Author Topic: Quitting smoking: H-hour +36  (Read 4837 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Quitting smoking: H-hour +36
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
What are the Blood Mines of Boulder? 

Boulder, CO?

Blood Mines of Boulder

Yep, Boulder, CO

Made fake blood from rocks, water and air.  Turns out you CAN get blood from stone, with some sugar and lots of little biological helpers.  Never made it past phase II trials though. =(

Stretching it a bit, it sounds like police work?

Not really, although the police did benefit from the companies efforts.  Boulder County Sheriff now reside in the building the company built as the the first manuf. site.  I've contemplated dropping by to see if they do tours of the facility.

But that might be kinda awkward...

Actually, it's surprising how much this little blog-thread is helping

Post away if it helps.  =)

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »
Just keep reminding yourself like my old friend did when he started to think about having a smoke.   What they heck?  Why would I want a smoke?  I'm a non smoker.

You will be so much better off without smoking.  After awhile you won't even think about it anymore.  In a couple weeks, go smell your clothes that you haven't washed since you quit that are hanging around.  If you have some that you are aware of, go put them together somewhere in a closet.  When you smell that, understand that's how you smelled around people who don't smoke.

Onward on the mission.  PS:  my son's ex father in law is in stage 4 lung cancer.  Smoker.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 04:35:46 AM »
Back when I was on active duty I smoked around a pack and a half a day along with dipping about a can of day.  Eventually I "quit" smoking and just dipped.  Dipped because it was easier to dip indoors than smoke most of the time.  Eventually a girlfriend told me to quit dipping or she would leave.  I quit but then started back to smoking.

Eventually I quit smoking, with the exception of the occasional cigar.  Was that way for I don't know for how long until this past weekend.  Had a few things happen that just stressed me out and the fact that cigarettes are only $1.50 or so a pack, I've started back up again.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 05:35:07 AM »
^"Had a few things happen that just stressed me out and the fact that cigarettes are only $1.50 or so a pack, I've started back up again."

Well *expletive deleted*ck that *expletive deleted*it.  Dayam.  Don't know what to tell you except stop now.  Hope I don't have that happen.

Just collected some more smoking stuff.  A dozen BIC lighters, probably more scattered around elsewhere.  A "spark suppressor," a plastic dish I held under my chin when drawing on a butt to prevent sparks from burning holes in my clothes.  Three more ashtrays and a bunch of snuffers.  These are small ceramic cylinders with holes into which you put the burning cig to put it out.  Kind of look like porcelain standoff insulators.  Got one molded into a skull shape, too.  Standoff insulators were common in the old days when electricity was real electricity, not just 5 measly piddly little volts.

Next apartment neighbor smokes, now I'm smelling that.

Discovered another "trigger" link-up.  Hung up the phone after a long conversation, started to look for a pack.  Jeeze, does that ever stop?  I'm glad I started treating that like a game, anticipating such moments, but missed predicting that one.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:58:19 AM by 230RN »

230RN

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »
Not a bump.  Just a report.  Tonight at 7:30 will be exactly two weeks without a cigarette.  Even had a great steak dinner with my two sons last Sunday without a trace of craving or desire for a cigarette, but I'm still finding activities where I think I want one.  I guess it will take a while for me to burn up all of those little kinds of incidents.

I think I'm a little more sensitized to allergens now.  Definitely more sensitive to smells, too, which is kind of a pain in the patootie.

Weight 196.0.  Guess I can start working on that, now.

CELERY TIME !

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 07:09:01 AM »
You're doing well, Terry.  Keep it up, you won't regret it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »
Celery for the WIN !!!

Another good snack are Veggie Straws. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »
Celery for the WIN !!!

Another good snack are Veggie Straws.  
??? Could not find under that name.  Do you mean veggie snacks? (Thinly sliced veggies fried/baked to crispness?)

I avoided any kind of "substitutions" during the initial phase of quitting... like chewing gum, etc, at least after the first day.  I wanted to quit by G-d damn it, not play effing games with it.

Celery now for the weight gain, which has worked well in the past for minor weight spikes.  Until I discovered that filling the celery stalk hollow part with yummy peanut butter, while delicious, was counter-productive in terms of calorie reduction.  Carrots are out. As I mentioned, for some reason they give me the hiccups.  Go figure.

Oh, and as far as smelling it on my clothes goes, yeah.  Still seems to be percolating out from couch cushions and other high surface area items.  Stale smell, different from my neighbor's smoking odor.

And I sure wish I knew what g-dawful cooking oil one of them uses.  Smells like rancid yak fat.  Or turnip oil.  Or something unnatural. Or has gone through several preliminary stages of decomposition.

I have two small fans in the windows at opposite ends of the house, one gently blowing in, one gently exhausting, just to kind of coax the (former) cigarette smoke through and out.  Undecided whether to keep that operation going to purge the persistent house odors, or to shut them down to keep out the other now-noticeable external smells.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:43:54 PM by 230RN »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 07:15:36 PM »
Did a simple spreadsheet when I first quit:

Today is:   9/23/2017
"The first day I stopped
smoking was:"   11/1/2006
"Number of
non-smoking days:"   3,979
"Number of
non-smoking years:"   10.90

Birthday:   You don't
Current Age is:   Need to know
Formulae left out, but I'm sure you can figure them out.  Generally:  =today()-d2 , etc.

Nice to pull up when I need to pat myself on the back.  I keep it on dropbox, so I can grab it on my phone at any time.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »
Haven't bothered to figure out the days, but I quit drinking 09 Feb 1993.  At, coincidentally, just about 7:30 PM.

I wonder if AA has a (2017 - 1993 = ) 24 year chip.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:37:00 AM by 230RN »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 02:33:36 AM »
Today is:   9/23/2017
"The first day I stopped smoking was:"   3/15/2000
"Number of non-smoking days:"   6401
"Number of non-smoking years:"   17.5369863

Not including the occasional cigar or pipe.

I might also recommend getting the carpets and furniture cleaned to get rid of the stale smoke smell.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »
Today is:   9/23/2017
"The first day I stopped smoking was:"   3/15/2000
"Number of non-smoking days:"   6401
"Number of non-smoking years:"   17.5369863

Not including the occasional cigar or pipe.

I might also recommend getting the carpets and furniture cleaned to get rid of the stale smoke smell.

Nah.  Apartment.  I gave the floor a good vacuuming and just let things outgas naturally.  Might try Febreze if it's still sticking around.  Frankly, I don't notice it unless I come in the house from the outdoors.  And I don't have that many visitors anyhow.  Like most folks here, interactions occur mostly at their front doors.

Probably some function working there where my sensitivity goes up while the residual smells go down.

I sure notice it in the car, though, which is usually completely closed up for days at a time.

Gee, ya think maybe I ought to empty the ashtray, which I keep forgetting to do?  Duh.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:04:18 AM by 230RN »

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
GOod for you. I never smoked, but I dipped for years.

I don't recall exactly the date I quit, but I was self-righteously angry about a rise in the price of Skoal one day sometime in april perhaps....

So the first week of not doing it was solely out of spite.

It got tougher once the spite wore off.

I was a stress-dipper. so the urge comes back when i'm super busy at work

Keep at it!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

230RN

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:20 PM »
^ Just figured out another reason to stay quitted.

Figuring $50 a carton, 7 packs a week ( 1/day), that's 0.7 X 50 = $35 per week, is $1820 per year spendthrifty money.

Actually, somehow it looks better as $35 per week.

(€ 29.5278)

Yay!

darfin

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 04:16:15 AM »
I don't smocking 1 month and 23 days, it's not so long but I think I can stop it forever, I hope  =D

230RN

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2017, 04:24:00 AM »
Welcome aboard, darfin !  Where are you from?  Your local time tells me you're on the west coast.  Congratulations on making it to one month and 23 days !