Author Topic: House Votes to Defund Expansion of Civil Forfeiture  (Read 657 times)

MechAg94

• friend
House Votes to Defund Expansion of Civil Forfeiture
« on: September 14, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
http://ij.org/press-release/house-defunds-attorney-generals-expansion-civil-forfeiture/

The U.S. House of Representatives unanimously approved three amendments late Tuesday that would defund a notorious federal forfeiture program that was recently restored by U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
But as part of a massive appropriations bill (H.R. 3354), which funds the Justice Department and other federal agencies, the newly adopted amendments would cut off funding to carry out the Attorney General’s order reviving adoptive seizures, effectively putting a stop to the practice through the next fiscal year. Two dozen organizations from all across the political spectrum, including the Institute for Justice, the American Conservative Union, the ACLU and the NAACP, endorsed the amendments.
I am encouraged that this happened, but it is only funding.  I am suspicious that Sessions could easily get around this and it is just symbolic.  The article does give a little history at the bottom and mention a couple of bills that put limits on civil forfeiture though it sounds like those aren't going anywhere. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: House Votes to Defund Expansion of Civil Forfeiture
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:22:41 PM »
I'm frankly shocked that it was unanimous. Good on them though. This is one area where I'm happy and impressed that there was full agreement across the aisle, even if the motivations differed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: House Votes to Defund Expansion of Civil Forfeiture
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 02:35:54 PM »
Good thing I was sitting down when I read that.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama