Author Topic: How to Identify the Biggest Nannies in the USA  (Read 2482 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
How to Identify the Biggest Nannies in the USA
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:31:40 PM »
Just do a quick search for reactions to the kid who got to mow the White House lawn, and you will identify all our biggest nannies. This NYT "labor reporter" is public nanny #1.

I'm pretty sure I was around 8-9 when my dad had me out mowing the lawn, and that was with a lawnmower from the 60s that would make this reporter piss his pants. And I was jut one of dozens of neighborhood kids doing the same.

By the time I met the "12 years old" criteria the reporter cites, besides mowing the lawn, I was riding a motorcycle, learned how to drive my dad's truck, and had gotten to drive a tractor a few times. I'm pretty sure I was already checked off on the circular saw by then as well.

I swear, these people suck the fun out of every damn thing.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/09/16/why-trump-won-former-nyt-labor-reporter-thinks-boy-mowing-white-house-lawn-sends-a-bad-signal/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
Re: How to Identify the Biggest Nannies in the USA
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »
I was mowing lawns with an old time push reel mower at around age10.  We collected magazines, newspapers, bottles and cans and sold them to the two old brothers who sold them again further up the line when they got a box car or truck load.  I got my first paper route around age 12.  Peddled the morning paper at 4AM so I could still go back to bed for an hour before I had to get up to walk to school over a mile away.  Then I peddled the afternoon paper when I got out of school.  Shoveled walks and driveways in the winter time with old heavy steel snow shovels.  That was done between paper routes.

It's amazing how *expletive deleted*ing stupid the media types are today.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
Oh, and this is the kind of lawn mower I used as a kid. I know my dad kept it until at least the late 70s. Same deal as the one at the link for starting. You just used a piece of rope and wound it around the starter pulley and heaved. I seem to also remember getting shocked once in a while turning it off because it had some weird manual shutoff involving the spark plug.

http://wd4eui.com/old_lawn_mower.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
"I seem to also remember getting shocked once in a while turning it off because it had some weird manual shutoff involving the spark plug."

Oh, yeah, a strip of spring steel mounted on the cylinder head which you pushed toward the plug's  terminal to short it out.  Of necessity, this required some "bareness" of the spark plug top.  Hard to find a good image of it, but this one shows it if you look closely:

https://oldpathsequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_3441-1024x768.jpg

Don't let's forget.  The goal isn't child safety.  The goal is to criticize President Trump for anything.

Any

piddly

little

pissant

thing

at

all.

Quite a while ago I came to the conclusion that most hyperlefties are childish little twits.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:14:05 PM by 230RN »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 11:19:01 PM »
I was mowing lawns with an old time push reel mower at around age10.  

10? Clear case of arrested development.

I was born during WW2. When my father came home after the war, the only mower we had was the same thing everyone else had -- a push-operated, reel type mower. When I was about 5 years old, my grandparents took me to a toy shop "downtown" and bought me my very own, scaled-down reel mower. I'm not talking about some tin or plastic toy that looked like a reel mower. I think this thing was probably a genuine mower made for doing edges and trimming. The construction was exactly like my father's "big" mower -- only higher quality. The blades only cut about a 12" swath, though.

I still have it -- it's down in the basement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
The arguments that guy is making are a good example of why it is sometimes dangerous to follow a leftist through these arguments.  They start with stupidity and just keep going. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:55:43 PM »
The push reel mower my dad had didn't have rubber wheels.  It had steel wheels that revolved on ball bearings around a fixed circle attached to the mower blade assembly.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 07:43:36 PM »

Oh, yeah, a strip of spring steel mounted on the cylinder head which you pushed toward the plug's  terminal to short it out.  Of necessity, this required some "bareness" of the spark plug top.  

Yeah, that was it. I think it might have had some protective cover (for the user) that got worn and instead of doing something to fix it, my dad likely yelled at me to be a man.  :laugh:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
Yeah, that was it. I think it might have had some protective cover (for the user) that got worn and instead of doing something to fix it, my dad likely yelled at me to be a man.  :laugh:

Ours never had a cover. I learned very quickly to use the toe of my shoe/boot to press that metal strip against the contact on the spark plug.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »
I think the proper thread title should be "Biggest Ninnies".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 12:21:08 AM »
Speaking of which, the mower I used as a kid was a Sears Craftsman reel mower that had a gas engine and was self-propelled.  I have not seen a powered reel mower in years and years, which is a shame, since a reel mower cuts so well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 06:46:29 AM »
Speaking of which, the mower I used as a kid was a Sears Craftsman reel mower that had a gas engine and was self-propelled.  I have not seen a powered reel mower in years and years, which is a shame, since a reel mower cuts so well.

Look on Amazon, they are there, including a battery powered one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:44:14 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 07:24:33 AM »
Speaking of which, the mower I used as a kid was a Sears Craftsman reel mower that had a gas engine and was self-propelled.  I have not seen a powered reel mower in years and years, which is a shame, since a reel mower cuts so well.

https://www.mowersdirect.com/lawn/reel-walk-behind-lawn-mowers.html

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »

We had one of those when I was real young. (No pun intended.  Okay, maybe just a little bit of one.)  I've not seen one of those in years, either.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
I bought a gas power rotary mower, not self propelled, from Monkey Wards around 1967.  I think my brother in law is still using it at his cottage.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
Thank God my son is old enough to mow the yard, that is all I will say. =D

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:57 PM »
I would have been 5 or 6 as well with the reel mower. We had one when we lived in Batesville. For some random reason I really liked it and mom would let me push it around. I'm pretty sure it was one of those parental win win moments when they think "Hey, look, kid is amused and that's one less chore I have to do."

I'm so glad I squeaked through before the parental trend of bubble wrapping kids became the norm.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
We had a plain old push mower when I was a kid. Same for the ancient rototiller for the garden.
Oddly enough, after I left for the Navy dad bought a riding mower and quit having a garden.
My younger brother got off light.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 05:44:28 AM »
We had a 2 stroke lawn boy when I was growing up.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.