Author Topic: High school shooting in Spokane: one dead, four injured and suspect in custody  (Read 4810 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/13/shooting-reported-at-freeman-high-school/#/0

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/spokane-schools-locked-down-following-reports-of-shooting/

I was actually on the phone with a risk management colleague at Deaconess when she said '*expletive deleted*it! A mass casualty alert is being paged!  I have to go!  and she hung up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
This is a rapidly developing (changing ;) ) story. A lot of speculation and rumors flying around right now. One thing is for sure though, reading some of the comments on a facebook feed about this is that many people are dicks.

http://www.khq.com/story/36357865/freeman-high-school-shooting-1-dead-3-injured-suspect-detained

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Thank $deity that schools are gun free zones.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Jebus, reading the comments on the KHQ story makes my head hurt.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
A day before the shooting, Freeman High School had held a lockdown drill.

Nice of them to be sure he was clear on what their response would be.

BobR

• friend
From the way it is being reported (and discussed by the kids there) he had two weapons, the first one jammed. It has also been reported there was only one weapon. The kid that was killed was trying to talk/stop him and was shot then he just randomly fired his (remaining) weapon randomly down the hallway. The janitor confronted him and told him to stop firing which he did. The school resource officer (Police) was then able to take him into custody.

Some kids are saying he was fairly normal while others are saying he is "funny, weird" and that he had an obsession with school shootings and even passed around a note a couple of weeks ago saying he may "be jailed or killed". That note was given to the school counselors and that is where that trail ends for now.

When something happens like this in such a small community such as this one did it touches everyone there.

I am fairly certain he will be tried as an adult, the hearing is this morning.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Photo of the accused

BobR

• friend
Sensationalize much?  List of "school" shootings in WA sine 1994.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/13/a-look-at-shootings-at-washington-schools/

If they were shot on school grounds, no matter why or how old it is a "school shooting".   ;/

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Some kids are saying he was fairly normal while others are saying he is "funny, weird" and that he had an obsession with school shootings and even passed around a note a couple of weeks ago saying he may "be jailed or killed". That note was given to the school counselors and that is where that trail ends for now

Is this going to be another case of giant, day-glo red flags being disregarded by the ones that should have called the ball?

At some point you have to wonder if the mental health "professionals" are deliberately allowing dangerous whack-a-doodles to run loose to further an agenda.
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• friend
Knew this was coming, he was bullied. Also had been under the care of the school counselor for "suicidal ideations".

It is beginning to look like once again the red flags were ignored or possibly dismissed because who really wants to be the one that accuses a kid of being a psychopath?

http://www.khq.com/story/36368096/court-docs-accused-freeman-shooter-told-detectives-he-did-it-to-teach-everyone-a-lesson-about-bullying

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
Problem:

Data entry. I've been compiling a log of school shooting and mass shootings, primarily for the purpose of collecting data to document that lawful gun owners aren't the problem, and that gun-free zones aren't the answer. So ...

He had a rifle and a handgun. He didn't use the rifle ... because he couldn't make it work. Should the rifle be included in the weaponry, or not?

Then ...

Sharpe's father told detectives Caleb knew the combination to the large gun safe which was "most likely where the firearms came from."

My spreadsheet has a column for "Guns purchased legally?" If they were in the father's gun safe, they were presumeably purchased legally, but I'm fairly certain his father didn't give him permission to go shoot up the school. Is it cheating to enter "No" in that column for this incident?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I would say 'guns acquired legally' on the spreadsheet.  You can get a gun or gain access to it by many ways other than purchase.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I would say 'guns acquired legally' on the spreadsheet.  You can get a gun or gain access to it by many ways other than purchase.

This. "Acquired" or "obtained."

As for whether to include the rifle, I guess it depends on what you want from your data. Also, are you including weapons like bombs or knives that they did or did not use? Are you counting all of the cartridges they brought with them, or just the ones they fired? (If you're counting that at all.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
Problem:

Data entry. I've been compiling a log of school shooting and mass shootings, primarily for the purpose of collecting data to document that lawful gun owners aren't the problem, and that gun-free zones aren't the answer. So ...

He had a rifle and a handgun. He didn't use the rifle ... because he couldn't make it work. Should the rifle be included in the weaponry, or not?

Then ...

My spreadsheet has a column for "Guns purchased legally?" If they were in the father's gun safe, they were presumeably purchased legally, but I'm fairly certain his father didn't give him permission to go shoot up the school. Is it cheating to enter "No" in that column for this incident?

I would include a separate column for stuff like that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
I'm leaning toward classifying the guns as NOT acquired/obtained legally. They were his father's guns, and he (we suppose) didn't have permission to use them to shoot up the school. Ergo ... they were stolen. I counted the Sandy Hook shooter's guns as stolen, too.

Not counting rounds of ammunition. I don't see that it makes any difference. The point is that the anti-gun types continually portray law-abiding gun owners as a problem. I want statistics (but I want accurate statistics, I don't want to "cook the books" the way the climate change lobby is doing) to show that denying guns to law-abiding people won't prevent many/most school and mass shootings.

I also track whether or not shootings are acts of terrorism. This one wasn't.

Yes, I do include mass assaults with other than guns. In fact, one of the very early ones on my list is the Bath Township incident in Michigan. The weapon in that one was dynamite. And I also included the 9/11 attack. So far, the summary of the data shows:

Total killed in gun-free zones: 3,459
Total wounded/injured in gun-free zones: 8,415
Total killed by guns in non-gun-free zones: 103
Total wounded by guns in non-gun-free zones: 112

No, the numbers don't include murders, drive-by shootings, and a lot of other type incidents. I'm focusing on incidents that involve schools, and incidents that would generally fall under the category of "mass" shootings. So far, the data seem to be fairly conclusive that declaring a place gun-free doesn't assure safety.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Is this going to be another case of giant, day-glo red flags being disregarded by the ones that should have called the ball?

At some point you have to wonder if the mental health "professionals" are deliberately allowing dangerous whack-a-doodles to run loose to further an agenda.
 [tinfoil]

I want to agree with you but then I remember the demographics of my HS. The number of kids who could be counted as "funny, weird" was a lot and most were harmless. When you're dealing with teenagers, messes of hormones and the modern "rebellious" attitude, figuring out which ones are actually cracked and which are just being hormonal, "rebellious" teenagers is darn near impossible.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I would go guns "legally obtained"  Since he did not have dad's permission to go into the gun safe.  Then "No" not legally obtained.

Then "Gun(s) Used"   I would only include guns that actually got at least one shot off (I would have sub-columns of Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, and 'Assault Weapon'.)    Just because Timmy the Pyscho brought twenty guns, but only shot one..

Finally, If you are under say 30 and not balding, then shaving your head bald is an indicator that you're a whack-a-doodle, and it's time to change the combo on the gun safe...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend

Then "Gun(s) Used"   I would only include guns that actually got at least one shot off (I would have sub-columns of Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, and 'Assault Weapon'.)    Just because Timmy the Pyscho brought twenty guns, but only shot one..

I do track whether or not any guns used were "assault weapons." In this case, I don't know what type of rifle he took to the school. I am going to include it -- he had it with him, and he attempted to use it. For purposes of tracking what guns people use in school and mass shootings, I think it's more than a bit disingenuous to not count a gun that a shooter took to the scene and attempted to use, but failed only because the gun jammed.

Finally, If you are under say 30 and not balding, then shaving your head bald is an indicator that you're a whack-a-doodle, and it's time to change the combo on the gun safe...

Ummmm ... http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/09/14/bald-attractive-dominant-study/

Hawkmoon

• friend
What a surprise -- the more I read about the incident, the less I know.

Some reports say the boy who was killed made a heroic attempt to stop the shooter. Others say he was one of the kids who had bullied the shooter, and that rather than trying to stop him, the victim was mouthing off at him.

Then there's the janitor. Some reports say he told the shooter to stop, and he did. Other reports say the shooter's handgun jammed, and that's when the janitor intervened. And now I just read an article claiming that the janitor "tackled" him.

It does appear that the rifle was an AR-15.

BobR

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
^^^^

This is the most official version most likely:

https://www.scribd.com/document/358922217/Freeman-High-School-shooting-probable-cause-documents-Redacted

bob

If that report is correct, we're now up to two rifles. On the second page, it says a teacher picked up an "assault style" rifle and took it into his classroom. Then it says a police officer located and secured an "automatic" rifle and an "automatic" handgun in the upstairs hallway. Taken at face value, then, we have an "assault-style" rifle in the classroom and a machine gun somewhere in the corridor.

This is the official, investigating officer's report, so it is certainly official. That doesn't make it correct or accurate.

Hmmm ... report says the shooter brags of "owning" multiple guns, and says his father buys them for him. If that's true, maybe they weren't stolen. Born 2001, so the shooter is 16 years old. Is it legal in that state for a 16-year old to own firearms if they are gifts from a parent?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
What a surprise -- the more I read about the incident, the less I know.

Some reports say the boy who was killed made a heroic attempt to stop the shooter. Others say he was one of the kids who had bullied the shooter, and that rather than trying to stop him, the victim was mouthing off at him.

School is not a benign environment, for many.  (Me included, back in the day.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
School is not a benign environment, for many.  (Me included, back in the day.)

High school wasn't benign for me, either. I wasn't a jock, so I wasn't part of the in crowd. I was one of the nerds, and nerds had a difficult time at my school. I wasn't as nerdy as some, however, so it could have been worse.

BobR

• friend
Is it legal in that state for a 16-year old to own firearms if they are gifts from a parent?

RCW 9.41.042

Children—Permissible firearm possession.

*RCW 9.41.040(2)(a)(iii) shall not apply to any person under the age of eighteen years who is:

(1) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;

(2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;

(3) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance;

(4) Hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the person under Title  77 RCW;

(5) In an area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted, is not trespassing, and the person either: (a) Is at least fourteen years of age, has been issued a hunter safety certificate, and is using a lawful firearm other than a pistol; or (b) is under the supervision of a parent, guardian, or other adult approved for the purpose by the parent or guardian;

(6) Traveling with any unloaded firearm in the person's possession to or from any activity described in subsection (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of this section;

(7) On real property under the control of his or her parent, other relative, or legal guardian and who has the permission of the parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm;

(8) At his or her residence and who, with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian, possesses a firearm for the purpose of exercising the rights specified in RCW 9A.16.020(3); or

(9) Is a member of the armed forces of the United States, national guard, or organized reserves, when on duty.

[ 2003 c 53 § 27; 1999 c 143 § 2; 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 403.]

Here is the other RCW that is referenced in the one above:  http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.040

bob

BobR

• friend
Another newspaper article but this one is the Spokane County Sheriff. He says things many people know but are unwilling or afraid to put out there in fear of disrupting someone's feelings. That is one of the reasons I vote for him when he comes up for re-election.

Knezovich accused people dressed in black who “commit all types of violence in the name of getting their own way,” and violent video games for influencing Caleb Sharpe, the 15-year-old sophomore at Freeman who is accused of shooting four students, killing one. Knezovich said investigators were increasingly convinced a preoccupation with school-shooting culture played a large part in precipitating the shooting, as opposed to bullying, which was the explanation offered by Sharpe.

Knezovich also placed blame on the media, saying it had furthered the “school-shooting culture” that played into Sharpe’s fixation.

“This young gentleman got sucked into a counterculture, a culture of violence,” he said. “And you media, you’re to blame for it. You keep using headlines. You keep giving them names.”

Knezovich said guns haven’t changed over the years, and aren’t to blame in shootings. He said society is.

“You started glorifying cultures of violence. You glorified the gang culture,” he said. “You glorified games that are actually giving you points for raping and killing people. A gun did not change, we changed.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/14/spokane-county-sheriff-breakdown-of-society-media-/#/0

bob