Author Topic: Danged drug commercials  (Read 2127 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Danged drug commercials
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:52:47 PM »
These people have no shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4288861523&feature=iv&src_vid=TQ8H4EK2vt4&v=Bf5TgVRGND4

On a related note. A few days ago I was out with my large format field camera just kind of practicing. Took a few shots of the big pond on my neighbors place.
I was pretty focused on the actual process of photography and operating the camera.
My situational awareness was into double digit negative territory.
I developed my film this evening and there is a couple of does drinking at the close edge of the pond, left than 75 yards from me. I never freaking knew they were there.  :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Danged drug commercials
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:57:54 PM »
I developed my film this evening and there is a couple of does drinking at the close edge of the pond, left than 75 yards from me. I never freaking knew they were there.  :facepalm:

1. You fool! You might have been killed!

2. Not sure what you so strongly dislike about the "ad."

3. Is it "are a couple of does," because there are two does? Or is it "is a couple of does," because it's just one couple? Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »
1. You fool! You might have been killed!

2. Not sure what you so strongly dislike about the "ad."

3. Is it "are a couple of does," because there are two does? Or is it "is a couple of does," because it's just one couple? Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.

Well, deer are responsible for a considerable number of highway death and injury.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:57:52 AM »
They're the opposite of vampire deer. Can't see them IRL, but they show up on film.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 03:31:16 AM »
The ones I don't get are the ones with disclaimers like "be sure and tell your doctor if you've had a liver transplant."

Like that would have just slipped my mind when I was filling out the insanely detailed list of medical issues before the first appointment?

Right up there with "if you have a significant erection lasting more than four hours."  I'm not 17 anymore; if I have a serious four hour erection without an extremely persuasive reason, the doctor will hear about it after everybody else within earshot.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »
The ones I don't get are the ones with disclaimers like "be sure and tell your doctor if you've had a liver transplant."

Like that would have just slipped my mind when I was filling out the insanely detailed list of medical issues before the first appointment?

Right up there with "if you have a significant erection lasting more than four hours."  I'm not 17 anymore; if I have a serious four hour erection without an extremely persuasive reason, the doctor will hear about it after everybody else within earshot.

We work with a few doctors and you'd be surprised.
Person comes in with medical condition, get prescribed drug, has reaction.  Follow up visit, doctor realizes it's a drug interaction.
"Are you on X?"
"Yeah, why?"
"I asked you if you're on medications..."
"Oh I forgot"
 :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:46:47 AM »
I can't take Lortab, makes me sick as hell, puking toenails sick. Found that out the hard way.
Had fairly major shoulder surgery a few years ago. Filled out reams of paper, allergic to lortab/hydrocodone etc, etc.
Guess what they prescribed for me.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:13:34 AM »

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »
I can't take Lortab, makes me sick as hell, puking toenails sick. Found that out the hard way.
Had fairly major shoulder surgery a few years ago. Filled out reams of paper, allergic to lortab/hydrocodone etc, etc.
Guess what they prescribed for me.

Vicodin?
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 12:30:49 AM »

Actually we stick a 18 gauge needle into the side of your willy and suck the blood out with a 30cc syringe.  =|

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:36:15 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 04:34:17 AM »

That's what it was like on the chemo drugs.   One to counteract the chemo side-effects, and then another counteract the side-effects of the first, and on and on and on.  Until I was taking 24 prescriptions.  To include insulin for chemo induced diabetes.  And two heart attacks.  I'm down to three 'scripts.  One for the nerve pain in my feet and hands.  One for my iPTH (I only take that med twice a week- Calcatriol), and Fosrenol with meals.  It's a phosphorus binder, since  dialysis doesn't eliminate it from my system.  Too much phosphorus is bad for bones....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 07:23:37 AM »
We work with a few doctors and you'd be surprised.
Person comes in with medical condition, get prescribed drug, has reaction.  Follow up visit, doctor realizes it's a drug interaction.
"Are you on X?"
"Yeah, why?"
"I asked you if you're on medications..."
"Oh I forgot"
 :facepalm:

It's not always the patient. Mistakes can go both ways.

Several years ago a doctor at the VA prescribed a topical medication for a skin condition. I had a reaction to the medication, so I stopped using it. At the next appointment, the doctor threw a hissy fit when I told him I had stopped. The doctors in the specialty clinics are generally residents, on loan from the nearby medical school, but they are supervised by an attending physician who is on the VA staff. The resident went scurrying out, and came back with the attending so he could (he thought) have THE BIG MAN chew me out for not following HIS instructions. The attending asked why I had stopped using the medication. I told him I stopped because it left my skin dried to the point I had open cracks -- so I stopped. Attending turned to the resident and informed him that stopping a medication when there's an adverse reaction is what a patient is supposed to do

Fast forward two or three years. Back at the dermatology clinic for an appointment with a different resident, for the same condition. He gave me a prescription, which I filled at the hospital's pharmacy and took home. But something about the name of the stuff jogged a couple of random gray cells in the back of my head. I checked the record I keep of my medication history and, sure enough, the new prescription was the same stuff I had the adverse reaction to. I don't know if the new resident missed it, or if the first resident maliciously "overlooked" entering the reaction in my record as revenge for my making him look bad in front of the attending physician.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design