Author Topic: The Orville on Fox  (Read 21665 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The Orville on Fox
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »
I finally watched the whole third episode last night. I started watching it Saturday and fell asleep...

Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it was handled. It wasn't nearly the in-your-face preachy anti-Cis Normal Bash Fest I expected it to be.

The whole thing was handled with the right amount of humor and gravitas.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2017, 12:33:29 AM »
I forgot to mention is that the one thing I like about the Orville is that not all races are bipedal analogs of humans.

Larry the yellow blob who has the hots for the Dr. is a refreshing change. Just wish we'd see more of him and his voice (Norm McDonald, I think).

His "demonstration" of compatibility was funny as hell.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
His "demonstration" of compatibility was funny as hell.

I was taking a drink of juice when he did that.

Seren almost wore the juice.  :lol:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2017, 04:06:54 PM »
So as I have continued to watch the episodes, the show is growing on me.  I read that they have been renewed for a second season.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2017, 04:08:37 PM »
So as I have continued to watch the episodes, the show is growing on me.  I read that they have been renewed for a second season.

I like it. It’s funny, but it seems to have a reverence for other sci fi that I like

Me and the wifey catch it every week
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
I'm also in the camp of "it's growing on me" Kind of like a funny shaped, benign tumor.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
I'm also in the camp of "it's growing on me" Kind of like a funny shaped, benign tumor.
 =D

That's kinda where I am on it.

Some of the humor annoys the crap out of me, like I forget who is who of the helmsman and navigator, but the humor that annoys me is what the one guy did on the krill ship and what the other guy did to the statue. It's way too overboard and out of place for me for the situations they were supposed to be in. On the other hand, the banter on the ship and humor involving Isaac is growing on me a bit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »
Ditto on the "growing on me" camp.   Some of these episodes have been darn good.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
I like it. It’s funny, but it seems to have a reverence for other sci fi that I like

Me and the wifey catch it every week
Does the "reverence" mean they will only go for two seasons and quit?   =)

I have been recording the episodes, but haven't gotten around to watching them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
While it seems to be growing on some people my wife and I decided after the episode that it seems to be wilting on the vine for us.  =|

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2017, 07:45:44 AM »
While it seems to be growing on some people my wife and I decided after the episode that it seems to be wilting on the vine for us.  =|

bob

Wilting on the vine is what's happened for about 50% of my friends who are watching it, while the other 50% are liking it more and more.

I thought it was going to be a lot more slapstick than it was, especially after the first episode was so full of double entendres... the second and third episodes I was on the ropes whether I was going to stick with it or not, but then the fourth episode, the one where they found the enormous bioship? That one grabbed me BIG TIME.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
I thought it was going to be a lot more slapstick than it was, especially after the first episode was so full of double entendres... the second and third episodes I was on the ropes whether I was going to stick with it or not, but then the fourth episode, the one where they found the enormous bioship? That one grabbed me BIG TIME.

I liked that one too. I think their general problem is that they go too overboard on slapstick in the same episode where they also try to get way serious. If you want to get serious, then you need to be like Firefly and interject humor, but tone it down. Otherwise, hey, go full slapstick, but then don't interject overly serious subject matter.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
Was it just me, or was last week's "Blue Dude" episode REALLY freaking creepy?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2017, 11:15:34 AM »
Anyone else know who the famous actor was who portrayed the Blue Dude?  Coughroblowecough.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

erictank

• friends
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2017, 11:48:46 AM »
Anyone else know who the famous actor was who portrayed the Blue Dude?  Coughroblowecough.

Took me a couple of minutes to figure it out - I heard the voice and thought "I know that actor...", but I was working on something I couldn't just put down to pay more attention to the show right that second.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »
I knew instantly who it was. Very distinctive eyes and voice.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »
Was it just me, or was last week's "Blue Dude" episode REALLY freaking creepy?
:mad:

I missed that episode!!!   Anyone want to give me a quick run-down?  Please? :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
Blue dude that caused the break up of Ed's marriage comes aboard as an expert to solve a generations old interspecies battle over a planet.

Only this time, instead of Kelly ending up in bed with the Blue Dude, Ed and Kelly BOTH end up in bed with the Blue Dude.

Because Blue Dude is in heat and is emitting some sort of super strong sex phermone that makes anyone who touches him fall in love with him.

Overall, and because of a number of related plot lines, it freaking PEGGED the creepy meter at a level I've not seen in a long, long time.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »
I'm with Mike on the Blue Dude episode.  Creepy.  I'm sorta hooked on the dang show and I don't know why.  It's like playing golf...you get a couple really great shots mixed in with a lot of not so much, but you keep coming back.  The show has its moments.  A couple episodes back they were pounding the libtard/political correct movement pretty good.  I enjoyed that.
I really want my own personal Orville though.  Nice boat.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »
yeah the episode that inadvertently illustrated ALL the problems with direct democracy was pretty fun.

Last episode was funny, but definitely a bit creepy too.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2017, 06:37:18 PM »
yeah the episode that inadvertently illustrated ALL the problems with direct democracy was pretty fun.

Last episode was funny, but definitely a bit creepy too.

I just watched it. To me, it's another example of them trying to be too over the top funny on the one side, while a serious event is going on on the other side. Plus yeah, the slipping the aliens the Spanish fly was a bit creepy, especially considering what an SJW McFarland is. Sexual assault!

The episode could have worked as funny if they didn't purposely dope the aliens and there wasn't a war about to break out. They could have just done some script about all the crew inadvertently hooking up because of the pheromones while the ship was just be-bopping around doing nothing important.

They could have even done it as funny/serious if they modeled it after the Star Trek episode where the crew gets "high" on some alien virus (the one where Sulu runs around with a sword) all while the ship is in a decaying orbit. Then have the subplot of figuring out how to get everyone back to normal and avoid the catastrophe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
Humans - the hillbillies of the galaxy.

:rofl:

I actually thought this episode had the right, not over the top, humor component. It reminded me of how Firefly did humor/serious.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
I just watched it. To me, it's another example of them trying to be too over the top funny on the one side, while a serious event is going on on the other side. Plus yeah, the slipping the aliens the Spanish fly was a bit creepy, especially considering what an SJW McFarland is. Sexual assault!

The episode could have worked as funny if they didn't purposely dope the aliens and there wasn't a war about to break out. They could have just done some script about all the crew inadvertently hooking up because of the pheromones while the ship was just be-bopping around doing nothing important.

They could have even done it as funny/serious if they modeled it after the Star Trek episode where the crew gets "high" on some alien virus (the one where Sulu runs around with a sword) all while the ship is in a decaying orbit. Then have the subplot of figuring out how to get everyone back to normal and avoid the catastrophe.

The Naked Time. It's a good episode.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Time

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
I just started watching Orville on Charter OnDemand last night.  They only have it from episode 5, the one with the lady time traveler, and #5 expired last night.  (seems awfully short)  The same episodes that are available at fox.com.  Anyway, the show is better than I expected.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »
:rofl:

I actually thought this episode had the right, not over the top, humor component. It reminded me of how Firefly did humor/serious.

Robert Picardo played Alara's dad but I couldn't place the woman playing her mother.

Samuel Adams