Author Topic: Apply background checks for gun purchases to voting  (Read 1398 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Apply background checks for gun purchases to voting
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-gun-background-checks-voting-0912-story.html

by John R. Lott Jr.

Democrats have long lauded background checks on gun purchases as simple, accurate and in complete harmony with the Second Amendment right to own guns. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., has bragged that the checks “make our communities and neighborhoods safer without in any way abridging rights or threatening a legitimate part of the American heritage.”

If Democrats really believe that the National Instant Criminal Background Check System doesn’t interfere “in any way” with people’s constitutional rights to own a gun, doesn't it follow that the same system would not constitute an infringement on people’s right to vote? This would give Republicans a system for stopping vote fraud and Democrats a system that they have already vigorously endorsed.

[popcorn] [popcorn]

Interesting idea.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Apply background checks for gun purchases to voting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
Yeah, but background checks for voting would infringe on the... right....

Um....

...to vote.

Never mind.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »
Never mind.

The problem is that the left don't acknowledge the second as a right.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:46:51 PM »
The problem is that the left don't acknowledge the second as a right.

Sure they do.  They taught me all about it in law school.  I can still quote the Con Law professor, spring of 1993...

"Second Amendment.  Sorry, NRA.  It gives the states the right to have a National Guard.  It's not an individual right."

And that was it.  No discussion.  No debate. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
Sure they do.  They taught me all about it in law school.  I can still quote the Con Law professor, spring of 1993...

"Second Amendment.  Sorry, NRA.  It gives the states the right to have a National Guard.  It's not an individual right."

That's probably the best way to "explain" a position like that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »

Do they really believe that, or just don't want to admit the obvious? Or both?

Admittedly, EVERYONE does the same thing to the Ninth and Ten Amendments. "Uhm. They don't mean what they say... And it doesn't matter anyways. YOU SEE NOTHING, MOVE ALONG"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:43:22 PM »
Basically, leftist morality is all about "fairness" and "caring".  They care nothing about authority or loyalty.  Leftists care nothing about obeying the Constitution since it is "authority."

Conservative morality includes not only fairness and caring, but also authority and loyalty.  This gives conservatives more respect (usually anyway) for the rule of law and the constitution.

Johnathan Haidt's "The Righteous Mind" explains this very well.

Basically, leftist are morally incapable of giving a damn about the law or the Constitution.  Hence, their continual support for illegal immigration, voter fraud, restrictions on free speech etc.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:23:15 PM »
Basically, leftist morality is all about "fairness" and "caring".  They care nothing about authority or loyalty.  Leftists care nothing about obeying the Constitution since it is "authority."

But they sure like to use the law against their enemies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife