Author Topic: CA Bill on Presidents and Tax Returns  (Read 709 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CA Bill on Presidents and Tax Returns
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »
I'm very curious about the legality of this. CA passed a bill (awaiting the governor's signature) that would ban from CA presidential ballots, the name of any presidential candidate that did not release their tax returns. They based it off similar legislation in NY, but that legislation only applies to state races.

This seems to me to be dangerously close to ballot manipulation. It also, even if legal, seems like something ripe for a Harry Reid type backfire.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/350789-california-legislature-passes-bill-requiring-presidential-candidates-to?amp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: CA Bill on Presidents and Tax Returns
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »
On it's face is seems a de facto voter access restriction. Can't reach the polling location or can't vote for a duly nominated candidate, the effect is the same - blatant blocking of voter access to an objective, unrestricted election process. I can't see SCOTUS doing anything but tossing it wholesale (presuming, of course, it actually makes it to the Gov.Cali for signature).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: CA Bill on Presidents and Tax Returns
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »
" tradition of releasing tax returns"

I think they just screwed themselves with any court cases that come along.

There's no Federal law requiring it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.