Author Topic: Low Orbit, Low Latency Satellite Internet  (Read 1498 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Low Orbit, Low Latency Satellite Internet
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »
I'm probably behind the times because I'm just now hearing about this, but Space X and OneWeb want to put >700 satellites in Low Earth Orbit to provide low latency (<30ms), high bandwidth (50mbps) service across the US, including Alaska. Also eventually the world, according to their website.

Service to potentially start limited in 2018 and to rapidly expand by 2019. Whatever they end up charging, I bet it's going to be the same price or cheaper than what I pay now for microwave. I'm curious about data caps though.

Since I'll be in rural areas until I die or get sent to the nursing home, I am keenly interested in this technology. A quick Google search resulted in the example links below that went from "probably not gonna work" in 2015, to, "ready to launch" a few months ago.

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/elon-musk-space-x-satellite-internet/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/low-latency-satellite-broadband-gets-approval-to-serve-us-residents/

http://oneweb.world/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Low Orbit, Low Latency Satellite Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »
I'm even behinder than you, because I hadn't heard of it until I saw your post. Interesting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
I had read that part of Space X plan to utilize their capabilities for significantly increased launch numbers was for this.

As the rest of the world gets used to cheaper and more frequent launches, Space X will have the world blanketed in internet.

Shortly afterward, Skynet will wipe out most of humanity and send the terminators to track down the last holdouts.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
Wasn't Google going to put a bunch of Wi-Fi drones in the skies of the Global South?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
Innnnteresting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 02:12:50 PM »
I should have my 1 Gbps fiber to the home install by the end of the month.

50 Mbps, pish.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
Sounds like a promising development to me.  I'm in the same internet boat, I have satellite for the simple reason that there is NOTHING else available.  They charge accordingly, demanding a small ransom every month.  I don't know if they will be surprised when they go out of business, but they shouldn't be.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.