Author Topic: So, what foods are you looking forward to...  (Read 9069 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So, what foods are you looking forward to...
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »
with fall and winter coming on?

Or don't you really do "seasonal" foods?

I've made my first pot of chili, I've made my first batch of ham and bean soup. Those are traditional fall/winter foods in my family.

Other traditional fall foods in my family are sauerkraut (obviously!), creamed cabbage, my family's version of pot pie, mac and cheese, and beef stew.

Roasted winter squash, either roasted with butter and brown sugar or stuffed with a sausage and rice mixture, are also winter treats.

One that I started making recently, and which I'm not really sure as to whether it fits in my winter or my year round rotation, is cabbage roll casserole. I love cabbage rolls, but they're such a pain in the ass to make, but a casserole version using chopped cabbage is a lot easier.

And, let's not forget toddys... hot buttered rum and whiskey...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: So, what foods are you looking forward to...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
Sweet potato pie.

Though, with the prediabetes, I should avoid it at all costs.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
Nah, go for full-bore diabeetus.

Then I can have fun throwing syringes at you and pretending I'm Marlin Perkins darting a hippo...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
Then I can have fun throwing syringes at you and pretending I'm Marlin Perkins darting a hippo...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL!

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »
I'm just looking forward to fall, which is taking its sweet time arriving. When it shows up, I want some Mexican hot chocolate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »
Green chili!  We usually put up a bunch of chiles and salsa this time of year.  We just got back from checking on the Romas just up the road, and they look good.  Probably get a box roasted and a bushel of chile also, this afternoon or tomorrow. We'll chop and bag a bunch of chiles in 29 oz bags (which makes a 20 qt pot of either of our recipes). When we get in the new house with a proper kitchen in November, we can cook and freeze a big pot full.  Thaw and heat a pot of chili, and smother some bean or avocado burritos. Easy and everyone likes it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
Fresh apples.  I buy the half-bushel bags of "seconds" from the local orchard.  Mostly Honeygold and Haralsons.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:14:10 AM »
Around Thanksgiving is when I make a new batch of batter for hot buttered rum.  I'll keep making more batter as required until about Christmas.  Then when it runs out, that's it until the next Thanksgiving.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:18:26 PM »
apple cider (the real thing- not that pasteurized stuff)
chilli
fresh venison
fall wild mushrooms like hen o the woods and giant puffball
homemade smoked sausage (venison again)
root crops like sweet potatos and beets turnips etc
fresh horseradish!
pheasant stroganof
What we have here is failure to communicate.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 04:44:43 AM »
Looking forward to a lot of "seasonal" foods and beverages but since I've been overseas since June some of the things I'm craving include: biscuits and sausage gravy, country fried steak and eggs, and Philly cheesesteaks just to name a few.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
Fruitcake.

I only eat it around the holidays, to keep it associated with them.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »
Boeuf Bourguignon. So simple to make in the crockpot, and so tasty.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »
Fried deer heart from my 1st deer of the year.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
The eggnog is coming soon. This is how I tolerate Christmas stuff being put on the shelves before Thanksgiving. I find I am much less easily annoyed when I can gulp down some cold eggnog.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »
The eggnog is coming soon. This is how I tolerate Christmas stuff being put on the shelves before Thanksgiving. I find I am much less easily annoyed when I can gulp down some cold eggnog.

I have a recipe for eggnog that is a killer. I got it about 30 years ago from our squadron MS (Navy Cook). The only problem was cutting it down to reasonable portions. The original called for 11 dozen eggs, and a ton of vanilla ice cream along with the other ingredients. If I remember I will post it up later.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
Fruitcake.

I only eat it around the holidays, to keep it associated with them.

My favorite commercial fruitcake that I can easily find is the Claxton dark.  No one in this area sells it, so I buy it on Amazon.  The locally-made fruitcakes, including Costco, are not very good.  The Costco fruitcake does not have a large enough variety of fruit (pineapple and cherries) and is way too sweet for me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »
Boeuf Bourguignon. So simple to make in the crockpot, and so tasty.

Recipe  ??    I have a packet of Beef Bourgiugnon Seasoning  I need to make that again.   It was really good.  I made mine in the oven, but I'd love a crockpot recipe !!! 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »
I used to make a traditional English plum pudding for Christmas.  Basically an early form of fruitcake.

Now that mom is gone I probably won't make it again just for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
I have a recipe for eggnog that is a killer. I got it about 30 years ago from our squadron MS (Navy Cook). The only problem was cutting it down to reasonable portions. The original called for 11 dozen eggs, and a ton of vanilla ice cream along with the other ingredients. If I remember I will post it up later.

bob

Eggnog falls under that category of things I don't want to actually have to make, just enjoy. Store bought is fine with me. Part of it is because I can and will drink the carton within 24 hours of purchase. Having to go to the store to get more both limits consumption and makes me feel less guilty about gulping rather than savoring.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
Eggnog falls under that category of things I don't want to actually have to make, just enjoy. Store bought is fine with me. Part of it is because I can and will drink the carton within 24 hours of purchase. Having to go to the store to get more both limits consumption and makes me feel less guilty about gulping rather than savoring.

Making is so much better though and you get to control the ingredients. I can't drink the store bought stuff at all. :(

bob

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »

Recipe  ??    I have a packet of Beef Bourgiugnon Seasoning  I need to make that again.   It was really good.  I made mine in the oven, but I'd love a crockpot recipe !!! 
I'll see if I can remember the recipe I used. It was tasty, but for some reason the meat wasn't as tender as I would've liked, despite 8ish hours in the pot on high heat. Not sure if I used too much wine or too little tbh.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »

It last longer if you cut it 50/50 with some good dark spiced rum.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
It last longer if you cut it 50/50 with some good dark spiced rum.

I got some (I think) Bird Dog Blueberry Whiskey last year. Nasty stuff by itself.

Excellent added to Eggnog. I may have to get some more this year.

Also, BSL, you shouldn't be gulping eggnog as it should be served hot. Noting better than a hot cup of eggnog and watching the snow fall. Well, maybe hot cup of apple cider. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »
Looking forward to some pheasant now that I can walk again on my new knee. Bad timing is the bird dog is now 12 y/o and not good for long hunts.
What we have here is failure to communicate.