Author Topic: workplace organization  (Read 1337 times)

zahc

• friend
workplace organization
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
I am becoming more aware of how important organization is to any endeavor, whether it's electronics, brewing, guns, or whatever. It's frustrating not being able to find tools when you need them,  etc. I remember watching a scoop about mythbusters and how they have all of their special effects stuff organized so they can find it because it doesn't do you any good to have a large inventory of great stuff if you can't find it.

I'm currently undertaking a reorg of my modest metal shop. I can organize, but I can't seem to maintain.  I'm looking for inspiration from people who have the organization gene. I think the only way I can maintain organization is for every tool to have a dedicated place and a label. I'm seriously considering some sort of database and shipping/receiving system for raw materials. Anyway, I have no idea what I'm doing so inspire me.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: workplace organization
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »
Ugh, I know how that goes in a metal shop.

I've take the approach of hierarchical organization.  For example, at first, I had all my end mills in a small plastic ice cream pail.  Which worked fine, until I acquired a bunch of end mills in bulk lots from a few sources.  When it became a pain, it's time to subdivide.  Now, end mills are sorted by size.  Someday, if THAT becomes a pain, they may get subdivided again into two flute, four flute, HSS or carbide.

For another example, this happened with my plumbing box.  When I first started out doing the homeowner thing, all my plumbing crap went in a box.  Which is fine when you have just a few odds and ends, and a couple tools.  Eventually, that became a disaster.  And so, I subdivided.  All the copper fittings go *there*, black iron, somewhere else, tools in a separate plumbing tool box.  Brass fittings, somewhere else.

As to the mechanics of organizational bins and what not, I don't have that all sorted out.  Many organizational products are expensive for what they are.

Maintaining order is a matter of discipline.  The last part of the evening is to clean and put away tools, put away stock, put parts for a project in a bin for that project, clean the machines, and sweep the floor.  Sometimes it doesn't all happen, but that's the goal.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:03:21 AM »
I crave order to be happy. I hate losing tools. By nature I am a slob until I get too unhappy and go all OCD. Considering doing my home tool boxes aviation style, one foam cutout in contrasting color per tool.

Oh, and throw away anything you don't need, reduce flat spaces to essential work areas only, and then throw away some more stuff.

At actual work I am always OCD and am surrounded by slobs. My karmic punishment to be sure.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:37:52 AM »
The best thing to do for tools is to have a good place for every tool. Too little toolbox results in over crammed drawers and spillover into "anywhere that it will fit"

There are plenty of organizational ideas and stuff for hand tools

For material plenty of rack space with a bin for drops and a scrap bin helps too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:09:05 AM »
One thing I'm trying to ingrain in my son is "A place for everything and everything in it's place."   I always ask him "Is that it's put-away spot ?"  when he leaves something (especially my tools) lying around.

I want to do the old, nail the lids to a board, flip it over and have baby-food (or other) jars suspended for various sized nails, screws, parts, etc.  Like my grandfather* and uncles* had in their garages/workshops.  

*- My mother's father and one uncle were cabinet makers.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:42:13 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »
I suggest calling in SEIU to organize your workplace.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »

Small stuff go in cases. Cases go into a cart. If needed, I'll make another cart.
Nice part, the individual bins in a case are removeable. Takes seconds to snag a dozen bins and put them in an empty case. Voila, all the bits, fasteners, screws, etc for an entire project.

Everything larger goes in plastic CLEAR bins. I think they were $2 per shoe sized bin, $4 per shoe box sized box, at Walmart.

Toss a label on the front. Even disorganized, it looks pretty organized. I just throw everything into the proper bin. Grab a bin when you need it. Ok, so it takes 30 seconds to find X instead of say, 15, if it was better organized. But good enough.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:16:03 PM »
I think the only way I can maintain organization is for every tool to have a dedicated place and a label.

If you can organize but not maintain, that might be the best idea. That way it forces you to put things in a certain spot.

I crave order to be happy. I hate losing tools. By nature I am a slob until I get too unhappy and go all OCD. Considering doing my home tool boxes aviation style, one foam cutout in contrasting color per tool.

Oh, and throw away anything you don't need, reduce flat spaces to essential work areas only, and then throw away some more stuff.

At actual work I am always OCD and am surrounded by slobs. My karmic punishment to be sure.

That's kind of how I am. I love to organize things, but I can also let things pile up until it all of a sudden it bothers me, then I'll start organizing it and by the time I'm done the whole house has been completely cleaned. Pretty sure I got the disorganization from my mom, and my cleaning habit from my dad lol. My workcenter had been a big mess with tools in random drawers. I spent a lot of time organizing, and trying to catalog what we had. That's also how I ended up with a scar on the side of my thumb.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »
I've got a 1500 square ft shop.
There is an antique Allis-Chalmers CA  farm tractor somewhere towards the SW corner, I haven't seen it in a while.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams