Author Topic: HP apparently trying to lock down its printers again...  (Read 2976 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: HP apparently trying to lock down its printers again...
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 05:35:17 PM »
I finally gave up trying to keep a printer at home.  I only use it once in a blue moon and the ink always dries out.  My boss doesn't mind me printing at work the little I do print.  I would rather buy a ream of paper for work occasionally than keep investing in printers I don't use.  I can always print at Office Depot or other outfits also.

The first part, ink drying out, is why I recommend a laser.  Toner doesn't dry out.  It might go bad over a long enough period, but in most environments and most types, that's measured in years.  Just unplug when not in use.  Another possibility is the solid ink printers - the ink is a wax, not a liquid. 

I bought my printer because I was retiring and would no longer have steady access to a printer at work.  I can print at school now, but I needed something.  99% of my prints are B&W.  I don't really need color.  I only got a color laser because it was on special for less than the target black only laser.

If you want to print something that exceeds your ability - whether that be color, photo-ink, or even just something bigger than 8.5 by 11, by all means, hire a print shop to do it.  Their prices are reasonable in that respect.  Sure, it might be a couple more bucks than the ink and paper used directly in the project, but you're not using $1 of ink in the print job, you're using $100 because your ink dries out between print jobs and cartridges are only good for a couple print jobs, on average.  Also, rather than having the cost of the machine be a side note, if you only get 100 jobs out of a $500 printer, that's $5 in cost per job.