Author Topic: The Orville on Fox  (Read 21662 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The Orville on Fox
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »
Anyone watch it?

I thought it was amusing, and has potential.

There were times when I thought I was watching Star Trek - The Next Next Next Next Next Generational Iteration, but the difference was it was supposed to be campy and funny.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: The Orville on Fox
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
My wife and I are kind of on the fence, but we will give it a few more episodes to see how it goes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
My wife watched it.  I saw a little of it; thought it was Galaxy Quest at first.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »
My wife and I are kind of on the fence, but we will give it a few more episodes to see how it goes.

That is exactly how the wife and I feel about it. I am more of the climbing off the fence and shelving it more than she is. We will watch a few more before we place it on the shelf with other un-memorable shows. For me it tried to rely too much on sophomoric humor, but isn't that is what it is supposed to be about? IMO there is a time for irreverence and a time for professionalism, even in a fictional show that is supposed to have a quasi-military format. Maybe I am expecting too much, in fact I am sure I am expecting too much. :(

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
My wife watched it.  I saw a little of it; thought it was Galaxy Quest at first.

YES! I meant to mention that it also had a very strong Galaxy Quest flavor to it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
It was a bit too on the nose for me.  I'll give it another episode or two, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it past that.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
Seth MacFarlane isn't as hard to watch as Seth Meyers. But he's uncomfortably close.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »
Eh. SciFi on Fox. It’ll be gone in one season anyway even if turns out to be good.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »
Eh. SciFi on Fox. It’ll be gone in one season anyway even especially if turns out to be good.

FTFY.

However, as fistful noted, with it starring Seth MacFarlane, the likelihood isn't all that high, anyway.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »
I expected more.  I know it's supposed to be a cross between Star Trek and Galaxy Quest but they could have put a little more effort into it.  I think that would be great if they could pull it off but Seth is no Tim Allen or Bill Shatner.  Maybe if they cut the commercial time back they would have enough time to write a decent script.  I'll set it up on the DVR but I'm not going to sit around waiting for it to come on tv.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »
I still hear Brian
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 06:01:51 PM »
"It's good, though..."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 06:14:49 PM »
"Family Guy" does "Star Wars" on their own show instead of an episode.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 06:25:34 PM »
I missed the first go. They are airing episode 1 again Tuesday so I'll catch it then.
I'd really like to see it be a good Sci-Fi show but my cynical prediction is that it will be a total rotter and Fox, in a braindead attempt to make up for killing Firefly will keep it going for 10 seasons.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JN01

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
I was hoping for a Galaxy Quest quality parody, but I think The Orville fell short.  Most of the funny bits were seen in the promo ads.  At other times, it seemed as if they wanted it to be a serious drama, at which it also fell short.
I'll probably watch another episode or two, but the pilot wasn't very encouraging.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »
"Most of the funny bits were seen in the promo ads."

Welcome to 99% of all TV shows and movies being made today.

It's going to be on again Tuesday, so I'm going to watch it again. See if it still resonates with me.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
I was hoping for something along the line of Space Balls.  We watched the first show and I sort of thought it switched back and forth between a not very good serious space opera and a not very good comedy.  I found I was forcing myself to laugh.  That's an odd sensation.  I'm gonna watch a couple more episodes and see what happens.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 09:04:34 AM »
Let's hope it's at least as good as this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTo3BLuIQ-4
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
Face it, though...

The Orville is, in comparison to The Last Man on Earth, the funniest show to ever air.

I swear to god I have no idea who LMOE has stayed on the air, has been nominated for Emmys, or has actually won Emmys...

Given the choice between being forced to watch LMOE back to back to back, or getting a flaming gasoline enema, I'd take the flaming gasoline enema because I KNOW that would be over relatively quickly.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
I was hoping for something along the line of Space Balls.  We watched the first show and I sort of thought it switched back and forth between a not very good serious space opera and a not very good comedy.  I found I was forcing myself to laugh.  That's an odd sensation.  I'm gonna watch a couple more episodes and see what happens.
Isn't that sort of like just about any show Seth MacFarlane has actually appeared in that isn't a cartoon?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
I swear to god I have no idea who LMOE has stayed on the air, has been nominated for Emmys, or has actually won Emmys...

Same. Great premise that they totally screwed up. I gave up on it early in season 1. A couple of months ago, while browsing Hulu, I saw it listed there with multiple seasons and thought, "How did this not get canceled?" Thinking maybe it got better, I made the mistake of trying to watch later seasons. I tried three random episodes, and hit FF through all of them.

Just as, or more terrible than season 1. Yet somehow very popular with the average American viewer. Scary.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
it switched back and forth between a not very good serious space opera and a not very good comedy. 

Even if it was good at both elements, the juxtaposition of the two made the show feel awkward.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
Same. Great premise that they totally screwed up. I gave up on it early in season 1. A couple of months ago, while browsing Hulu, I saw it listed there with multiple seasons and thought, "How did this not get canceled?" Thinking maybe it got better, I made the mistake of trying to watch later seasons. I tried three random episodes, and hit FF through all of them.

Just as, or more terrible than season 1. Yet somehow very popular with the average American viewer. Scary.

I gave up on it just before the final credits rolled in the first episode. I deleted the record schedule from my DVR.

It is the only show I have ever given 0 out of 10 stars it sucked that badly.

I've tried a couple of times to reconnect with it, but if anything it's even worse.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 10:07:58 AM »
Even if it was good at both elements, the juxtaposition of the two made the show feel awkward.

Chris

I think awkward is a good description. I felt that, too, but I just couldn't put a word to it.

Hopefully that will smooth out in the next couple of episodes. If it doesn't, though, it will fail quickly.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »
Face it, though...

The Orville is, in comparison to The Last Man on Earth, the funniest show to ever air.

Given the choice between being forced to watch LMOE back to back to back, or getting a flaming gasoline enema, I'd take the flaming gasoline enema because I KNOW that would be over relatively quickly.

Never heard of it.  Looked it up on Wki; it seems to be a ripoff of Earth Abides.
"It's good, though..."