Author Topic: The Orville on Fox  (Read 21789 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: The Orville on Fox
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
Oh, good.  I'm busy Thursday nights.  >:D :rolleyes:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2017, 07:41:01 AM »
"USS"

Union Space Ship
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »
"As for this episode - with the advanced aliens stocking a zoo - it was pretty much a ripoff of a 1966 ST:TOS episode ("The Menagerie") which someone obviously went through at the last minute and said "Hey, we need to make some changes so we don't get sued for copyright violations!""

Yeah.... no.

The Menagerie wasn't about aliens stockpiling a zoo. Not even close. Very UNrelated, except for the fact that both a male and female ended up on Talos. The aliens in that episode were benevolent. They didn't view Pike or Vina as inferior in the way that the aliens did in the episode on The Orville.

This episode is FAR more closely related to The Twilight Zone's "People are alike all over," in which Roddy McDowell's astronaut character finds himself in a Martian zoo.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:28:28 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
"As for this episode - with the advanced aliens stocking a zoo - it was pretty much a ripoff of a 1966 ST:TOS episode ("The Menagerie") which someone obviously went through at the last minute and said "Hey, we need to make some changes so we don't get sued for copyright violations!""

Yeah.... no.

The Menagerie wasn't about aliens stockpiling a zoo. Not even close. Very UNrelated, except for the fact that both a male and female ended up on Talos. The aliens in that episode were benevolent. They didn't view Pike or Vina as inferior in the way that the aliens did in the episode on The Orville.

This episode is FAR more closely related to The Twilight Zone's "People are alike all over," in which Roddy McDowell's astronaut character finds himself in a Martian zoo.

Good point, although I'm not sure I  agree the Talosians were benevolent in the whole.  They certainly were better than the aliens in the ORVILLE episode, but caging Christopher Pike and making him believe he was in hell was a bit on the mean side.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2017, 12:34:38 PM »
And yet, when the Talosians found out that Pike was crippled and essentially active brain trapped in a vegetative body, they freely offered to allow him to live out his life on their planet in a engineered existence that would allow him to completely forget that only his brain worked.

Even after he thwarted their plans to repopulate the planet.

I'd say that that is pretty benevolent.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
And yet, when the Talosians found out that Pike was crippled and essentially active brain trapped in a vegetative body, they freely offered to allow him to live out his life on their planet in a engineered existence that would allow him to completely forget that only his brain worked.

[tinfoil]
That's what they want you to believe...
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »
[tinfoil]
That's what they want you to believe...
 [tinfoil]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2017, 07:41:47 PM »

I didn't say they were Klingons... [tinfoil]..
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
I just read the description for the next episode... It keys off what Bortus said in the last scene of last week's episode. It's so *expletive deleted*ing new wave touchy feely "what is gender anyway" bullshit that I think this episode may make me cancel the series if it is anything like the preachy anti-everything but lefthink screed I suspect it's going to be.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2017, 11:35:30 AM »
Me, previously:

If it pops up again, I'll watch it just to see if the writer got his act together, but for now, it looked as if it were badly cobbled together and nobody could figure out what they really wanted to do.

Mike Irwin, previously:

It's [description of next episode] so *expletive deleted*ing new wave touchy feely "what is gender anyway" bullshit that I think this episode may make me cancel the series if it is anything like the preachy anti-everything but lefthink screed I suspect it's going to be.

Me, presently:

Aha.  That would explain a lot.  The Propaganda Machine grinds on.
[barf]

Terry
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:01:17 PM by 230RN »

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »

Yeah.... no.

This episode was far closer to the TOS pilot, the Cage, than to the menagerie. If you watch the Cage, you'll see it's a pretty direct homage.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

grampster

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
When they run so many ads for a new show, almost constantly, I always figure it's not going over too well.  Much like that stupid, inane, embarrassingly unfunny woman...what'hername's so called comedy show on one of the cable channels.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 10:32:14 PM »
Me ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2017, 11:16:28 PM »
Just as, or more terrible than season 1. Yet somehow very popular with the average American viewer. Scary.

Idiocracy...
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grampster

• friend
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »
No, poor Amy, not you.  You are funny rarely, but you are sometimes.  The other no talent is not funny, ever.  She is embarrassingly so not funny.  I can't even remember her name, though the cable network that advertises her show ever 15 minutes says she's a riot and so good she's up for an Emmy.  That figures.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2017, 04:46:08 PM »
No, poor Amy, not you.  You are funny rarely, but you are sometimes.  The other no talent is not funny, ever.  She is embarrassingly so not funny.  I can't even remember her name, though the cable network that advertises her show ever 15 minutes says she's a riot and so good she's up for an Emmy.  That figures.

Sarah Silverman?  Kathy Griffin?  Judy Tenuta?  (there are so many)  I thought you were talking about Scout/Amy.
"It's good, though..."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2017, 07:23:52 AM »
It did remind me a little of the control room crew on sub during the midwatch. I would imagine that in the new kinder and gentler, mixed gender environment of submarines the tone and language is likely a bit more PC today.

There's a bunch of women in the FB Navy Nukes group.

They're generally worse than the guys are.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2017, 10:41:47 PM »
So, I watched the latest episode

The captain and most of the crew were of the opinion that allowing gender reassignment of a child was wrong, that her gender was female, and that she should be allowed to be the gender she was born as, regardless of what the parents or alien society thought. They then went before an alien court (aliens whose custom it was to reassign children) to argue that point in front of a judge.

They argued that ones gender wasn't a defect to be "corrected"

Yeah. Total leftist SJWs lol

Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: The Orville on Fox
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2017, 11:31:36 PM »
So, I watched the latest episode

The captain and most of the crew were of the opinion that allowing gender reassignment of a child was wrong, that her gender was female, and that she should be allowed to be the gender she was born as, regardless of what the parents or alien society thought. They then went before an alien court (aliens whose custom it was to reassign children) to argue that point in front of a judge.

They argued that ones gender wasn't a defect to be "corrected"

Yeah. Total leftist SJWs lol
Err... Your summation doesn't necessarily mean it isn't SJW.

They are convinced that if you think you are a female,  even if you really are a male,  you were "born as" a female.  

All that matters is what you want.  Your scenario still supports that belief. In fact,  it's very Star Trek-esque to flip it:

But what if she IS biologicallly female and others don't want her to be?  IT'S JUST THE SAME AS MAKING SOMEONE WHO FEELS LIKE A GIRL FOLLOW HIS OWN BIOLOGY!!!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
Err... Your summation doesn't necessarily mean it isn't SJW.

They are convinced that if you think you are a female,  even if you really are a male,  you were "born as" a female.  

All that matters is what you want.  Your scenario still supports that belief. In fact,  it's very Star Trek-esque to flip it:

But what if she IS biologicallly female and others don't want her to be?  IT'S JUST THE SAME AS MAKING SOMEONE WHO FEELS LIKE A GIRL FOLLOW HIS OWN BIOLOGY!!!

Did you watch it? Are you nuts? The kid was biologically female and her parents wanted to alter her surgically

That insinuation you just jumped to is completely unsupported

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2017, 08:21:12 AM »
Did you watch it? Are you nuts? The kid was biologically female and her parents wanted to alter her surgically

That insinuation you just jumped to is completely unsupported

I didn't jump to an insinuation, I was asking a question. I pointed out that "Star Trek" has pulled that switcheroo before. I recall the STTNG episode where an alien was heterosexual on a homosexual planet and received "Behavior modification" to turn her homosexual.

My response was that being opposed to changing some specific person's biology doesn't mean that they are opposed to changing any person's biology. Your summation didn't exclude that possibility.

Further, you haven't really excluded it yet. Were they opposed to changing her biology because that's wrong per se or were they opposed to changing her biology because she didn't want it?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2017, 02:06:28 PM »
I didn't jump to an insinuation, I was asking a question. I pointed out that "Star Trek" has pulled that switcheroo before. I recall the STTNG episode where an alien was heterosexual on a homosexual planet and received "Behavior modification" to turn her homosexual.

My response was that being opposed to changing some specific person's biology doesn't mean that they are opposed to changing any person's biology. Your summation didn't exclude that possibility.

Further, you haven't really excluded it yet. Were they opposed to changing her biology because that's wrong per se or were they opposed to changing her biology because she didn't want it?

I'm sorry, I totally misread your post!

The jist I got from it was that they were opposed to parents changing her biology. So, while it could certainly be the second, I felt a parallel with all the SJWs foisting genderbending on children. The crewmember in the courtroom argued that just because their culture said that changing the baby's gender was ok, and that gender was (and I quote) a "defect to be corrected" didn't make it right. (This particular race was all male, reproduced via some sort of single gender egg laying)

They didn't come out and say that one shouldn't be allowed to change gender, but the insinuation that parents shouldn't force (or pressure) their children was strong

In fact I can't recall if they even commented on the first, and the show is decent but not good enough for me to watch a second time

I'm still on the fence. I like it. If they don't get any more than that episode on the "social commentary" scale I'll keep watching.

I still think it's better than discovery although discovery wasn't as bad as I expected
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
I forgot to mention is that the one thing I like about the Orville is that not all races are bipedal analogs of humans.

Larry the yellow blob who has the hots for the Dr. is a refreshing change. Just wish we'd see more of him and his voice (Norm McDonald, I think).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
I thought Norm MacDonald was one of the Deplorables that got pushed out of the business.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2017, 04:21:43 PM »

Hmmm...I recall that the aliens did not support gender identity at all and the the person Riker fell for did identify as female until "fixed in the head". I will admit its been awhile since I've watched that episode.

They didn't come out and say that one shouldn't be allowed to change gender, but the insinuation that parents shouldn't force (or pressure) their children was strong.

This IMAO is a reasonable stance to take.

Good Science Fiction can make one think about one's views, and The Orville has the potential to be that kind of Science Fiction.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.