if there is some kind of attraction that Amazon holds for people of that political bent.
Interestingly enough, most folks that I know that have gone to work for Amazon have lasted only two years or so before moving on again.  They're supposed to be pretty hard on their employees.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 09:37:51 AM »
If they move to DC or Maryland, what difference would it make, really, because those two places are irretrievably havens for liberal bullshit.

Unfortunately, Northern Virginia is experiencing an infestation of liberal bullshit that is tipping the entire state more and more liberal. Their bullshit gave us 4 years of progressive communism in action under our previous governor, and it's not much better with the newly installed tool.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
Living in the Seattle area, I know many people who work at Amazon.  A former classmate of mine works in the Legal Division doing intellectual property matters.  She is 56 years old, and she confirms that she is very unusual being her age and still working at Amazon; age discrimination if you are over 40 years old, is rampant there.  She thinks she is still there only because she is a lawyer and has intimated filing a discrimination action if she is forced out.  She says that the type of work she is doing can be done by a lawyer with only a few years of experience at half of her salary and her department lead has pointed this out to her many times.

There can be exceptions in the business and support services areas, but a coder/programmer over 40 years old is rare.  There is a Microsoft-Google-Amazon cycle that the programmers do in Seattle: work for a couple of years at either of the three and then move on to one of the other companies.  This is especially true now that the days of getting stock or stock options after a certain number of years are long gone.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:04:48 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.