Author Topic: Climate Insanity Intensifies  (Read 1858 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Climate Insanity Intensifies
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:14:43 AM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/11/climate-change-activists-want-punishment-for-skept/

Now the true believers want questioning global warming climate change to be made a criminal offense.

I would have said "Unbelievable!" -- except that I believe it. Criminalizing debate is much easier than coming up with hard science to prove your hypothesis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Climate Insanity Intensifies
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »
I fear I will die in a different country I was born in. :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »
I fear I will die in a different country I was born in. :'(

I will die in MY country in a pool of my enemies blood.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
I find it ironically funny (and not in the "ha ha" way) that one day the will cry out about the "deniers", comparing them to the church and Copernicus* and Galileo and Kepler, and the next day cry out for criminal charges for the heretic unbelievers, becoming "the church" themselves.

*Apparently the Catholic church didn't actually have a big problem with Copernicus, contrary to common myth. However the Protestants didn't like him much.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:05:11 PM »
Criminalizing debate is much easier than coming up with hard science to prove your hypothesis.

But science is HARD and often BORING!  Endless hours making & recording observations or experimental results, then actually ANALYZING all that data.  And even with all that hard work, it might not confirm what your gut tells you is truth, meaning you have to make changes to your perceptions & conjectures and repeat all the hard & boring work.

Much easier and faster to just go with the feelings.  More satisfaction as well, since gut feelings feed really well into other feelings like righteous indignation and the need to feel that you're doing something about the "problem".  When "those deniers" don't come around to the proper way of thinking, we can just setup special groups to find them and correct their wrongness.  Which makes us feel even more correct and righteous.

/s

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »
But science is HARD and often BORING!  Endless hours making & recording observations or experimental results, then actually ANALYZING all that data.  And even with all that hard work, it might not confirm what your gut tells you is truth, meaning you have to make changes to your perceptions & conjectures and repeat all the hard & boring work.

Why bother repeating all the work when you can simply "adjust" the data, and then cherry pick from that?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
Where have we seen harebrained fascist ideas like this passed into unconstitutional laws?  Oh, yeah, I remember.  Hate crime laws.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:55 PM »
I find it ironically funny (and not in the "ha ha" way) that one day the will cry out about the "deniers", comparing them to the church and Copernicus* and Galileo and Kepler, and the next day cry out for criminal charges for the heretic unbelievers, becoming "the church" themselves.

*Apparently the Catholic church didn't actually have a big problem with Copernicus, contrary to common myth. However the Protestants didn't like him much.

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
Why bother repeating all the work when you can simply "adjust" the data, and then cherry pick from that?

Just take one data point that you like and extrapolate from that.  No need to adjust anything that way.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
No, you need two data points.  Just make sure the earlier one is cooler than the later one.

Then you can say that statistical analysis shows a definite warming trend.  You may add an "alarming" in there if you're so inclined.

If you're feeling really ballsey, you can stick "rigorous" before "statistical," since the term "rigor" involves a value judgment anyhow.

Moreover, selection of the proper four data points will allow you to legitimately use the term "exponential" as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:50:10 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »

Moreover, selection of the proper four data points will allow you to legitimately use the term "exponential" as well.

Can't you do that with just three data points?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 03:28:10 PM »

I have heard the term "unbelievers" applied to the climate-change skeptical.

Climate change panic has sin, a means of atonement and an eschatology.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 03:57:26 PM »
Where have we seen harebrained fascist ideas like this passed into unconstitutional laws?  Oh, yeah, I remember.  Hate crime laws.

At least with hate crimes, there is (usually) a crime that starts the ball rolling.  Here, it's the mere discussion of an opinion that could get you cuffed and stuffed.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:25:20 PM »
The amusing thing about the Human Caused Globular Worming/Climax Change thingy is that the most vociferous,  screechy defenders of it are mostly people that don't have a clue about the science or lack of science with respect to it.  Just about everyone I am acquainted with who are believers aren't qualified to comment about it.  Blind faith...and they are generally of the neoliberal/leftist/progressive ilk and haven't done anything else except regurgitate sound bites. 

Me, I'm equally stupid with respect to it, but at least I check out both sides of the story and go with seems to be the most plausible.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw