Author Topic: The Orville on Fox  (Read 21660 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: The Orville on Fox
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
Never heard of it.  Looked it up on Wki; it seems to be a ripoff of Earth Abides.

Not really.  Unless you consider any apocalyptic story a ripoff of Earth Abides.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 10:39:48 AM »
Never heard of it.  Looked it up on Wki; it seems to be a ripoff of Earth Abides.

Please don't ever again mention that show and "Earth Abides" in the same sentence.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
Never heard or seen either of them...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
Please don't ever again mention that show and "Earth Abides" in the same sentence.

Does it star Jeff Bridges?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
Never heard or seen either of them...

The book is on the APS "must read" list. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
Never even heard of Earth Abides.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:17 PM »
Reminds me a bit of The Jetsons...with ripoff Star Trek music,  mixed in with a ghost of Galaxy Quest. 
I was not overwhelmed.   Fox will kill it and put us out of our misery.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 10:27:58 PM »
I'll keep the DVR going on it for now to see how it evolves.
I found it mildly entertaining but the characters are too forced.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »
Awkward I can handle in a new show.  Have you ever gone back to watch the first few episodes of Star Trek: TNG?  Very awkward and stiff, but at least they were trying to be serious. 

Are the special effects cheaper these days?  I remember hearing about the costs in the 90's. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:07 PM »
Awkward I can handle in a new show.  Have you ever gone back to watch the first few episodes of Star Trek: TNG?  Very awkward and stiff, but at least they were trying to be serious. 

Are the special effects cheaper these days?  I remember hearing about the costs in the 90's. 

Well, it IS supposed to be a comedy.

Watched it on Hulu yesterday.  Went in not expecting much but did enjoy it for the most part.  I did find the comedic banter while on duty a bit much, but who can say what social interaction will be like 400 years from now?  If the comedy can be notched down a bit (say to the level exhibited in Firefly) it could be a good series.

The bit with the dog when Dr. Bashir's father the scientist was on screen was a hoot.

True about first episodes and even first seasons being awkward is true.  The early seasons of most ST series are rather painful to watch now.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
Watched it on Hulu yesterday.  Went in not expecting much but did enjoy it for the most part.  I did find the comedic banter while on duty a bit much, but who can say what social interaction will be like 400 years from now?  If the comedy can be notched down a bit (say to the level exhibited in Firefly) it could be a good series.

It did remind me a little of the control room crew on sub during the midwatch. I would imagine that in the new kinder and gentler, mixed gender environment of submarines the tone and language is likely a bit more PC today.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 06:30:04 PM »
It did remind me a little of the control room crew on sub during the midwatch. I would imagine that in the new kinder and gentler, mixed gender environment of submarines the tone and language is likely a bit more PC today.

Maybe, maybe not.  When I worked in mixed gender teams in the 90s some of the female staff could make the males on the crew blush.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 07:53:53 AM »
Wow. They REALLY dialed the humor down in episode 2.

There were some humorous bits, but overall it was far more serious than the first episode.

And, I think it make it a bit better overall.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »
Miserable, worthless *expletive deleted*ing *expletive deleted*it @%$#%@!! &^$^$@@**@! football *expletive deleted*ing game ran 45 *expletive deleted*ing minutes long and I only got 15 minutes of the episode on my DVR.
*expletive deleted*ck a bunch of football.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
Miserable, worthless *expletive deleted*ing *expletive deleted*it @%$#%@!! &^$^$@@**@! football *expletive deleted*ing game ran 45 *expletive deleted*ing minutes long and I only got 15 minutes of the episode on my DVR.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I just had the exact same conversation with a friend via e-mail!

I always figure that Fox sports is going to run anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes long on their sports programming. And, the Dallas-Denver game still wasn't over when NFL Sports HAD to cut away due to NFL rules (something about the afternoon games interfering with the Sunday evening game being a no-no.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »
Oh, you may be able to watch episode 2 through On Demand.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »
FWIW, I watched Ep1 on the Fox website.  Ep2 is probably available there as well.

Chris

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
You can blame the lightning display for the game running long, I guess.  (We had a couple of almost-no-delay-between flash and crack strokes over here, too.)

The Orville episode where the little chick takes over command  :facepalm: suddenly appeared on an over-the-air Fox channel last night, but wasn't on their schedule.

It didn't take long for me to figure out it was supposed to be a comedy... of some kind.  It seemed to be a little chopped-up, continuity wise, as well, although the over-the-air station might have been re-feeding it from their cable channel or something, which caused the continuity problem.

I started to realize it was a conglomeration of all the "bits" from "Star Trek Et Cetera" and the "Star Wars Et Cetera" franchises... even including a takeoff on Chewbaca.  I thought the scene where she suddenly decides to disobey orders and rescue the captain and his exec and everybody whoops and cheers was ridiculously trite  (Oh, Yaayyyyy!)... but was supposed to be.

Next thing you know, after penetrating the outer defenses of the antagonist species by a new cloaking and disguising device, she and that android are in the zoo, talking face to face with the captain and his ex-wife.*

Next thing you know after that, a deal is struck** and the captain and his ex-wife/exec are rescued, as in "Poof!  You're rescued."

I felt as if a couple of panels had fallen off the story board and none of the writers noticed.

If it pops up again, I'll watch it just to see if the writer got his act together, but for now, it looked as if it were badly cobbled together and nobody could figure out what they really wanted to do.

Hey, I recognize parody.  I wonder how many recognize lousy parody.

Terry

* And as with just about every episode of Star Whatevers, I hated the notion that the top echelon of officers went a-derring-do and a-transporting around into unknown situations, but, you know, there's the story, and what can you say?  Somehow, it's like expecting Admiral Halsey (the real one, not the fake one in Orville) to hop into a PT Boat and zoom around, actually pulling triggers, shooting at enemy shipping.  I can suspend reality only so much.

** I don't want to spoil the inane "hook" at the end.  You'll just have to sit on the edge of your chair biting your nails and wringing your hands until then.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:21:22 PM by 230RN »

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »
Yea,   second episode was better.  I avoided football fumbles by taping the 7 to 9PM  time.   Then just played back the show.
Watched Fox's  Next Revolution live....a pretty decent show.
But Orville was pretty good.   Sometimes laying an egg is a good thing. [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel . . . I'm pretty sure I'll agree with you.

As for this episode - with the advanced aliens stocking a zoo - it was pretty much a ripoff of a 1966 ST:TOS episode ("The Menagerie") which someone obviously went through at the last minute and said "Hey, we need to make some changes so we don't get sued for copyright violations!"

I was not impressed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
Well, I sorta get a "STARTREKY"  feel from the whole Orville thing so I wouldn't be too surprised to see future episodes "ripping off " more  Star Trek memes.   They changed enough.  Plus the sfx were better.  I don't think I'll be taking The Orville too seriously even if I do watch it. [popcorn]

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
"I wonder how many recognize lousy parody."

I wonder how many people actually sit down with a new TV show, recognize that yeah, it's something of a hash of a rehash (like just about everything else is, these days), and then get on with watching it on its own terms?

:rofl:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
The Dallas game went long.  So we only got about 20 minutes of The Orville.  Sort of a waste of 20 minutes, frankly.  I like The Last Ship, so I switched it at 9PM and then caught the final episode of The Strain @ 10PM.  If they have a late running football game every Sunday, missing The Orville will be no great loss.  Too bad.  I had high hopes.  Oh...wait, maybe I should get high and it might be better. :P :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 02:22:46 PM »
"I wonder how many recognize lousy parody."

I wonder how many people actually sit down with a new TV show, recognize that yeah, it's something of a hash of a rehash (like just about everything else is, these days), and then get on with watching it on its own terms?

Well, as I also said,

"If it pops up again, I'll watch it just to see if the writer got his act together, but for now, it looked as if it were badly cobbled together but and nobody could figure out what they really wanted to do."

(Slight edit there.)

So right now, "its own terms" are pretty darned low.  Low enough that I would not deliberately seek out another episode.

Just as I would not deliberately seek out episodes of "The Howdy Doody Show."

Terry
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:39:45 PM by 230RN »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »
If they have a late running football game every Sunday, missing The Orville will be no great loss.  Too bad.  I had high hopes.

Well, you are in luck, no more getting cut short by Sunday football games. They are moving it into its programming niche, which is Thursday nights at 9/8C.

https://www.fox.com/the-orville/?cmpid=org=fbc::ag=360i::mc=cpc::src=bing::cmp=the-orville::add=the_orville

bob

eta: I wonder how long it will be before we see a rendezvous with the Wilbur on the show.  ;)  And another, why does the Planetary Union use USS to ID this space ship? Shouldn't it be something along the lines of P.U.S.S. ?   >:D