Author Topic: Kenmore washer, hangs mid cycle  (Read 4528 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Kenmore washer, hangs mid cycle
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
I've never seen or heard of a transmission failure on that model. Won't say it's impossible but not very likely.

Running with Charby's line of thought...

The spin cycle initiates and the basket begins to turn but it never gets past a few rpm. The motor still seems to be spinning happily along at speed but I supposed what I'm hearing could be something else. Possibility?

I've directly observed it doing the above on both the Normal and Drain & Spin settings. I've tried no other cycles. I did run it through a self-test but it only initiated the spin as part of the test, it didn't go to full speed.

For reference, the transmission part number is W10473144. Sears Parts Direct lists W10771759 as a substitute.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:54:49 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »
Hmmmm... I've got a Kenmore washer that won't spin on Normal, but will on Delicate...
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »
Running with Charby's line of thought...

The spin cycle initiates and the basket begins to turn but it never gets past a few rpm. The motor still seems to be spinning happily along at speed but I supposed what I'm hearing could be something else. Possibility?

I've directly observed it doing the above on both the Normal and Drain & Spin settings. I've tried no other cycles. I did run it through a self-test but it only initiated the spin as part of the test, it didn't go to full speed.

For reference, the transmission part number is W10473144. Sears Parts Direct lists W10771759 as a substitute.

Brad

I wonder is the rubber motor coupling?  between the transmission and the drum is worn. This part is decide to break away to prevent transmission damage.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
I wonder is the rubber motor coupling?  between the transmission and the drum is worn. This part is decide to break away to prevent transmission damage.

I would think that would manifest issues in all basket movement modes. It seems to have no trouble at all agitating a full load, complete with water. Does it decouple in Spin or something?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »
Doing a little googling... I'm wondering if it might be the shift actuator in the transmission.

It might also be a worn splutch (yes, that's right splutch, apparently spring/clutch)...

I'm pulling that information from Repair Clinic, which is a fantastic page for diagnosing appliance issues and getting information on how to fix them.

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a11b6c25/Kenmore-Washing-Machine-Transmission-Brake-Clutch-Parts
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »
Doing a little googling... I'm wondering if it might be the shift actuator in the transmission.

It might also be a worn splutch (yes, that's right splutch, apparently spring/clutch)...

Are you talking about the main drive pulley assembly?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/W10006382/0026/110.html?modelNumber=11021252112&categoryName=Residential%20Washers&brandName=KENMORE

If so that should affect all modes being it's the main coupling between the motor and transmission. I can's see how it could affect only the spin cycle. Am I missing something?

Brad

-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »
I would think that would manifest issues in all basket movement modes. It seems to have no trouble at all agitating a full load, complete with water. Does it decouple in Spin or something?

Brad

maybe it grips at lower speeds, but slips when motor goes to spin speed.

I'm still not ruling out your drive motor is failing.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
You would hear the spluch as a plastic gear on plastic gear noise. I'm leaning strange lid lock problem or control. Wish I was in front of it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 10:45:59 PM »
You would hear the spluch as a plastic gear on plastic gear noise. I'm leaning strange lid lock problem or control. Wish I was in front of it.

I'll meter out the lid lock and see if it reads correctly. If it checks out then the only other two possibilities range from expensive to expensive-er. In that case I'll probably relegate it to recycling and get another one. Sears has one on clearance with the features I want that's $270 off, putting it square in the middle of the price range I had in mind for a replacment.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »
Switches and sensors metered out fine. Threw in the towel and picked up a new Whirlpool on sale at Lowes. Running a test load now.

Really wanted to stay with an actual agitator but everything with a tower agitator in my price range seems to share the spin failure issue. I'm guessing they're all probably from the same mfg and share similar or identical components but are just branded differently. Most have at least a full third of the reviews at 2 stars or lower (out of five). Of those, spin fails make up at least half of the detailed complaints. The Whirlpool I got has the new-fangled low profile agitator but 3 star and lower ratings make up less than 20% of the total ratings across three retailers and almost 20,000 total reviews. I can live with that.

I was wondering how this unit would function in the Deep Water Wash setting. GF's Samsung thinks Deep Water Wash means adding just enough water to go from damp to slightly more damp. I've heard similar anecdotal evidence so was a little leery of what I might experience. I just took a peek and it seems Deep Water Wash is exactly that. Bonus find.

Brad
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 06:38:09 PM »
Ditto on the Samsung.  It's to the point where I usually put in a bit larger load and use the "Bedding" setting.  Uses more water, longer cycle... it's a reasonable workaround.  But, I really doubt I'll buy another Samsung when this one fails.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »
To add...

After trying a few things the Bulky/Bedding cycle is where it's at. Washed a load of socks and underwear using the Bulky cycle. Full sumbersion with three inches of water above the garments. Even better than Deep Water Wash. That, the Heavy Soil setting, plus Second Rinse got everything nice and clean with no soapy residue. Spin cycle works a treat. Clothes came out little more than heavily damp. A bit quieter than the old washer, too. It'll do just fine.

For the record it's a Whirlpool top loader, model WTW5000DW1. Currently on sale at Lowes for $469. A little more than the one I was eyeballing at Sears but a much, much better track record insofar as reviews are concerned.

*edit to add*
Okay, I'm sold. Just did a load of four oversized towels plus some hand towels and washcloths. Came out perfect. The old machine would do two of the same towels at a time. Three in a pinch but with some shoving, stuffing, and ho-hum results. Same for a full load of king sized sheets with four pillowcases, which the new machine digested with room to spare. I had to split the load in the old machine.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:10:12 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB