Author Topic: Paul Ryan blocking national concealed carry reciprocity  (Read 2558 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Paul Ryan blocking national concealed carry reciprocity
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
What I'm hearing from the local insiders is that the Rs are nervous as hell about the midterm and the 2020 elections, and are trying to avoid taking a strong stand on hardcore Republican and Trump issues.  Why?  The fear is that there will be a backlash against all things Republican and Trump in the next two national elections, given some of the polling numbers, and that there will be a swell of voters out to throw out anyone supporting Trump and his agenda.  So, the current Rs in office are not using the power of the majority they have out of fear of losing it next elections.
So, if this is accurate, you can expect nothing out of the Rs for the next 2-4 years, despite holding a majority with an R in the Oval Office, because they are afraid that if they do something, people might not vote for them in the future...

I'm personally not a fan of statutory term limits, but things like this sure make me understand why some people are.  Career politicians more concerned with keeping the job than doing it in the first place.

I am a fan of statutory term limits.

That said, I think if the Rs believe they're helping themselves by NOT moving proactively on Trump's agenda, they're making a plotically fatal mistake. They don't seem to understand that they have a majority on both houses of Congress because of Trump, and that the people who elected rump expect the Republicans to come through on the things that were part of the Republican platform. Such as repeal of Obamacare, and national carry reciprocity. If we don't get that, heads are going to roll, and it won't be Trump's head because everyone can see that the Republicans are doing everything they can to sabotage him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Paul Ryan blocking national concealed carry reciprocity
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/republicans-fear-flood-of-centrist-retirements-ahead-of-2018-elections/article/2633892
Sounds to me like some of them see challengers in the next primary and they don't think they can win.  I hope more join him. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge